Oath - Dallas/Lubbock, TX

Old Oct 19th 2003, 12:26 am
dsr
Forum Regular

dsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oath - Dallas/Lubbock, TX

Background: Was interviewed in June 2003 for naturalization but to date have not received the oath date. I was interviewed at Dallas, TX and supposedly the oath is to take place at Lubbock.

1) Does anyone knows how long the wait is?

2) Someone might also tell me that if it delays the process of oath if someone changes the address but within the same INS District Office (in fact the same city)?

3) With this much delayed oath what should I do to expedite it, any advice?

4) Does Dallas office has a phone number to contact them? What is the best way to contact them?

5) Is it correct that between the interview and the oath you can travel outside of the U.S.A. as long as your trip is of less than six months --- the usual rule for green card?

6) Does anyone know what questions are asked on the form on the day of the oath?

7) Does anyone know the fax number of Dallas District Office where I can send the request to update the status?

Last edited by dsr; Oct 25th 2003 at 8:27 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 7:02 pm
pcm
Just Joined

pcm is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea about the emergency oath but I was also interviewed at the Dallas office in Feb. and then took the oath in July.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 7:29 am
dsr
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pcm
No idea about the emergency oath but I was also interviewed at the Dallas office in Feb. and then took the oath in July.

Thank you for the response did you take the oath at Lubbock Court-house also?

Last edited by dsr; Oct 23rd 2003 at 8:19 am.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 10:52 pm
hay228

Default Re: Oath - Dallas/Lubbock, TX

Anybody knows what is the schedule for oath(s)?
Do they do it every month/week? are there any
specific dates?

"pcm" <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > No idea about the emergency oath but I was also interviewed at the
    > Dallas office in Feb. and then took the oath in July.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:29 pm
pcm
Just Joined

Originally posted by dsr
Thank you for the response did you take the oath at Lubbock Court House also?

My oath ceremony was at the Dallas office itself where I had my interview. It was a Wednesday and I think since they do oath ceremonies once a month, the office was closed for all others. There were about 200 people taking the oath that day in two batches.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dsr
Was interviewed in June 2003 for naturalization but to date have not received the oath date. I was interviewed at Dallas, TX and supposedly the oath is to take place at Lubbock. As I need to travel can I get the emergency oath? Anyone knows how long the wait is?

It was explained to me by the BCIS that you can leave the country, but you should have someone check your mail for you while you are gone for notices. If you get your oath letter, but can't make the ceremony, then you just call the number on the letter and get it rescheduled. Usually the notices arrive well in adance of the ceremony, by more than a month.

If you don't have a valid green card, you get a temporary stamp at your ASC. Your foreign passport with a temporary stamp is all you need to travel on as a LPR.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:51 pm
dsr
Forum Regular

Originally posted by hay228
Anybody knows what is the schedule for oath(s)?
Do they do it every month/week? are there any
specific dates?

"pcm" <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > No idea about the emergency oath but I was also interviewed at the
    > Dallas office in Feb. and then took the oath in July.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
In specific for Lubbock, TX the last oath was in August 2003 and the one before was, I guess, 6-8 months before August 2003. Not much of a help or consolation.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:53 pm
dsr
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pcm
My oath ceremony was at the Dallas office itself where I had my interview. It was a Wednesday and I think since they do oath ceremonies once a month, the office was closed for all others. There were about 200 people taking the oath that day in two batches.
Thank you for the response and were you from such an area that you were supposed to take the oath at Lubbock Court house?
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:19 pm
pcm
Just Joined

Originally posted by dsr
Thank you for the response and were you from such an area that you were supposed to take the oath at Lubbock Court house?
I live about 35 miles from the Dallas office but I have no idea about taking the oath at the Lubbock courthouse.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:20 pm
dsr
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jaytee
It was explained to me by the BCIS that you can leave the country, but you should have someone check your mail for you while you are gone for notices. If you get your oath letter, but can't make the ceremony, then you just call the number on the letter and get it rescheduled. Usually the notices arrive well in adance of the ceremony, by more than a month.

If you don't have a valid green card, you get a temporary stamp at your ASC. Your foreign passport with a temporary stamp is all you need to travel on as a LPR.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:21 am
dsr
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pcm
I live about 35 miles from the Dallas office but I have no idea about taking the oath at the Lubbock courthouse.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dsr
Just go and get your passport stamped with temporary evidence of residency. It is not a problem at all when leaving or entering the country. The stamp has identifiers on it and you will be database checked like all other passengers. I was quite nervous about having to travel like this, but it was no different than travelling on a green card.

It will look like this:

"PROCESSED FOR I-551.
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENCE.
VALID UNTIL APRIL 25, 2003.
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED.

APRIL 26, 2002."

with my Alien # handwritten on top and the location code/abbrev. where the stamp was issued handwritten below it.

Amazingly, this was enough to get into and out of the country and travel the same as anybody else.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:29 pm
dsr
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jaytee
Just go and get your passport stamped with temporary evidence of residency. It is not a problem at all when leaving or entering the country. The stamp has identifiers on it and you will be database checked like all other passengers. I was quite nervous about having to travel like this, but it was no different than travelling on a green card.

It will look like this:

"PROCESSED FOR I-551.
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENCE.
VALID UNTIL APRIL 25, 2003.
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED.

APRIL 26, 2002."

with my Alien # handwritten on top and the location code/abbrev. where the stamp was issued handwritten below it.

Amazingly, this was enough to get into and out of the country and travel the same as anybody else.
I guess I missed something about this temporary stamp. My green card is valid for the next few years. Just waiting for the oath. Should I travel just like regular green card holder? What is I-551?

Last edited by dsr; Oct 23rd 2003 at 6:37 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:18 pm
pcm
Just Joined

Originally posted by dsr
I guess I missed something about this temporary stamp. My green card is valid for the next few years. Just waiting for the oath. Should I travel just like regular green card holder? What is I-551?
Absolutely, you don't need to worry about the stamp.That's something you get when your green card is first approved and you're waiting for your actual card to come in the mail. Since you've applied for your citizenship, you're way past that stage.

To further answer your question, yes, your green card is all you need to travel as long as you're not outside the country for more than 6 months. So do not worry about the stamp. When you apply for your citizenship, you're still a permanent resident till you take the oath.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:38 am
dsr
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pcm
Absolutely, you don't need to worry about the stamp.That's something you get when your green card is first approved and you're waiting for your actual card to come in the mail. Since you've applied for your citizenship, you're way past that stage.

To further answer your question, yes, your green card is all you need to travel as long as you're not outside the country for more than 6 months. So do not worry about the stamp. When you apply for your citizenship, you're still a permanent resident till you take the oath.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.