Naturalization - a question

Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Amadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really nice
Default Naturalization - a question

Hello:

I am about to apply for citizenship based on 3 years of permanent resident status + being married to the same USC. I have an 11 y.o., who is my son from my prior marriage and he is a permanent resident of the US.

How does naturalization work when it comes to underage minors? Should I file a separate N400 for my son? Or can I somehow include my son on my N400? What about biometric and regular application fee?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization - a question

Originally Posted by Amadeus
I am about to apply for citizenship based on 3 years of permanent resident status + being married to the same USC. I have an 11 y.o., who is my son from my prior marriage and he is a permanent resident of the US.
If your son is also in your physical custody (you allude to this but did not actually say it), he will automatically become a US citizen at the same time you do. I do not believe he needs a separate application form since he will already be listed on your N-400. I'm not 100% sure about fees or biometrics though... I'm sure someone will be along shortly to address those issues.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amadeus
Hello:

How does naturalization work when it comes to underage minors? Should I file a separate N400 for my son? Or can I somehow include my son on my N400? What about biometric and regular application fee?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Hi:

YOU can't file an N-400 for him. Also, he is too young to file for naturalization. However, under section 320 of the Act he "acquires" citizenship upon the last of the following before reaching 18: your naturalization, his admission to PR, and living with you in your physical and legal custody.

Notionally speaking, you don't have to do ANYTHING to have him acquire citizenship. That said, EITHER a passport application OR an N-600 after your naturalization will provide evidence of his citizenship.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Amadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really nice

Gentlemen, thank you very much, you are too kind.