New appliances which one is best?

Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:46 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default New appliances which one is best?

Just bought a new home at last Moving in 17 Aug. Have to buy a free standing range, a fridge/freezer, washer and dryer. And install air/con (saw that thread - thanks though any tips installing one from scratch would be great!)

Looking at a smoothtop cooker primarily as I HATE those burner pans I am trying to clean unsuccessfully now. The fridge I want to go french door but don't know what type is better/reliable. Washer would like front load.

Online there seems to be only consumer reports.org. I bought a 'which' recommended dishwasher in the UK which was a heap of junk so don't know about going with consumer reports.
So any help, tips, and what do you have and what do you like/dislike about it would be very much appreciated.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New appliances which one is best?

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Looking at a smoothtop cooker primarily as I HATE those burner pans I am trying to clean unsuccessfully now. The fridge I want to go french door but don't know what type is better/reliable. Washer would like front load.
Probably a good idea to stay away from gas cookers anyway as the price of gas went up 400% last year or something I heard the other day, can't see it getting any cheaper either!

I know it sounds silly but aswell as looking in reports I load up Amazon and read what people have written about them. Some of them are stupid like "Amazon didn't deliver it fast enough!" but there are some good reviews on there
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

So any help, tips, and what do you have and what do you like/dislike about it would be very much appreciated.
We were very lazy - went to Sears and ordered a whole bunch of own brand (Kenmore) stuff (including a french door fridge and front load washer) - most of it was their Elite line, and it's been great. Alternately, I'm sure you can shop around top end stores and get whatever the today's has-to-have brand is (Asko, Bosch etc)...Kenmore is like buying supermarket own label, so depends what you're comfortable with.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:23 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a new home at last Moving in 17 Aug. Have to buy a free standing range, a fridge/freezer, washer and dryer. And install air/con (saw that thread - thanks though any tips installing one from scratch would be great!)

Online there seems to be only consumer reports.org. I bought a 'which' recommended dishwasher in the UK which was a heap of junk so don't know about going with consumer reports.

Scary that you just started this thread as I'm in the middle of doing laundry and my whirlpool has just gone tits up! Well, I'm saying that, the burning smell and the fact that it has filled with water and just stopped has got me a little concerned!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:10 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New appliances which one is best?

Another good website for reviews is:

http://www.epinions.com/

Last week my gas tumble dryer packed up and it must have been at least 8 years old going by the date on the owners manual (the dryer was in the house when we moved in).

I'd already had it repaired a year or so ago and the repair company only guarantees repairs for three months. The people I called said the call out charge was $75, they couldn't come out for two days and then I guessed that they may have to send off for a spare part. My husband didn't have the special tools to look at the dryer but was convinced the motor had burnt out.

I discovered that in an ethnic (Portuguese/Brazilian) part of Newark, NJ there is a sort of special enterprise zone where GST (goods & sales tax) is half the normal price.... so it was just 3% instead of 6% (although NJ tax went up to 7% last Saturday).

On a local website a couple of appliance retailers were recommended, so I called a couple of them and asked if they stocked a GE dryer I'd seen on the PC Richards website, similar to the one I had which had packed up.

Both of the stores came up with prices much lower; one was $50 less and the other was $100 less.....but then the guy recommended another brand which he had in the store, an LG brand which was being replaced with the latest model range (only slightly different) and the normal price was circa $850 but his final price was $349 plus tax.

I read the opinions on the epinions website and the reviews were excellent and I went down to the store and ordered it (although I could have done so over the phone but I wanted to see what they had in the showroom).

I ordered it last Thursday afternoon and they delivered it free of charge at 9am last Saturday morning, charged $39 for installation and new vent, removed and replaced the door to my basement and took away the old machine free of charge - and the delivery guys were gorgeous LOL! I also paid $159 for 72 months warranty with free labour and parts.

It might be worthwhile checking the local appliance retailers in the ethnic areas in your area as you might get a better price (they can usually order something in for you if they don't have it in stock). Always ask what is the best price they can offer you and if they will deliver free of charge....let them know you're shopping around for the best price. I don't know if this would work with places like Best Buy but the smaller retailers can usually work with you to give you a good deal and often the service is much better than the major retailers.

