N400 Help

Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Tilly AZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N400 Help

Hello,

I am new to this forum and in need of advice!

About two weeks ago I had my citizenship interview, all went well and I received the form saying congratulations your application has been accepted and we will be notifying you about the oath ceremony at a later date. Yesterday I received a letter from USCIS saying that my application couldn't be approved for a couple of reasons.

1) My submitted fingerprints are "unclassifiable"....basically worn out and I have to get police certificates from each state that I have lived in ( 4 states).

2) The USCIS office can't find the copy of the questions that they asked me on the civics test and I will have to retake the test.

I am a little annoyed as I had my fingerprints taken in March and would have had plenty of time to get all the police reports before the interview. However, my main concern is that I have to complete all this by July 11th or my application will be denied. Given that I have to get four different police reports from different states this is going to be next to impossible. I spoke to the CO at my local field office today and they said there was no chance of an extension?

I really don't want my application to be denied and to have to start all over again? Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Help

Wow, I have never heard of this (not that that means anything..). I wouldn't even know where to go to get a police certificate/report suitable for immigration.

How is it that the fingerprints were never a problem before I wonder?

I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer you but a sympathetic smile.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply meauxna.

I did have problems when I was originally fingerprinted in March...prints were taken a couple of times due to poor quality. In the end a supervisor came out and said that they would send a letter with the prints saying this is the best they could get. So, not a complete surprise there, it's just the timing of having to get all this done in the next three week with no possibility of an extension that's making me really anxious.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:01 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://mccain.senate.gov/public/inde...vices.Casework

As Kyl is going, I doubt he'll be much use.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tilly AZ
1) My submitted fingerprints are "unclassifiable"....basically worn out and I have to get police certificates from each state that I have lived in ( 4 states).
I'm with Meauxna on this... in 14 years of following immigration goings on, I have never heard of this situation. Immigration is federal... why would they even need a police certificate from each state? AFAIK, this has not happened to anyone else (but, as Meauxna says, that doesn't say much)... but why you?

2) The USCIS office can't find the copy of the questions that they asked me on the civics test and I will have to retake the test.
This, at least, is a simple fix... so no worries there!

I suggest you make an InfoPass appointment and go speak to someone face to face about this. Ask to speak to a supervisor while you're there, and try to sort out the fingerprint issue... perhaps it's as simple as having your fingerprints redone. I'd point out to them, that if your prints are "unclassifiable" (whatever that means) it's certainly not something you have any control over - which is to say, you can't change your fingerprints!

I really don't want my application to be denied and to have to start all over again?
Well, I guess that's the worst case scenario. Good luck!

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies . I will contact McCain's office and see if they can help at all.

ian-mstm.......I don't know why me! And to be honest I am now more worried than ever. I already spoke with a supervisor yesterday when I dropped off my local sheriff's police report and she confirmed this is what I had to do. When I mentioned that if my fingerprints are that bad what difference is it going to make by having them taken another time?(At this point I have had them taken four times). She said to include a letter with each form explaining the situation to ask each authority to do a "name search" on the background check instead? I replied that surely the FBI had already done a name check on me as part of the naturalization application so what would it prove?

Interestingly, when I called the Dept of Public Safety in TX to request my police report the lady who told me what I needed to send them said that this is the third time she has heard of this situation in the past couple of weeks? So who knows what is going on?

Thanks again for all your replies ....will keep you updated...maybe it might help someone else down the line!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm with Meauxna on this... in 14 years of following immigration goings on, I have never heard of this situation. Immigration is federal... why would they even need a police certificate from each state? AFAIK, this has not happened to anyone else (but, as Meauxna says, that doesn't say much)... but why you?
My interpretation of the facts is that they took fingerprints, which for whatever reason were not very clear but sent them anyway. When whoever deals with the fingerprints ran them through the computer to do a criminal background check, the computer could not extract enough detail from the print to get a match. i.e. they were "unclassifiable". The solution being to ask the OP to just send a police report from every place where she lived thus bypassing looking for her prints in each of the police databases where she lived.