Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Past employment dates (I want to scream)

N400 Past employment dates (I want to scream)

Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:06 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 Past employment dates (I want to scream)

Yes I know I know its my fault but that does not alter the fact that I cannot get hold of information for my past employment history.

I have called some of the companys and they are telling me that they do not retain past employees info after a period of time

Some of the companys have closed down.

I called the http://www.ssa.gov/ and they said that they do not keep data of the dates where people work only the amounts that were paid in and out whilst working for that particular employer......so how the heck does USCIS get the info to match up what we submit.

I don't even know the months I started for some of these folk yet alone the damn day of the year!!

Any suggestions please
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Past employment dates (I want to scream)

It's only for the past 5 years... have you worked for that many companies in that time? Use your best estimates. Do you have copies of your tax returns? There should be some clues there.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:26 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
It's only for the past 5 years... have you worked for that many companies in that time? Use your best estimates. Do you have copies of your tax returns? There should be some clues there.
16 companies, I used to have 2 jobs at the same time ie a day and a night job and part time.

Tax returns I have all of them but not giving much help to me.

My present employer I have worked for, for over 2 years, the rest only lasted like a week or so, it was when I 1st came here and wanted to work so took employment pt in stores resturants etc... and as soon as something better came along I left.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
16 companies, I used to have 2 jobs at the same time ie a day and a night job and part time.

My present employer I have worked for, for over 2 years, the rest only lasted like a week or so, it was when I 1st came here and wanted to work so took employment pt in stores resturants etc... and as soon as something better came along I left.
Poppy,

I would just give it your best estimate. As long as you write to the best of your memory, you're not purposely misrepresting anything...it's just hard to remember all the details of a job you only held for a few weeks 5 years ago.

If all you remember is the year, put that. Maybe if you remember the season, just put like "summer 2005". I'm sure you'll be fine. If the officer has any questions about it, you can answer in person at the interview.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Poppy,

I would just give it your best estimate. As long as you write to the best of your memory, you're not purposely misrepresting anything...it's just hard to remember all the details of a job you only held for a few weeks 5 years ago.

If all you remember is the year, put that. Maybe if you remember the season, just put like "summer 2005". I'm sure you'll be fine. If the officer has any questions about it, you can answer in person at the interview.

Rene
Thanks Rene I am worried about this I will admit and I want to give as much info as possible.

Just got of the phone in NY and got another entry lol.....slowly slowly
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Do the best estimating you can.

Or stay at the current employer for 3 more years and apply then
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Do the best estimating you can.

Or stay at the current employer for 3 more years and apply then
That thought did cross my mind lol.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Calm yourself, PG. Have a drink and sit back. You don't need to be exact and you don't need to know the days. Take a look at your I-751 and that should give you a bit of a clue. You only need: Smith and Jones, 12/98 - 11/99; Harry and Jane 12/99 - 6/2001. Simple. They are not going to be calling for references on you.

What about old tax returns? W-2's will tell you a lot.

Yes I know I know its my fault but that does not alter the fact that I cannot get hold of information for my past employment history.

I have called some of the companys and they are telling me that they do not retain past employees info after a period of time

Some of the companys have closed down.

I called the http://www.ssa.gov/ and they said that they do not keep data of the dates where people work only the amounts that were paid in and out whilst working for that particular employer......so how the heck does USCIS get the info to match up what we submit.

I don't even know the months I started for some of these folk yet alone the damn day of the year!!

Any suggestions please
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:32 am

On the N400 online form it does request day date and month and will not allow or except any other format...its alright on the excel spread sheet I have compiled lol I can just do month and year.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

On the N400 online form it does request day date and month and will not allow or except any other format...its alright on the excel spread sheet I have compiled lol I can just do month and year.
That's why you leave that whole section of the N-400 blank and handwrite "See Attachment".

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That's why you leave that whole section of the N-400 blank and handwrite "See Attachment".

Rene
Never thought of that but in my defense I did go blonde to avoid confusion
Yes Indeed I will just do the spread sheet with all employment on, and a cover letter...

Thanks chaps.

I have my answer, please feel free to close this thread.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Dec 9th 2009 at 2:02 am.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You know that you don't have to write each and every p/t or semi-permanent job down. Print out the form and hand write it in rather than doing it online. Lots easier and you can put what you want.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Rete
You know that you don't have to write each and every p/t or semi-permanent job down. Print out the form and hand write it in rather than doing it online. Lots easier and you can put what you want.
WHAT NO I did not know that, I have put every job down like a 2 night waitress stint, a 1 week marketing job.

If thats the case I not going to put the evening waitress work I used to do P/T to supplement my income 3/4 years ago.

Thanks Rete.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Dec 9th 2009 at 2:33 am.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:00 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
You know that you don't have to write each and every p/t or semi-permanent job down.
Rete, Do you have any USCIS issued documentation or case results one could use to affirm this to the questioning officer when he asks the applicant why he did not include all jobs as indicated on the application ?

I would humbly suggest that everyone answer all questions exactly as they are asked in all forms dealing with BCIS.
(list ALL jobs held in last 5 years...was it a job ? yes --> then list it)
(List all arrests and citations...It was only for peeing in my friends front yard tree when the bathroom was occupied while the cop was there for a noise disturbance, and he gave me a ticket for $150 disturbing the peace--> Was it a citation ?, Yes --> then list it)

Complete, Correct, without providing anything that was not asked, has been what I have always heard is good policy.

The instructions on the N-400 for your last 5 years of work state:

List where you have worked (or, if you were astudent, the schools you have attended) during the last five years. Include military service. If you worked for yourself, write ''self employed.'' Beginwith your most recent job. Also, write the dates when you worked or studied in each place.

if it was me, and I could not remember, or , , I would list.."Other Temporay Jobs, Summer of 05-Dec 05". I would not skip any of the ones I know about, if the question itself or the instructions did not indicate that I should skip them,based on what the instructions say
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:11 pm

I have not sent it yet and I will do as Rete mentioned, but add a cover note with the other jobs and dates to my knowledge included.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.