Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Past employment dates (I want to scream)

N400 Past employment dates (I want to scream)

Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of
Default Re: N400 Past employment dates (I want to scream)

Bottom line is there only interested in what you been doing ever since you became a P/R ....i don't really think they want to know if you worked stacking shelves 10hrs a wk for 2 wk xmas in blah blah country...there interested what you be upto in the us .if the truth was known..
But fill in what you can, that's all you can do TBH and don't stress
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

As long as you nail down all the companies I'm sure you won't be held to the fire on exact dates, esp. if all your tax returns are filed and correct.

Luckily my employment was easy... self employed for the last five years Travel history, however, was another kettle of rotten fish, as you know.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 3:57 am
Just Joined

EmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really nice

All employers must report their employees to the registry. If you go to the Department of Employment Security for the state in which you worked, they will be able to print out all your work quarters, earnings, and employers that paid out your wages. It won't be specific to the exact day, but it will definitely nail down the months/years.

MTA: Otherwise known as the good old "unemployment office".

Last edited by EmmJayye; Jan 9th 2010 at 3:59 am.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmJayye
All employers must report their employees to the registry. If you go to the Department of Employment Security for the state in which you worked, they will be able to print out all your work quarters, earnings, and employers that paid out your wages. It won't be specific to the exact day, but it will definitely nail down the months/years.

MTA: Otherwise known as the good old "unemployment office".
That's a handy tip; I didn't know employees could get a copy of their own records from the state.
Often called Employment Division or Department under your state gov website, or get there by googling 'unemployment <state name>'.
Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 4:54 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's a handy tip; I didn't know employees could get a copy of their own records from the state.
Often called Employment Division or Department under your state gov website, or get there by googling 'unemployment <state name>'.
Thanks!
Not when I called them, they said they did not keep that kind of information, all they keep is the earnings.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 5:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Not when I called them, they said they did not keep that kind of information, all they keep is the earnings.
Oh drat, so much for that.

Love the little devil.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 5:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I still stand by what I posted before. You are talking about part time employment, transitory employment, etc. They don't ask you to verify your past employment but at long as you can show them that you earned money and paid taxes on it, i.e. your tax returns and any W-2's you might still have, the exact dates and places you worked won't be an issue. You answer honestly and fully as you can and if asked at the interview you tell them just that.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

EmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really nice

Well, they're thinking you're looking for dates which is why they probably told you that. The dates you can figure out yourself pretty easily. For example, the report would say for Quarter 1 of 2006, you were working for Company X. You will know that means you worked from January through March at that particular company. I access this system for work so I know it's definitely possible. In my field, LPRs must present work quarters in order to qualify for certain programs & benefits so they often must obtain this information.