Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 filing - confused over the 3 years vs. 5 years mention on forms

N400 filing - confused over the 3 years vs. 5 years mention on forms

Old May 8th 2009, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

penelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to allpenelope2 is a name known to all
Default N400 filing - confused over the 3 years vs. 5 years mention on forms

Hi!

I am filing for citizenship based on 3 years of marriage to my lovely US citizen husband

I have searched the forum but couldn't find a clear answer to this. The form asks "where have you lived during the last 5 years" and "list all the places you've traveled to during the last 5 years". Since I've been a resident for less than 5 years and lived abroad before that, what do I do? Pretend that the questions says "where have you lived during the last 3 years" instead? Send a letter of clarification? What do I do?
Old May 8th 2009, 7:04 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 filing - confused over the 3 years vs. 5 years mention on forms

Originally Posted by penelope2
Since I've been a resident for less than 5 years and lived abroad before that, what do I do?
"Pretend that the questions says "where have you lived during the last 3 years" instead?"

Bingo.

~ Jenney
Old May 8th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 filing - confused over the 3 years vs. 5 years mention on forms

Hi!

I am filing for citizenship based on 3 years of marriage to my lovely US citizen husband

I have searched the forum but couldn't find a clear answer to this. The form asks "where have you lived during the last 5 years" and "list all the places you've traveled to during the last 5 years". Since I've been a resident for less than 5 years and lived abroad before that, what do I do? Pretend that the questions says "where have you lived during the last 3 years" instead? Send a letter of clarification? What do I do?
On advice from others in this forum, when faced with that question I crossed out "5" and wrote in "3". No mention was made of the change during my interview, and I'm now a US citizen.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:21 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

p,

My wife naturalized based on 3 years of marriage to her lovely US citizen husband.

She answered the questions as asked, going back 5 years, which as in your case was before she immigrated. It doesn't change anything with regard to her qualification for immigration after 3 years as a PR..

Regards, JEff

Hi!

Old May 8th 2009, 7:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We crossed out 5 and wrote 3 for those questions, it was not a problem. My husband became a USC 2 weeks ago!

Rene
Old May 8th 2009, 11:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
We crossed out 5 and wrote 3 for those questions, it was not a problem. My husband became a USC 2 weeks ago!

Rene
Me too.
I mean, 3 years ago, not 2 weeks ago. Same difference.