Odd Education/H-1B Sponsorship

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

jasonc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Odd Education/H-1B Sponsorship

Hi -

I am in a bizarre position and before I shell out the hard earned on an immigration lawyer (I saw one 2 years ago, who came highly recommended, but the advice they offered was less than sound!), a colleague suggested I try and put a post here to see if anyone could help...

Sorry to introduce myself to the forums in this way, I hope I'm not breaking protocol

I'm an IT Professional with 8 years "real" experience. I am currently running 3 development teams at a senior level within an Investment Bank in the City of London and would be able to get a number of letters of recommendation from within the bank if required.

I did my A-Levels, then left school - choosing not to go to University.

However, 4 years ago, I was accepted to do the University of Liverpool's on-line M.Sc in IT - they accepted me without an undergrad degree, based purely on the fact I had experience and letters of recommendation. I now have a post-graduate Masters Degree from the University of Liverpool.

Now - a former boss has switched to the States and has made me a very interesting offer, which hinges somewhat on my eligibility to work legally in the US.

I understand that there's a US "4 year equivalence bac. degree" or "3 years for every year you don't study" clause, so here goes:

1) If my credentials and work experience are perfect (I'm not saying they are - just hypothetically speaking), based on the fact I have 8 years experience and an M.Sc from the University of Liverpool - would this be sufficient to even pass eligibility criteria for an H-1B?

2) Similarly, if the above fails (or it doesn't) - my ex-colleague/former boss mentioned something about the "EB-2" Visa - essentially a Green Card, from what I can mine on-line... Would I be eligible for this (again, based on the hypothesis my credentials/work experience being highly recommended by Senior Management etc)?

I'm obviously not looking for a definitive "YES JASON" or "NO JASON" - but some friendly advice would be hugely appreciated and help me sleep...!

It'd only be me going - no wife/kids in tow.

Any takers?

Thanks very much
Jason
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Odd Education/H-1B Sponsorship

Speak to an immigration attorney...for H1B...it's a bachelors degree or 12 years experience in the field, so maybe you'll be alright for it.
Won't be able to apply till April/May, and if granted, wouldn't be given one till Oct anyway, so plenty of time there.

E visa is basically an investment visa, and as far as I understand, doesn't get you a greencard, directly at least.

Search www.aila.org for an immigration attorney....
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

jasonc is an unknown quantity at this point

Bob -

Many thanks for supplying that link. I have a preliminary with an Immigration Attorney on Tuesday afternoon.

Interestingly enough, she thinks that because I work for a bluechip multi-national, there are "ways and means" to bend the rules in your favour - rather than if you're trying to get out there with a new employer from scratch.

Would it be worthwhile posting my experiences on the board in case anyone finds themselves in a similar position?

Ta
Jase
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:48 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Yes keep posting. It helps everyone.

I have no college education but start my own company in the UK in 1988. 8 years later I started a US Branch and moved to the USA under the L1 program. Got green card in 1998 and applied for citizenship in 2003 (became citizen last year).

If you've worked for this guy in mangement then L1 might be an easier route. The H1 route would work too but they are introducing PERM which would make the Labor Certification process more strict (although in theory, fairer for all).