Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another social security question...

Another social security question...

Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:08 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another social security question...

Does the fiance get to apply for his SS Card after he arrives on his K1 or do we have to wait for his AOS? he is hoping he gets the temp EAD at JFK....

ty!

less than 36 hrs to go!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:15 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another social security question...

Hi. You don't have to wait for AOS. My husband applied for his SSN two weeks after he arrived here on his K1. You need to wait at least 10 days to make sure he's in the system but do it before the 76th day I believe. I think you are in NYC as we are. There are a few different SS offices here depending on where you live. My husband got his card in the mail in 8 days. You can print the form online and have it filled out before you arrive. The EAD stamp is only good for 90 days as well.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:23 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hi. You don't have to wait for AOS. My husband applied for his SSN two weeks after he arrived here on his K1. You need to wait at least 10 days to make sure he's in the system but do it before the 76th day I believe. I think you are in NYC as we are. There are a few different SS offices here depending on where you live. My husband got his card in the mail in 8 days. You can print the form online and have it filled out before you arrive. The EAD stamp is only good for 90 days as well.
thank you im in upstate ny in the hudson valley area, theres an office right by here
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:27 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Good luck!!