naturalization N-400

Old May 10th 2009, 7:43 am
mdv
Just Joined

mdv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default naturalization N-400

Hi All,
Great site, my first post.

I am a LPR for 15+ years and currently spent 10 months in UK, returning to USA in 3 weeks. I do wish to become a Citizen asap.

Reading the N-400 it states that you need to "wait 3 months until you have lived in the state/district to apply"...

so,
Q1) I have my USA house rented out, I pay mortgage, it is still my main home and residence, will I still need to wait the 3 months upon return to the USA?

Q2) Is it possible to file the N-400 whilst outside the USA?

Q3) Can I travel outside the USA whilst my application is open, as I realize it may take 6 months plus?

Many thanks in advance for any help here.

mdv
Old May 10th 2009, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: naturalization N-400

Originally Posted by mdv
Q1) I have my USA house rented out, I pay mortgage, it is still my main home and residence, will I still need to wait the 3 months upon return to the USA?
No.

Q2) Is it possible to file the N-400 whilst outside the USA?
No.

Q3) Can I travel outside the USA whilst my application is open, as I realize it may take 6 months plus?
Yes. Realize though, that in order to be eligible to naturalize, you must also meet the "physical presence" and "continuous residency" requirements. If you do, then travel won't be an issue. You must keep track of all time spent outside the US - right up until the day of your oath ceremony. http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf.

Ian
Old May 14th 2009, 7:37 pm
mdv
Just Joined

Does anyone have approximate fees charged by attorneys to file the N-400?

Thanks

mdv
Old May 15th 2009, 1:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdv
Does anyone have approximate fees charged by attorneys to file the N-400?
The filing fee is $675. An attorney will also add between $1000 - $5000 for their time... doing the work you could do yourself. The N-400 is a very straight forward form... no trick questions.

Ian
Old May 15th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Will you remain in the US when you return, or is it just a visit?

Just wondering as it may well effect your continuous residence and physical presence status.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:31 pm
mdv
Just Joined

I was planning on returning to the UK for 5 more months then heading back to the USA lock stock and barrel