Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 and getting married during processing

N400 and getting married during processing

Old Aug 13th 2018, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

delilahuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N400 and getting married during processing

Hello! I'm an old member with a new account...it's good to see familiar names around here.

I have done a few searches but cant seem to find the info I need so if there are any threads relavent please point me in the direction of those.

Short story - I'm a 10 year GC holder and I applied for naturalization in April 2018. Wait time is a year from now. How will it effect my application if I get married to a UKC now? If we get married can I start the process of CR1 before?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by delilahuk; Aug 13th 2018 at 3:55 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 and getting married during processing

You can petition your spouse now if you want. It will be in the F2A category, which has a 2-year wait for visa numbers. When you become a citizen, you can inform them that your petition should be upgraded to the Immediate Relative category, which has no wait.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 7:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Welcome back to BE. Please contact site admin to either have your old name reinstated or merge the two accounts. We have a rule the you can only have one user name.

thank you,
Rene
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and Welcome back to BE. Please contact site admin to either have your old name reinstated or merge the two accounts. We have a rule the you can only have one user name.

thank you,
Rene
thank you. I no longer have access to that email or recall what my user name was...I haven't been on here in 10 years and it was shared with my ex husband.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

thank you,
Rene
Originally Posted by newacct
You can petition your spouse now if you want. It will be in the F2A category, which has a 2-year wait for visa numbers. When you become a citizen, you can inform them that your petition should be upgraded to the Immediate Relative category, which has no wait.
We still have to plan our wedding, so won't petition immediately.

So do you need to wait for a visa number to come through before the petition can be upgraded?

Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delilahuk

thank you. I no longer have access to that email or recall what my user name was...I haven't been on here in 10 years and it was shared with my ex husband.
I understand. That's why you need to contact site admin. They can probably work it out for you.

Rene
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:47 pm

We still have to plan our wedding, so won't petition immediately.

So do you need to wait for a visa number to come through before the petition can be upgraded?

No, the petition can be upgraded as soon as you notify USCIS that you are a USC.

Rene
Old Aug 14th 2018, 1:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I understand. That's why you need to contact site admin. They can probably work it out for you.

Rene
I certainly can.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

No, the petition can be upgraded as soon as you notify USCIS that you are a USC.

Rene
How easy is that to do? And do you know a timeline for this? Then what visa would my spouse arrive here with?
Old Aug 14th 2018, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
I certainly can.
i messaged you. 😊
Old Aug 14th 2018, 3:17 pm

How easy is that to do? And do you know a timeline for this? Then what visa would my spouse arrive here with?
Just a matter of notifying USCIS or NVC, depending on where your case is when you become a USC. You'll provide proof of that as well. Case should be upgraded immediately.

She will receive the same visa. Immigrant Visa, class CR-1 if marriage is less than 2 years old. IR-1 if more than 2 years old.

Rene