Good luck!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:20 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

We have maytag washer n dryer (only appliances we own since we rent an apt), couldnt live without my own washer n dryer. Pretty good price and work wonderfully, havent had any issues, apart from my husband bitching about installation. Got them from best buy with the 5 year warranty, been happy so far.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:47 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks englishmum, good tip going to ethnic areas. Went on epinion and only found about 1 review per item and always feel they could be the manufacturer. But am looking there - thanks.
Blaze that burning smell would have me worried as well!

Dinosaur - kenmore seems to get a good rep with cookers so looking at them. Don't know what other high end stores there are? So far stores have been to - Maytag own store, sears, home depot, lowes. Don't know where else they have appliances to look at?
Lady - maytag washer at the top so far, had one before and loved it.
Fridges though don't know any problems with particular makes?
Thanks for all you help - looking at amazon as well Andy.
Just wish there were independent reviews I could trust not like which!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:09 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New appliances which one is best?

Just remembered....my mum brought across the UK edition of 'Good Housekeeping' which always does good reviews on appliances. I've just googled the US site and there are some reviews here:

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...284517,00.html

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just remembered....my mum brought across the UK edition of 'Good Housekeeping' which always does good reviews on appliances. I've just googled the US site and there are some reviews here:

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...284517,00.html

Hope this helps!
Had to turn of my norton security parental control as it thought it was a sex site lol! That was absolutely brill link as I had googled good housekeeping and it just brought up a subscription website so thanks for that, karma your way, as well as the others who were helpful!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:49 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=irnbru4u].

That's precisely why I don't run appliances when I'm not at home!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by blaze
That's precisely why I don't run appliances when I'm not at home!
I know I get funny with appliances on, won't put my oven on when I'm out as I have vision of it blowing up!
so the joy of repairmen then?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:08 am
Blondie22

I know I get funny with appliances on, won't put my oven on when I'm out as I have vision of it blowing up!
so the joy of repairmen then?

I think so. The bummer is that it is Friday so any call out at this point will be expensive. I think I will just wait until Monday, luckily the majority of the laundry was done before this happened.
I'm so paranoid I have a problem leaving the slow cooker on when I'm not home (although I do!) This is the ONLY appliance that I will leave on though.
Actually, I guess I'm not that paranoid because if this had happened whilst I was out today I could have come home to 'no home'!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

go to borders, have a flip through those noncy home mags, and then look through something like Wallpaper mag, it's a pretty good design type mag, lot of adverts for really nice high end stuff, so a good way to get names and specs to check out.

if your a bit flush for money, Samsung make a kick arse cooker that you can dump food in and it'll keep it cool till ready to be cooked and can be set on a timer and if your going to be late you can ring or email the machine with a code for a new time, or to keep food warm etc.

if you can find it, and I did see one somewhere, those retro SMEG fridges are awesome, cost more than an arm and a leg at the random little place that I saw it in, and wouldn't have a clue where...
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sears will match any price...I told them prices and they just said OK we'll match that. I have a Maytag Neptune front loader washer and dryer, which washes clothes much better than the top loaders but falls way short of UK washers. I have a Maytag side by side fridge/freezer which I am not happy with.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 3:47 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks englishmum, good tip going to ethnic areas. Went on epinion and only found about 1 review per item and always feel they could be the manufacturer. But am looking there - thanks.

Dinosaur - kenmore seems to get a good rep with cookers so looking at them. Don't know what other high end stores there are? So far stores have been to - Maytag own store, sears, home depot, lowes. Don't know where else they have appliances to look at?
Lady - maytag washer at the top so far, had one before and loved it.
Fridges though don't know any problems with particular makes?
Thanks for all you help - looking at amazon as well Andy.

Only brand ive heard to stay away from is whirlpool. several different in laws had em and had big issues. My sis in law seems happy with LG fridge freezer side by side though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.