O/T: Extra income

Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:15 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O/T: Extra income

Hi, all.

I have a VERY well paid job right now, and Corey and I were discussing him leaving his hell-on-earth job so he can go to school and study full time for a career he'd actually enjoy, but he's not comfortable about leaving unless we can earn a bit more than we'd be getting just on my income.

I'd been toying with the idea of working from home in my spare time even before this, (I can only sit on my lazy ass doing nothing but watch movies for so long without getting antsy! ) but I'm so wary of all the scams out there, I don't know where to look.

I called a few temp agencies I used to be signed up with, and they all said that clerical/admin work from home is very hard to come by, and it's mostly found through word of mouth.

Are there any great Human Resource brains out there who might be able to give me some good advice? I already looked on the main jobseekers sites, but the majority of the work is that mystery shopping or working online/sales/telesales. Any advice would be cool. Thanks!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T: Extra income

Why does it have to be done at home? If you have free time in the evenings and if Corey is planning on going to night school and working during the days, why don't you look into be a shopper/earn runner for some of the elder citizens in your Florida community. You have to admit that are plenty of those. You can pick up their drug prescriptions, dry cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. Works for even full time wage earners who don't have free time to do the little times that need doing.

Rete

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hi, all.

I have a VERY well paid job right now, and Corey and I were discussing him leaving his hell-on-earth job so he can go to school and study full time for a career he'd actually enjoy, but he's not comfortable about leaving unless we can earn a bit more than we'd be getting just on my income.

I'd been toying with the idea of working from home in my spare time even before this, (I can only sit on my lazy ass doing nothing but watch movies for so long without getting antsy! ) but I'm so wary of all the scams out there, I don't know where to look.

I called a few temp agencies I used to be signed up with, and they all said that clerical/admin work from home is very hard to come by, and it's mostly found through word of mouth.

Are there any great Human Resource brains out there who might be able to give me some good advice? I already looked on the main jobseekers sites, but the majority of the work is that mystery shopping or working online/sales/telesales. Any advice would be cool. Thanks!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:53 pm

Originally posted by Rete
Why does it have to be done at home? If you have free time in the evenings and if Corey is planning on going to night school and working during the days, why don't you look into be a shopper/earn runner for some of the elder citizens in your Florida community. You have to admit that are plenty of those. You can pick up their drug prescriptions, dry cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. Works for even full time wage earners who don't have free time to do the little times that need doing.

Rete
He wants to go to school full time in the day, and I was hoping for work at home so that I could still be with him in the evenings, and I wouldn't wear myself out going out at night. That's why I thought of clerical work. We have an extra computer I can use to type envelopes or labels and such, so it'd be ideal, and that way, he can use his own for any schoolwork he may need to do, and I
can earn cash in the comfort of our home, and keep myself from turning into a total couch potato!

Kate. xxxx
Old Apr 30th 2004, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
He wants to go to school full time in the day, and I was hoping for work at home so that I could still be with him in the evenings, and I wouldn't wear myself out going out at night. That's why I thought of clerical work. We have an extra computer I can use to type envelopes or labels and such, so it'd be ideal, and that way, he can use his own for any schoolwork he may need to do, and I
can earn cash in the comfort of our home, and keep myself from turning into a total couch potato!

Kate. xxxx

Ooops sorry. I was assuming he would be doing the school/work thing the way I did.

If you are a "good" typist and a perfectionist, then a suggestion would be to post your proposal on the bulletin boards at all the colleges, community centers, etc. There would be term papers to be typed, community newsletters to type and label/distribute.

The best of luck to you Kate. Won't be easy but it will be worthwhile.

Rita
Old Apr 30th 2004, 4:13 pm

Originally posted by Rete
Ooops sorry. I was assuming he would be doing the school/work thing the way I did.

If you are a "good" typist and a perfectionist, then a suggestion would be to post your proposal on the bulletin boards at all the colleges, community centers, etc. There would be term papers to be typed, community newsletters to type and label/distribute.

The best of luck to you Kate. Won't be easy but it will be worthwhile.

Rita

Wow!!! Thanks, Rete, I never thought about community newsletters. There's quite a few colleges dotted around here, so I'll look into that!

Thanks for the best wishes. I know it'll be tough, but I just sit and fester on the couch all night, and I'd love to have something constructive to do! I love typing, too, so I'd be in my element!

Thanks again!

Kate. xxx
Old Apr 30th 2004, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

Have you thought about direct sales? I mean like, Pampered Chef, Creative Memories, Avon, Mary Kay, Princess House etc. They aren't real time consuming and depending on how much time you are willing to put into them you could earn some extra cash (I do one of those but it's mostly for my own use at this point). It's just a thought.

For spending money I babysit. The parents really like having some one who's older to watch their kids plus I drive. If you get involved with families with good incomes it can be a great source of extra cash plus it's relatively stress free and I can say if I do or don't want to take a job. I've been able to make as much in one weekend as I would have if I had a part time retail job in a week. It's just a thought. I know that when I was in college a lot of people posted in the student center looking for babysitters, so if you live near colleges you could look at those adds while you're posting your add for typing

Those are my little bits on the side. My husband doesn't quite understand why I do them but I enjoy it and since we don't have any kids of our own yet it gives me good practice.

A way off thought would be medical transcriptionist. I know someone who trained for that and did it at home for some extra cash.

Hope you figure out something to do that you enjoy

MarDae
Old Apr 30th 2004, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

optimist is an unknown quantity at this point

kate.... take a look at these job ads for data entry/homebased typist... maybe u'll find smthg....

http://www.jobvertise.com/search?com...ement%20Inc%2e

type data entry in the keyword space...

i've just received a letter from a job interview... the operations manager really liked me but unfortunately their hiring process is on hold for right now... so..i'm still looking...

oh yeah..and waiting for the EAD

gabriel..seeya...............