New appliances which one is best?

Old Jul 21st 2006, 5:59 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New appliances which one is best?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sears will match any price...I told them prices and they just said OK we'll match that. I have a Maytag Neptune front loader washer and dryer, which washes clothes much better than the top loaders but falls way short of UK washers. I have a Maytag side by side fridge/freezer which I am not happy with.
Am looking at the maytag washers, front loaders but am interested in why they are not up to UK specs, also why don't you like your maytag fridge as we were looking at their french door one. The maytag shop was very helpful and good deals if you catch my pattern.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:06 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
go to borders, have a flip through those noncy home mags, and then look through something like Wallpaper mag, it's a pretty good design type mag, lot of adverts for really nice high end stuff, so a good way to get names and specs to check out.

if your a bit flush for money, Samsung make a kick arse cooker that you can dump food in and it'll keep it cool till ready to be cooked and can be set on a timer and if your going to be late you can ring or email the machine with a code for a new time, or to keep food warm etc.

if you can find it, and I did see one somewhere, those retro SMEG fridges are awesome, cost more than an arm and a leg at the random little place that I saw it in, and wouldn't have a clue where...
Couldn't see the samsung cooker though sounds good and too expensive sadly. The smeg fridges seem to be just for the UK on a quick search. Might try some of those mags though isn't a wallpaper mag about wallpaper (never heard of it) lol.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Only brand ive heard to stay away from is whirlpool. several different in laws had em and had big issues. My sis in law seems happy with LG fridge freezer side by side though
thanks for the tip re whirlpool bit worrying then that either they have taken over maytag or maytag taken over them. And I didn't know Jen-air was part of maytag, I thought Jenn-air was the most sought after reasonable cooker you could get! LG do seem to get a good rep with fridges.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Love my maytag washer and dryer---all that capacity and only 20 min to wash and 30 min to dry...and can fit in the duvets. Heaven after using a dinky UK washer all those years. Our place came with all other appliances--love the Jenn-Air as it has a griddle, grill, etc.

Have a look at the big stores like Best Buy to compare prices and features (ice cubes and cold water on the outside, inside, not at all, adjustable shelves, etc).
Kenmore is excellent-got our hoover and a few things there (Sears are also great for tools).

Consumer reports magazine or buying guides are great and Good Housekeeping is an excellent resource as they test and rate all new appliances. I actually emailed them with a few questions when I was trying to get my head round US appliances, mainly the energy and capacity differences between US and UK washers. They said that they UK washers are small (for the obvious reason of smaller kitchens) and take ages to run in order to use less water. Glad to see the US get on the front-loader bandwagon and use less water. I would still argue that using my US washer and dryer is more efficient...as we do 4 times the laundry in 1/4 the time. Heaven...
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Sears will match any price...I told them prices and they just said OK we'll match that. I have a Maytag Neptune front loader washer and dryer, which washes clothes much better than the top loaders but falls way short of UK washers. I have a Maytag side by side fridge/freezer which I am not happy with.
Curious, why do you feel your Maytag isn't us to UK specs? I feel ours goes above and beyond...on capacity and operating time. I love doing the weekly laundry in a matter of hours instead of a matter of days...and with the capacity to do the duvets. Brill!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:15 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Only brand ive heard to stay away from is whirlpool. several different in laws had em and had big issues. My sis in law seems happy with LG fridge freezer side by side though

I've always had Whirlpool and never had a problem (until now!). In Az we bought a brand new Whirlpool washer/dryer which we had for 10 yrs, then sold when we moved to a friend because they were still in great shape. He had them for a couple of years after that too!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:37 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Blaze that burning smell would have me worried as well!

That's precisely why I don't run appliances when I'm not at home!
My brand new Kenmore dryer caught fire a few years ago....since then I don't run them either!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Am looking at the maytag washers, front loaders but am interested in why they are not up to UK specs, also why don't you like your maytag fridge as we were looking at their french door one. The maytag shop was very helpful and good deals if you catch my pattern.
Most US washers don't heat the water so the clothes are washed at tap temperature, unlike the UK washers that heat the water to the required temperature. Also the wash cycle is so short about 30/40 mins compared with 2 hrs in the UK, can't possibly wash the clothes as well. The spinner only has one speed....slow....the clothes come out almost wet, compared to the UK spinner the clothes were almost dry when I took them out. The drums on both the washer and dryer only go in one direction, therefore if you are washing/drying large and small items they finish up in one big ball. I would buy another Maytag washer/dryer as I do think they are amongst the best here.

