Non marriage visa

Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

04dalyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non marriage visa

I've been down the various rabbit holes of Visas on the internet so apologies if this is basic or have come up before but I just need clarification.

I am a UK citizen, freelance with a girlfriend that has dual citizenship in USA and the UK. We live together and can prove it's serious but don't want to get married purely for this purpose.

We both live in the UK and want to both move to the USA, she has a tone of family there and i've visited a few times.

Any advice on what could work would be great!
Old Nov 10th 2016, 9:30 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non marriage visa

Unless you have $500k to 'invest' in a Green Card, marriage it is!

You don't give enough information regarding your work to reach a conclusion on anything else.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04dalyj
We both live in the UK and want to both move to the USA...
Your girlfriend can move to the US whenever she wants to. You, however will need a visa. If you're not willing to get married, then it's unlikely you'll ever get a visa to live/work in the US. I could explain why, but there are already a lot of threads that do that. There is a handy "search" feature on the right side of each page.

Any advice on what could work would be great!
If you could give us an idea of your education, skills, and experience we might be able to suggest something - but simply going by what you've posted - well, it's just not going to happen unless you get married.

Ian
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04dalyj
I've been down the various rabbit holes of Visas on the internet so apologies if this is basic or have come up before but I just need clarification.

I am a UK citizen, freelance with a girlfriend that has dual citizenship in USA and the UK. We live together and can prove it's serious but don't want to get married purely for this purpose.

We both live in the UK and want to both move to the USA...
So you both want to live in the USA, together, on the same continent, but don't want to get married to make that happen? Why not?

Above, where you say you don't want to get married "for this purpose", what purpose are you referring to, if it's not the fact that you want to continue to live together on one continent?

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Like others have said above, you haven't told us enough to advise on the possibility of a work visa, but there is no "shack up with my boy/girlfriend visa". .... Unlike some other countries which offer unmarried domestic partner visas, there is no visa type available for an unmarried partner of a US citizen*.

* Under some circumstances someone on a work visa can get a visa for unmarried partner.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 10th 2016 at 3:54 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 9:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Like others have said above, you haven't told us enough to advise on the possibility of a work visa, but there is no "shack up with my boy/girlfriend visa". .... Unlike some other countries which offer unmarried domestic partner visas, there is no visa type available for an unmarried partner of a US citizen*.

* Under some circumstances someone on a work visa can get a visa for unmarried partner.
This is his other thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...ations-887286/
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
but there is no "shack up with my boy/girlfriend visa". ....

BE'ers would be out of work if such a thing existed!!