Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

No American Passport and may need to traveil

No American Passport and may need to traveil

Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really nice
Default No American Passport and may need to traveil

I knew this would happen. I sent off for my passport yesterday, and then Mom calls today to tell me Dad is in the hospital and not in good shape.
What do I do? My certificate is with my passport application!
Do I use my Canadian passport if I need to go?
Bonnie
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No American Passport and may need to traveil

Originally Posted by Bonnie and Dennis French
I knew this would happen. I sent off for my passport yesterday, and then Mom calls today to tell me Dad is in the hospital and not in good shape.
Bonnie
Oh shoot!
I suppose you want to fly...?

The latest story like this I read, the person reached the immigration liason of their friendliest representative (Congressman or Senator) and got an expedite.

When it happened (sorta) similar to us, we went to the Passport Authority office and got a same-day passport.. but, we still had the Certificate in hand.

I hope Dad is OK.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:54 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie and Dennis French
Bonnie

Getting back to the US will be the problem. How long is the wait for the expedite PP? Perhaps you will still be in Canada at the time of it being received and Dennis can mail it to you?

In any case I would attempt what Meauxna advised.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really nice

Dad passed away at 9:20 tonight . I have since been on the phone with my new beaurcrats trying to find someone who can help me. I was told by the lady at the passport number to go to immigration and get a Life and Death paper explaining the emergency, then travel to Miami to get a passport.....Miami is three hours south of us. WTF!
I am at my wits end. I should not have to deal with this......I am waiting for a call back to see if I can get proof of his death faxed to me.
We put in a call to Bill Nelson, but of course it is after hours and no one is answering it....
I cannot go back to Canada and wait. I have a job and Robyn has school. I am more of a hostage to this country now than when I was an immigrant.
Bonnie
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your extremely sad loss. Its the call none of us Expats want to get.
Hope all works out well, with Passport office. Fingers crossed. The expedited passports are done in a strange fashion, friend in NYC needed one & lived 100yards from the NYC Passport expedite office, but she was sent to Connecticut. Seems NYC was already backed up with them, for that day
Condolences to you & your family.
Reg. Frank R
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My deepest condolences for your loss All of us who are either immigrants or have immigrant spouses understand what you must be going through.

I hope you can get something quickly and get back to your family.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very sorry for your loss Bonnie. My condolences to both you and Dennis.

Does anyone know if she still could drive across the border without a passport? If the destination in Canada is near the border, maybe Bonnie could fly to a US city near there and then drive across?

I'm praying this will get worked out soon!

Elaine

Last edited by HunterGreen; Jan 31st 2008 at 2:25 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your good wishes.
After a sleepless night we set off for Orlando and arrived at about 7:45. I was walking towards the front door when I saw the man who had presided over my swearing in walking towards me. I stopped him and explained the situation.
He told me to take the copy of the certificate and go. His words to me were" You are a US citizen now. Surely they will show some compassion to you at the border."
Then when we were on our way home, Bill Nelson (D) for Florida office returned our calls and basically gave me the same answer.
We are flying out tomorrow. Robyn was chosen for a leadership/team building activity at school that was very important. I didn't want to make him choose, so I made the decision for him.
I guess one of the things that really disturbs me is when I talked to the Passport office, the person there never once volunteered the information that a passport was not yet necessary. I told her I had a copy of my certificate, and she still felt I needed a passport to reenter this country.
Wouldn't it be great if every one knew the same thing?

For those of you who may be Canadian reading this, my Dad was a staunch Toronto Maple Leafs fan. Robyn thought he would live long enough to see them win the Cup again I have asked my Mom to order blue and white flowers from Robyn.
Bryan, who is getting ready to ship out to Afghanistan for the third time this month will be flying home also.
Once again thank you all so much.
The hardest part has been not being there for my mother.
Bonnie
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Bonnie, my condolences for your loss.

The land border crossing rules change just today: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacati..._in_proced.xml
but for flying you did need a passport normally.

I hope you get home to comfort your mom soon. Travel safely.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you can go now with relative peace of mind about this, Bonnie. Wishing you much strength.

Elaine
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of

Please know that I will keep you an your family in my prayers and thoughts. My deepest sympathy for you.