Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:55 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
noobexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

I'm new on the board, I tried to google this answer, and search via your board, but I was not able to find the answer in a reasonable amount of time. So sorry in advance if the answer is out there.

My relative lives in Australia. He is a British citizen. He is trying to get out to the states for a family event. However is hesitant as he was arrested for being in possession of .5 a gram of Cocaine a year ago. Besides that lack of misjudgment on his behalf ,he has never before been arrested, and holds a good job.

I understand he would need need to declare this to the US before attempting to travel. However, if he does are the odds still slim to get in? Does Immigration or whomever is reviewing his application consider .5 gram the same as being arrested with 10 grams-- so I guess my question is two fold...will they take under consideration that it was a relatively small amount of cocaine or is it all the same to them for possession..and has anyone had a similar situation with being caught for possession for cocaine and was successful being approved entry into the US.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
noobexpat is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2018, 12:00 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 43
newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Originally Posted by noobexpat View Post
I'm new on the board, I tried to google this answer, and search via your board, but I was not able to find the answer in a reasonable amount of time. So sorry in advance if the answer is out there.

My relative lives in Australia. He is a British citizen. He is trying to get out to the states for a family event. However is hesitant as he was arrested for being in possession of .5 a gram of Cocaine a year ago. Besides that lack of misjudgment on his behalf ,he has never before been arrested, and holds a good job.

I understand he would need need to declare this to the US before attempting to travel. However, if he does are the odds still slim to get in? Does Immigration or whomever is reviewing his application consider .5 gram the same as being arrested with 10 grams-- so I guess my question is two fold...will they take under consideration that it was a relatively small amount of cocaine or is it all the same to them for possession..and has anyone had a similar situation with being caught for possession for cocaine and was successful being approved entry into the US.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
He would have a ban for drug violation, so he would need to apply for a visa, and apply for a waiver as part of it.
newacct is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2018, 12:20 am
  #3  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,316
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Your relatives needs to complete an ESTA. He will be asked about criminal history. His ESTA will not be approved. Once he has the denial, he can then apply for a B tourist visa. Almost sure he will be turned down for the visa and if he is extremely lucky, he will be told that he can apply for a waiver of inadmissibility.

There is a number of threads on this waiver current on the US Immigration Visa forum. https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-i...cation-713051/
Rete is online now  
Old Aug 10th 2018, 12:58 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 396
shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
if he is extremely lucky, he will be told that he can apply for a waiver of inadmissibility.
Just to expand on this - the reason why he'd be lucky is because it is so recent. In addition, he would not apply for the waiver, the person who is interviewing him at a Consulate would recommend him for the waiver, and then the DHS handles all of that. All he has to do is turn up with the documents that he needs (VCU-01, DS160 and ACRO/Police report).

But yeah, given how recent it was, pretty unlikely.

There is no distinction between .5g of Cocaine or 10g int his case.

Did he receive a conviction or a caution? Or was he just arrested? If it was just an arrest and no charge, he might be ok.
shiversaint is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2018, 4:59 am
  #5  
crg
American Expat
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,598
crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

I don't see a reason to seek an ESTA just to have it denied and then applying for a visa. He can just apply for the visa straight away.
crg is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 2:45 am
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Location: Cascade Mountains, WA
Posts: 1,089
Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Originally Posted by crg View Post
I don't see a reason to seek an ESTA just to have it denied and then applying for a visa. He can just apply for the visa straight away.

Agree. Even the London embassy website advises to just apply for a visa and skip ESTA all together.
Twinkle0927 is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:17 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 4,691
materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 View Post



Agree. Even the London embassy website advises to just apply for a visa and skip ESTA all together.
While I also agree with crg in this case, that information on the London embassy website is misleading and incomplete - as it simply advises all applicants with any kind of arrest or conviction to apply for a visa; when many of them would possibly still qualify for ESTA.
materialcontroller is online now  
Old Aug 11th 2018, 4:40 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 72
NewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
While I also agree with crg in this case, that information on the London embassy website is misleading and incomplete - as it simply advises all applicants with any kind of arrest or conviction to apply for a visa; when many of them would possibly still qualify for ESTA.
Agree before I lived here on an L1A, I comfortably traveled on ESTA as a tourist as no way my small conviction years previously fit into the moral turpitude definition, which is itself confusing. The ESTA does not ask "have you been arrested" In this case though go the visa route as a class A drug conviction certainly does.
NewStarter is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2018, 7:48 pm
  #9  
crg
American Expat
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,598
crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of Entering the US after Small Class A Drug Possession Charge

The consulate likely wants to avoid all of the "am I inadmissible or can I use ESTA" emails. it's too complicated to figure out without a close look at the relevant documents and an interview. So the consulate is pretty much saying that if the person is concerned enough to have these questions they can apply for the visa, pay the fee, come to the interview and we'll make a determination. They won't do it for free. It seems like a sound plan from their perspective. VWP was designed for squeaky clean people to get to Disney without a visa. Everyone else.... caveat emptor.
crg is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.