Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

NOA 2 recieved but still hanging in Chinese limbo

NOA 2 recieved but still hanging in Chinese limbo

Old Dec 22nd 2002, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

tparrent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NOA 2 recieved but still hanging in Chinese limbo

NOA 2 was received on Nov 5 but the GuangZhou consulate still claims they have not recieved the packet which Nebraska said they would send express mail.

Now I know that it can take GZ 4 or 5 months to find a file after it arrives in their mailroom. That's quite common apparently. Nonetheless, I would like to make sure that Nebraska actually sent the package. Is there any way to check that?
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 3:10 pm
Oregon/ShangHai

donahso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOA 2 recieved but still hanging in Chinese limbo

Tom, call the info number on the bottom of the NOA2 during business hours and talk to a live body. First thing in the morning worked best for me. Some are more live than others, but insist on getting the date your file was mailed to GZ. The approved date is interesting, but until it is actually sent it the clock isn't ticking.

P2 ~ P3 has been running about 45 days (30 ~ 60). If your file was sent soon after the approval, you should be hearing something. Get the email address for the IV Unit on the GZ website and fire off an inquiry asking if they have received her file. Make sure you put her last name, first name, date of birth and the approval number (if there is one) in the subject line. GZ usually responds within a few days.

Format the message like a letter and s/with your full name. Attach a jpg of her name & address in Chinese so they can use it to print a mailing label to send the P3. Do this at least once a week until you get confirmation that P3 has been sent, but remember to give them time to respond between emails.

When they tell you the P3 has been sent, give it 4 ~ 10 days because they use snail mail - not EMS. Part of the time will include when the system is updated until the P3 actually is picked up by China Mail. The rest of the time will depend on where she lives. If it doesn't show in 10 days to 2 weeks, start back on GZ and request a duplicate P3 on the assumption that the first one was lost.

After she receives the P3, tell her not to wait to get the documents on the checklist....sign and return Part I of the DS-230, OF-169 and the supplemental form. Return it to GZ by EMS and get the tracking number. She can call a couple days later to confirm it was delivered. For some reason, the consulate's EMS mail is delivered to the White Swan Hotel and then someone from the consulate picks it up from them. No, I don't know what that is about - it just is. You can email the White Swan to find out when it was picked up. Also have her fax the same documents to GZIV for safety.

When you received confirmation that all appears well, email the consulate and find out if they have the returned P3 in their system. Again, follow up until you have an affirmative answer.

Then, unfortunately, another wait begins that can run 2 ~ 4 months until they spit out the P-4 with an interview date. Good Luck!

-Don H

Originally posted by tparrent
NOA 2 was received on Nov 5 but the GuangZhou consulate still claims they have not recieved the packet which Nebraska said they would send express mail.

Now I know that it can take GZ 4 or 5 months to find a file after it arrives in their mailroom. That's quite common apparently. Nonetheless, I would like to make sure that Nebraska actually sent the package. Is there any way to check that?