Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Washington Post on immigration forms

Washington Post on immigration forms

Old May 27th 2020, 2:20 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washington Post on immigration forms

Article on USCIS rejection of filings.
Old May 27th 2020, 12:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washington Post on immigration forms

it's behind a paywall, any chance you could quote the relevant passages?
Old May 27th 2020, 12:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It basically says applications are being denied for leaving spaces blank.

Rene
Old May 27th 2020, 1:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

if you file online, from my experience, you can't leave a space blank.
It actually makes sense that if you don't answer the questions that it gets kicked back.

I was ridiculed in another thread for getting the assistance of an attorney for an n400 application but honestly, when I read/hear stories like this it really makes me want to get one. What you don't know absolutely can hurt you.
Old May 27th 2020, 1:58 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
if you file online, from my experience, you can't leave a space blank.
It actually makes sense that if you don't answer the questions that it gets kicked back.

I was ridiculed in another thread for getting the assistance of an attorney for an n400 application but honestly, when I read/hear stories like this it really makes me want to get one. What you don't know absolutely can hurt you.
That was not my experience with my N400, the online form actually did not carry though some of information I imputed (I had screen shots). My interviewer did not seem phased, just filled it in, even changed my Citizenship In box 11. because he said the one I had chosen was wrong. Although I am sure I followed the guidance for the form correctly (if you have more than 1 Citizenship to list the one that issued your last passport) but he wanted it to match my country of birth in item 10.

This was back in 2019 though.

Last edited by tht; May 27th 2020 at 2:43 pm.
Old May 27th 2020, 1:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

'Rejection' of a petition for processing and 'denial' of a petition are 2 different things. I don't see asking someone to properly complete the form is a bad thing, although I would recognize the original priority date when the applicant resubmits.
Old May 27th 2020, 2:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
it's behind a paywall, any chance you could quote the relevant passages?
Don't know if this will help, but I am able to read it on my phone, but not on my computer.

One of the problems cited is leaving the section blank when a child did not have a middle name, and how N/A has to be inserted. However, an attorney quoted in the article says that could create problems of its own, "There's going to be just hundreds of people processed under the Trump administration who will legally have the middle name "N/A." I think we can all agree with that, having seen some crazy errors with the most basic names.
Old May 27th 2020, 2:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
.... One of the problems cited is leaving the section blank when a child did not have a middle name, and how N/A has to be inserted. However, an attorney quoted in the article says that could create problems of its own, "There's going to be just hundreds of people processed under the Trump administration who will legally have the middle name "N/A." I think we can all agree with that, having seen some crazy errors with the most basic names.
I ended up with a green card, where my name appears to have been based on reading my signature, which is idiomatic and does not entirely match how my name is spelled, so left me with a surname on my green card that was an English word but AFAIK not a name, like Jones changed to Bones.

Also my Nationality as specificed on my green card appears to have been based on reading the copy of my passport, which shows the issuing country as "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - so my nationality was given as "Irish"!
Old May 27th 2020, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't know if this will help, but I am able to read it on my phone, but not on my computer.

One of the problems cited is leaving the section blank when a child did not have a middle name, and how N/A has to be inserted. However, an attorney quoted in the article says that could create problems of its own, "There's going to be just hundreds of people processed under the Trump administration who will legally have the middle name "N/A." I think we can all agree with that, having seen some crazy errors with the most basic names.
I remember being advised that you should put two dashes "--" on that line.
Old May 27th 2020, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is what happens when I suspect Government bureaucrats who have never done front line work implement a form without asking for feedback and don't include instructions with the form as to leave non applicable boxes blank or put whatever in that box knowing that this form will be used by others to produce other documents. I also suspect that there are cases where a person reading completed forms cannot apply common sense when looking at a box called middle name marked N/A believes that this is the persons actual middle name.
Old May 27th 2020, 4:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This is what happens when I suspect Government bureaucrats who have never done front line work implement a form without asking for feedback and don't include instructions with the form as to leave non applicable boxes blank or put whatever in that box knowing that this form will be used by others to produce other documents. I also suspect that there are cases where a person reading completed forms cannot apply common sense when looking at a box called middle name marked N/A believes that this is the persons actual middle name.
This would apply in the overwhelming majority of cases, but there are weird name outliers that can sometimes throw a wrench in the works if you try to apply a "common sense" standard. So for example Harry S Truman didn't have a middle name, he only had a middle initial, so any form that demanded a full middle name from would tend to fail.

There are also very rare names that can cause issues, especially with spellings, compounded by the common American trait of not using block letters when completing forms - something which Mrs P (USC) flat-out refuses to do, saying that it is "unnecessary".
Old May 27th 2020, 4:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I remember being advised that you should put two dashes "--" on that line.
That was my advice. From what I understand, that may no longer work.