Name misspelled on actual GC

Old Jul 17th 2002, 7:20 am
Rossen Nedeltch

Default Name misspelled on actual GC

My wife and I got the actual GCs, but her name turned out to be misspelled. I thought
it's over, but apparently it is not. )-:

Now what? How do we deal with this problem? How long are we going to wait?

RNN

Old Jul 17th 2002, 7:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Name misspelled on actual GC

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:03:45 -0700, Rossen Nedeltchev wrote:

> My wife and I got the actual GCs, but her name turned out to be misspelled. I
    > thought it's over, but apparently it is not. )-:
    >
    > Now what? How do we deal with this problem? How long are we going to wait?
    >
    > RNN

You could ignore the problem, but it is probably better to get it corrected. Fill out
a form I-90 (application for a replacement GC) and file it at the appropriate INS
office (I believe the local INS office is the right place). As long as this was an
INS mistake, there should not be a fee for it. If the officer demands a fee anyway,
it may be time to contact a Congressperson for assistance. The wait will probably be
about the same as for the first GC. While waiting, you should be able to either use
the original GC with the mistake, or get a stamp in her passport.

It's not a big deal either way, regardless of when the corrected GC arrives, she'd be
in status and shouldn't have a problem.

Ingo

Old Jul 17th 2002, 2:20 pm
Jesse

Default Re: Name misspelled on actual GC

While there should not be a fee if it was their fault, I would get new photos taken
beforehand and take them with you. I don't know about your local INS office, but ours
here has a photo business set up inside it. However, they charge about twice as much
as you can get them done elsewhere.

When my wife was awaiting her permanent green card, over one year had passed, and we
had to go to the local office to check on the status, and get a new stamp in her
passport. They told us her green card was printed, then returned as undeliverable for
some reason. So they destroyed it. She had to apply for a replacement. Since it was
their fault they waived the fee, but she had to get new pictures. We were stuck
paying the high prices there. Otherwise we would have had to leave the office, get
the pictures, and come back and take a number again. There has always been about a 2
- 3 hour wait when we do business with the local office.

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:24:04 GMT, Ingo Pakleppa <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:03:45 -0700, Rossen Nedeltchev wrote:
    >
    >> My wife and I got the actual GCs, but her name turned out to be misspelled. I
    >> thought it's over, but apparently it is not. )-:
    >>
    >> Now what? How do we deal with this problem? How long are we going to wait?
    >>
    >> RNN
    >
    >You could ignore the problem, but it is probably better to get it corrected. Fill
    >out a form I-90 (application for a replacement GC) and file it at the appropriate
    >INS office (I believe the local INS office is the right place). As long as this was
    >an INS mistake, there should not be a fee for it. If the officer demands a fee
    >anyway, it may be time to contact a Congressperson for assistance. The wait will
    >probably be about the same as for the first GC. While waiting, you should be able to
    >either use the original GC with the mistake, or get a stamp in her passport.
    >
    >It's not a big deal either way, regardless of when the corrected GC arrives, she'd
    >be in status and shouldn't have a problem.
    >
    >Ingo