The Maytag fridge does not keep the food as cold as a much cheaper one I have in the garage, although I have had the engineer out several times. I have had several problems with the freezer. Fortunately I have a maintenance contract with Sears. Next time I buy a fridge I would be GE or Sears own brand Kenmore.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TouristTrap]
Originally Posted by blaze

My brand new Kenmore dryer caught fire a few years ago....since then I don't run them either!

Everytime I use the dryer I always take out the lint collector and push a brush down into the gap to clear all the lint out. This house was new when moved here, so hopefully I have kept the vent hose pretty free from lint build up as this is the major cause of dryer fires. Dryers should never be left on if there is no one in the house.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:19 am

Most US washers don't heat the water so the clothes are washed at tap temperature, unlike the UK washers that heat the water to the required temperature. Also the wash cycle is so short about 30/40 mins compared with 2 hrs in the UK, can't possibly wash the clothes as well. The spinner only has one speed....slow....the clothes come out almost wet, compared to the UK spinner the clothes were almost dry when I took them out. The drums on both the washer and dryer only go in one direction, therefore if you are washing/drying large and small items they finish up in one big ball. I would buy another Maytag washer/dryer as I do think they are amongst the best here.
Did not know that about dryer going in one direction.
Also about lint causing dryer fires. But do you think your clothes come out as clean here as the UK cause that's the big test?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:28 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Shopping for appliances is fun! We just bought a new house too, and just bought a new fridge, cooker and dishwasher.

We bought the Jenn-air dual fuel range:

The Maytag French Door Ice 2 0 fridge:

and the Maytag Jetclean dishwasher:

The guy in the Maytag store was really helpful and explained each model and the features they had. We got a discount for buying all three at once and got interest free credit for two years. They also deliver exactly on the date you want which is important to us as we're having the house built at the moment and the kitchen's not in yet.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

The Maytag fridge does not keep the food as cold as a much cheaper one I have in the garage, although I have had the engineer out several times. I have had several problems with the freezer. Fortunately I have a maintenance contract with Sears. Next time I buy a fridge I would be GE or Sears own brand Kenmore.

My US washers have always had temp setting--cold, med and hot..and they have multiple spins, too. The water is certainly hot! However, we usually cold usually though, since it preserves the life of the clothing (esp blue jeans and black items--they don't fade as fast as in the UK), esp with the new deep cleaning cool water detergents. (Again, good housekeeping and consumer reports are both fab at giving the ratings).

Hmmm, guess it's just one of those choices of preference. Hands down prefer the US--clothes are always clean and fresh and I love the speed. Shouldn't take 2 hrs to spin clothes around to get them clean...unless something like a bad stain needs a pre-treat.

Having a dryer is a luxury as we never had one in the UK-fantastic. But yes, you do need to be careful of the lint as in some cases it can overheat. Empty the lint tray after each use and you'll be fine.

Used Ariel in the UK and use Tide in the US as they are one in the same...love that the chore doesn't take nearly so long!

Last edited by jen_andreson; Jul 22nd 2006 at 6:35 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Shopping for appliances is fun! We just bought a new house too, and just bought a new fridge, cooker and dishwasher.

The Maytag French Door Ice 2 0 fridge:

and the Maytag Jetclean dishwasher:

The guy in the Maytag store was really helpful and explained each model and the features they had. We got a discount for buying all three at once and got interest free credit for two years. They also deliver exactly on the date you want which is important to us as we're having the house built at the moment and the kitchen's not in yet.
I am drooling - love your appliances. Agree with your re maytag store, very helpful and if buy 3 appliances give you a deal and $300 off another purchas (or a kitchen aid mixer). Do you like your maytag french door really like the look and features but don't know about reliability and cooling etc. Am looking between a Jen-air and a kenmore elite. Does your Jen-air bake well and evenly, and is it a convection oven? I love the idea of a double oven here but the bottom seems very low down to me to get things in and out and does the top oven have the self cleaning feature also? Thanks sales assistant
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rockgurl

[img]

GORGEOUS! Excellent choices! Enjoy your new appliances.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Maytag is now owned by the Whirlpool corp
who also own
Roper
Supermatic
Inglis
Gladiator
Acros
Estate

Last edited by Ray; Jul 22nd 2006 at 7:13 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.