Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Needing Advise, recently married currently on F1 Visa

Needing Advise, recently married currently on F1 Visa

Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

psychcyberpirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Needing Advise, recently married currently on F1 Visa

I met my husband while I was attending college in America, I have two quarters left at college and we were recently married about two months ago.

The advise I need is concerning my current status and what I will have to do to change it to a more permanent status.

I first started attending college in 05 where I was studying Interior design, I completed my studies two years later and subsequently started a new course of study in Media design. My visa sticker in my passport expired March of last year but my I-20 forms are updated.

I have been unable to apply for a new visa sticker because I was told by my international councilor that I have to apply for one in my country of origin. The only problem there is that to apply for a new one I could possibly be kicked out of college for my lack of attendance.

I'm worried about calling homeland security because I'm unsure of what they will tell me concerning my visa sticker. I spoke to social security but the lady seemed to be unsure of what I was asking although I was very clear with my questions, she made me worried saying that they will use my visa sticker for proof of status and not my I-20 which she told me was pretty much useless.

I suppose the reason I'm asking this question is that I would like a clear course of action to start with and to put my worries to rest.

Thank you so much.

~Sarah
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Needing Advise, recently married currently on F1 Visa

Originally Posted by psychcyberpirate
I met my husband while I was attending college in America, I have two quarters left at college and we were recently married about two months ago.

The advise I need is concerning my current status and what I will have to do to change it to a more permanent status.

I first started attending college in 05 where I was studying Interior design, I completed my studies two years later and subsequently started a new course of study in Media design. My visa sticker in my passport expired March of last year but my I-20 forms are updated.

I have been unable to apply for a new visa sticker because I was told by my international councilor that I have to apply for one in my country of origin. The only problem there is that to apply for a new one I could possibly be kicked out of college for my lack of attendance.

I'm worried about calling homeland security because I'm unsure of what they will tell me concerning my visa sticker. I spoke to social security but the lady seemed to be unsure of what I was asking although I was very clear with my questions, she made me worried saying that they will use my visa sticker for proof of status and not my I-20 which she told me was pretty much useless.

I suppose the reason I'm asking this question is that I would like a clear course of action to start with and to put my worries to rest.

Thank you so much.

~Sarah
Where do you want to live, long term?

If the US, please go to the wiki here and read about Adjustment of Status, then come back with your Qs.
Adjustment of Status results in Permanent Resident status, aka a green card.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah, Welcome to BE.

You'll need to submit an AOS package (Adjustment of Status). It includes the following forms:

I-130 petition for alien relative
I-485 application for adjustment of status
I-765 employment authorization document
I-131 advance parole travel document
G-325A biographical information
I-864 affidavit of support

Plus you'll need a full medical done by a USCIS approved doctor before turning in the AOS. You'll include the medical results in a sealed envelope along with your AOS package.

The fee for the I-130 is currently $355. The fee for all the rest is currently $1,010. The medical is paid separately to the doctor.

All the above forms can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms. Be sure to read ALL the front pages, instructions, and forms thoroughly. Treat each form as a separate entity and include whatever backup it asks for, even if it seems duplicated.

Once you submit AOS and get the receipt notice, your status becomes "pending AOS" and you are allowed to stay in the USA until your green card is approved. This can take anywhere from 3 to 12 months or so. It takes about 60 days from filing AOS to getting the travel document in hand...don't leave the USA without that. It takes about 90 days to get the EAD in hand so you'll be employment authorized.

Also check out our Wiki section on AOS, and come back with any questions.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the quick replies ^.^

I'll get right on reading everything and take a look at the forms, if I need further advise I'll be sure to write back.

Thank you again

~Sarah
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Since no one else has actually asked, but instead made the assumption... is your husband a US citizen? If he is then Rene's suggestions are great. If he isn't, then you've got a major problem.

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

yep my husband is a U.S. citizen.

~Sarah