RV Holiday anyone?

Old May 4th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default RV Holiday anyone?

I've been checking out renting an RV for a holiday in the future, just wondering if anyone here has done this and what tips you have. There's four of us, two adults and two small kids.

I would be a little anxious about driving one of the really big ones, plus they're really quite expensive to rent. I don't think we'd cope with camping for more than a couple of nights.

Any alternive suggestions for a two week road trip type holiday? I was looking at either Santa Fe, or somewhere in Colorado......
Old May 4th 2009, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RV Holiday anyone?

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I've been checking out renting an RV for a holiday in the future, just wondering if anyone here has done this and what tips you have. There's four of us, two adults and two small kids.

I would be a little anxious about driving one of the really big ones, plus they're really quite expensive to rent. I don't think we'd cope with camping for more than a couple of nights.

Any alternive suggestions for a two week road trip type holiday? I was looking at either Santa Fe, or somewhere in Colorado......

I've done it in a Pop-up with a 9 and 10 year olds years ago. Was great fun. I like the pop-ups simply because it is quick and easy to setup and knockdown. You can get to your campsite, setup, hook the car and off you go for a bit of exploration in the area and come back to a setup campsite. There was always an unwritten code among campers to watch out for the other campsites and honesty was high. So we always felt safe leaving the pop-up unattended for the day and always came back to all our belongings where we left them.

Depending on where you want to camp, private vs state, the campsites can be as luxurious as you want or as minimal as only a toilet available which is a hole in the ground. Some campgrounds have play areas for the kids, swimming pools, main house for congregating with fellow campers, etc.
Old May 4th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Thamks Rete,

A couple of questions;

1) What's a popup?

2) You have to tow a car behind the RV? That makes me even more nervous.....
I know that makes sense otherwise we couldn't get out and about easily, but we've never towed anything.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

A pop up is a trailer/tent that "pop's up" giving you extra space!

http://www.colemantrailers.com/

Old May 4th 2009, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We have always wanted to try the RV rental thing, so keep us up to date on what you decide etc (please )

I have a friend in Florida that owns a camper, she loves it, their kids are teenagers now, but they will hitch it up at least 3 or 4 weekends a year and just go off somewhere to explore...They also use it for guests, we stayed in it for a couple of nights when we were visiting, very comfy for us, no complaints

I think I would prefer the bigger ones, but like you I worry about the ease/lack of ease in driving them, there must be a few places that you wouldn't be able to get too? And yes, you would definitely need to pull a car behind.

I have heard that you can hire them in the State you are touring, that way you don't have to drive them across State? Just local pick up/ drop off.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
A pop up is a trailer/tent that "pop's up" giving you extra space!

http://www.colemantrailers.com/

Thanks, Lisa. It is normally a light trailer that hooks up to your own car. If you have a truck or an SUV, perfect for towing. In fact my Sonata can tow a pop-up which has a queensize and a full size bed that folds out. We had a Starcraft. I know that pop-ups can be rented as well. All you need is a hitch.

Loved having a propane gas stove to cook on and the newer ones allow you to "push" it outside through an opening so you don't have to "heat" up the insider of the trailer. There are electric outlets inside so that if you are using a campsite with electricity available you can bring a tellie with a dvd player for the kids to watch and/or plug in your computer and have a whirl.

Last edited by Rete; May 4th 2009 at 2:30 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 4:44 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

We have an RV (I think it's about 20 foot long, and is a Minnie Winnebago). It is actually pretty small compared to a lot of the beasts out there. I'm too much of a wimp to drive it, but my husband doesn't have a problem. We have a ton of fun, go camping a lot in the spring/summer. How old are your kids? The kind of RV we have only has lapbelt seatbelts, and we use those to install my 5 year-old's carseat. I'm not sure what we'll do when she outgrows that seat, I don't think lapbelts are very safe. Of course a lot of people don't bother with seatbelts in an RV, but I'm a bit of a safety nut. Anyhow, I really enjoy our trips. The only annoying thing is we always have to book the camping sites well in advance, all the state parks around here (Washington state) sell out months in advance. Makes it less spontaneous.
Naomi.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

2) You have to tow a car behind the RV? That makes me even more nervous.....
It's so worth it if you want to explore areas because getting about town in a RV would be a nightmare and waste of petrol.

Got some friends who's folks have one out in CT and they use it to go touring along to various racing events and have fun along the east coast.

It's also quite popular around Maine, especially parking up in walmarts...but in hilly areas, bit of a pain...especially for people stuck behind ya
Old May 4th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

No, thanks!

I've never camped and even if I could be convinced that a RV holiday would be an upscale experience compared with camping I don't think it's for me.

I am happy staying in many different types of hotel/motel/lodge but camping RV-ing would not be a vacation for me and I'm someone that enjoys cooking on vacation (in an apartment), doesn't need ***** accommodation or a concierge.

I also think it's expensive for what it is.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

My suggest would be to fly/drive. Rent a car when you get there and stay in hotels. Over 2 weeks I'd pick maybe 4 places and stay 3 or 4 nights in each to explore the area. Fly open jaw into Denver and out of Albuquerque.

Fodors.com has a very helpful travel advice forum.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we are going to be looking into doing this next summer - so i will watch this thread with interest!
Old May 5th 2009, 2:14 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I got pregnant with my son in a pop up.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Old May 5th 2009, 3:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
And by a pop up ...very poetic...
Old May 5th 2009, 6:53 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

some of the links in this post might be useful

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...19#post6790919

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.