Nonimmigrant IV question

Old May 24th 2020, 6:59 am
Just Joined

GrapeJ42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nonimmigrant IV question

I have a question about the visa application for the question that asks "Have you traveled to any countries/regions within the last five years?"

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I assume the last five years means exactly that ....going back the previous five years from the date of the application. For example for today's date it would be the five year period between 24 May 2015 - 24 May 2020, is that correct?

Last edited by GrapeJ42; May 24th 2020 at 7:40 am.
Old May 24th 2020, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant IV question

What else could it mean ?
Old May 24th 2020, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the textbook response to this is from Ian:

1) Take each question at face value;
2) Do not ascribe any meaning to the question beyond that which is plainly written; and
3) Do not try to alter the question to fit your circumstances.
Old May 24th 2020, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeJ42
I have a question about the visa application for the question that asks "Have you traveled to any countries/regions within the last five years?"

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I assume the last five years means exactly that ....going back the previous five years from the date of the application. For example for today's date it would be the five year period between 24 May 2015 - 24 May 2020, is that correct?

please note we ask that our members do not ask questions re immigration via PM. Please post your questions on the forums, that way if someone gives you bad advice it gives others a chance to rectify it.
Old May 24th 2020, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the replies, to Scot and Tom I believe the way I am reading it is correct then? (Going back 5 years from the date it's being completed), sorry I do not know who Ian is.

I did see another member answer alot of questions on the forum previously (Noorah101) if you do view this topic I would appreciate your input too.

Thank you all

Last edited by GrapeJ42; May 24th 2020 at 3:37 pm.
Old May 24th 2020, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the replies, to Scot and Tom I believe the way I am reading it is correct then..sorry I do not know who Ian is.

I did see another member answer alot of questions on the forum previously (Noorah101) if you do view this topic I would appreciate your input too.

Thank you all
Why?

You have your answer. Just because someone else posts a lot does not mean their advice will be any different?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 24th 2020 at 4:10 pm. Reason: Uncalled for
Old May 24th 2020, 3:40 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, there is some legal dispute on the meaning. It may be May 25, 2015 to May 24, 2020. That said, normally the one day is not an issue.
Old May 24th 2020, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi S Folinsky,

I used one of the date/time calculator sites to subtract 5 years from the day to get the exact date 5 years ago.

Apologies for having the topic dragged out, I appreciate all users input that was provided I was just ensuring I understood it correctly.

Thanks again everyone, have a great rest of your day!

Old May 24th 2020, 5:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In case this is not a windup, it is 5 years from the date you complete the application.

Common sense and rationalization will tell you that it can be nothing but that. As for the May 25, 2015 versus May 24, 2020, unless you have traveled on May 24, 2015 it is a moot point.

I will say, however, if you did travel in the month of May 2015, I would go from the date of that last travel just to be on the safe side.

Not being snide or condescending, you would be one of the people who would receive the most value from engaging the services of a lawyer for completing your forms.
Old May 24th 2020, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rete,

Thanks for the reply, I definitely understand, apologies I was just ensuring my understanding is correct which it is.

I have my answer and thank all for their input, this can be closed.
Old May 24th 2020, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the replies, to Scot and Tom I believe the way I am reading it is correct then? (Going back 5 years from the date it's being completed), sorry I do not know who Ian is.

Thank you all
Ian was a long-standing member of the forum. I copied that list from a stickied thread.

​​​​​