N400 Selective Service Question?

Old May 6th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all
Default N400 Selective Service Question?

Hi,
I did a little reading around but I'm still unsure as to the answer to my question.
Background Info...
D.O.B 02/04/1972
Entered US on K1 Visa 07/01/1996
Married 09/21/1996
On my GC it says I became a permanent resident on 04/09/1997
Expires 01/11/2010

I never signed up for selective service because I never knew about it. None of the paperwork I received had any information about it and on my numerous INS interviews it was never brought up. I know ignorance is no kind of excuse but I don't want to lie about this kind of stuff to USCIS.

My question,
Since I am now well past the 5 year deal for moral character how do I fill out the question on the N400?
Do I check "yes" and then attach a letter or do I call selective service and explain the situation and go from there?

Thanks in advance,

Roy
Old May 6th 2009, 3:16 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

looks like you became a PR after the cutoff age fr registration to me - I had the same concerns as you so just answered truthfully that I wasn't in the age range for SS while a PR. IIRC you're not too far away frm me, so, in advance, have fun with the three trips to Tampa!
Old May 6th 2009, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all
Default Re: N400 Selective Service Question?

Originally Posted by Titchski
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

looks like you became a PR after the cutoff age fr registration to me - I had the same concerns as you so just answered truthfully that I wasn't in the age range for SS while a PR. IIRC you're not too far away frm me, so, in advance, have fun with the three trips to Tampa!
Thanks Titchski,
That's pretty much what I thought, just needed some confirmation.
Cheers

Roy
Old May 6th 2009, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by explorerman
D.O.B 02/04/1972
Entered US on K1 Visa 07/01/1996
Married 09/21/1996
By my reckoning, you were 24 when you married and became resident in the US, so you should have filed for SS.

Since I am now well past the 5 year deal for moral character how do I fill out the question on the N400?
Answer "yes" and attach an explanation. At this point in time (over age 31), having not registered for SS will make no difference to your application.

Ian
Old May 6th 2009, 5:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
By my reckoning, you were 24 when you married and became resident in the US, so you should have filed for SS.
He will probably have to do just a couple of years in Afganistan
..still~~ the weather is good, if you keep out of the mountain
Old May 6th 2009, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There has never been a conclusive answer but I have always heard that asa you have filed for AOS you had to register for Selective Services since you were no longer in any of the exemption categories. If you didn't register and are over the age of 29 and applying for naturalization on the accelerated 3 year basis due to the continuing marriage to a USC, you are fine. You are presently 37 so should not be a problem.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, even Ray

Roy