Oath ceremony letter received

Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

ben2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oath ceremony letter received

Hi Everyone,

I received the letter for oath ceremony. It'll be held on Oct 9th which happens to be my birthday too

One question, do I need to take my wife with me? It's all the way in Los Angeles at 8:00am.

How long is the ceremony generally?

Thanks
Ben
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath ceremony letter received

Congratulations on the scheduled ceremony. No you don't have to bring anyone with you, unless they wish to share the experience with you.

The ceremony will not be at 8 but that is the time that you need to be there so that the brief interviews can be conducted of all the celebrants as to their traveling during the wait between interview and ceremony, checking of the certificate for correctness, etc.

The oath, itself, is brief what might be time consuming is the pomp and circumstances of the ceremony .
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ben2
Hi Everyone,

I received the letter for oath ceremony. It'll be held on Oct 9th which happens to be my birthday too

One question, do I need to take my wife with me? It's all the way in Los Angeles at 8:00am.

Thanks
Ben
Hi:

Los Angeles is one of the few [maybe the only] jurisdictions that does judicial swearing in.

You imply that you are coming in from a long distance [some people consider coming in from Diamond Bar to be a long distance which will make people coming down from San Luis Obispo laugh, but I digress]. You might want to consider coming down the night before and stay in a motel/hotel due to morning commuting traffic. [Despite that recent MetroLink crash, you might want to consider train travel].

I forget if that ceremony is at the Sports Arena or at the Convention Center. But the former is adjacent to the Coliseum & USC, the later adjacent to Staples Center.

Your wife need not come, but it would be fun.

Make sure to take the opportunity to register to vote [I don't know if the registration is limited to L.A. County at the ceremony]. You can also apply for a passport there -- but you have to surrender your brand new naturalization certificate to accompany the application [it will come back later]. I recommend to my clients to make their passport applications the next day after having made a photocopy of the certificate for their records.

Good luck.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Los Angeles is one of the few [maybe the only] jurisdictions that does judicial swearing in.

You imply that you are coming in from a long distance [some people consider coming in from Diamond Bar to be a long distance which will make people coming down from San Luis Obispo laugh, but I digress]. You might want to consider coming down the night before and stay in a motel/hotel due to morning commuting traffic. [Despite that recent MetroLink crash, you might want to consider train travel].

I forget if that ceremony is at the Sports Arena or at the Convention Center. But the former is adjacent to the Coliseum & USC, the later adjacent to Staples Center.

Your wife need not come, but it would be fun.

Make sure to take the opportunity to register to vote [I don't know if the registration is limited to L.A. County at the ceremony]. You can also apply for a passport there -- but you have to surrender your brand new naturalization certificate to accompany the application [it will come back later]. I recommend to my clients to make their passport applications the next day after having made a photocopy of the certificate for their records.

Good luck.
Thanks, it's the Convention Center.
1. what's the proper attire for this ceremony?
2. I should take just green card, this letter.
3. I didnt go out of the country since my interview so I dont have any Reentry permit/Refugee Travel document
4. Immigration document, is that my passport?

-Ben
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I wore a suit... others were in business casual. I don't remember anyone in jeans.

... and your passport.

Ian
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Thanks, it's the Convention Center.
3. I didnt go out of the country since my interview so I dont have any Reentry permit/Refugee Travel document
4. Immigration document, is that my passport?

-Ben
Hi:

For the convention center -- see http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/16/local/me-22868 for methods of getting there.

On attire, I usually say what is not appropriate -- shorts, sandals and a tank top. Wear at least closed shoes and for males, long pants and a shirt with a collar.

If the only immigration document you have is your green card, then bring just that. Your foreign passport is not what they mean. I know the thing is a tad confusing.

Make sure to fill out the back of the notice BEFORE you get there. You will see two videos -- Lee Greenwood & George W. Bush.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

For the convention center -- see http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/16/local/me-22868 for methods of getting there.

On attire, I usually say what is not appropriate -- shorts, sandals and a tank top. Wear at least closed shoes and for males, long pants and a shirt with a collar.

If the only immigration document you have is your green card, then bring just that. Your foreign passport is not what they mean. I know the thing is a tad confusing.

Make sure to fill out the back of the notice BEFORE you get there. You will see two videos -- Lee Greenwood & George W. Bush.
Thanks everyone, I have been a member of this forum since early 2003 when I applied for my green card. Now the long journey is about to end next month.
I found the members of this forum very kind and helpful. You have saved me a lot of money and time, as I have done all applications/ paperwork myself with your help.
Keep up the good work!

Good luck to everyone.

-Ben
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, ben, and Happy Birthday!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Ben
Ben, I just went through mine last Friday in Tampa. I went with my wife, and we had a great time, in fact they made it into a big party,which I never expected and I would not have wanted my wife to miss it . Tampa is very casual, and people were wearing shorts and T. Shirts, which I normally do, but decided it was a big day, and wore a Tie. 8am is the time we had to be there, but thats to make sure everyone else gets there on time. The ceremony started at 9am, and took approximately 1.5 hours. They swore in 532 people from 90 different countries. I'm not sure if it's the same in LA, but they set up a passport centre for you if you need to get one in a hurry, but there was far too many people in the line for me to wait! Oh and by the way, you have to surrender you Green Card, it's a Federal Offence to be a citizen with a Green Card, it even tells you in the letter that you have to take your GC (I'm sure you must have the same letter I had) You would do well to make sure you have your own black pen with you, the amount of people trying to borrow pens! They told us that last week in LA, they swore in 18,000 people in one day alone!!

Have a great time and many happy returns of the day!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point

When did you have your interview?
My one was in Santa Ana on 25 July. Since that day I am desperately waiting for the letter with the invitation for citizenship ceremeny.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by n1na
My one was in Santa Ana on 25 July. Since that day I am desperately waiting for the letter with the invitation for citizenship ceremeny.
Hi:

My September 23d interview in Los Angeles will be sworn in on October 9th. My two interviews in early August in Los Angeles were sworn in on September 26th. That said, I have a section 329 interview from the end of July that is still waiting. However, CIS blows hot and cold on military naturalizations.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by n1na
My interview was on Sept 12th in santa ana.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point

Folinskyinla, Ben2,

it looks like that the major celebration will take part on Oct 9.
Do you have the phone number of this place? If yes, it would help me to call them and check if my name ist among the participants.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:51 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I wore a suit... others were in business casual. I don't remember anyone in jeans.

... and your passport.

Ian
Why does he need to take his passport?
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by g1ant
Why does he need to take his passport?
Yep, they are not interested in your passport now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.