transfer to H4?

Old May 8th 2009, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

boucuop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transfer to H4?

I just knew that I was out-of-status from May 1 in F1.
Can I transfer to H4 inside the United States at this point?

Thank you for your expertise.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transfer to H4?

Originally Posted by boucuop
I just knew that I was out-of-status from May 1 in F1.

Thank you for your expertise.
Are you married to an H1B holder?
Old May 8th 2009, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - all you should need is proof of your husband's H-1B status and a copy of your marriage certificate. Realize, that if you change status inside the US, you will be landlocked. Your H-4 will not be valid for travel unless you leave the US and get the visa stamped on re-entry.

Ian
Old May 8th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - all you should need is proof of your husband's H-1B status and a copy of your marriage certificate. Realize, that if you change status inside the US, you will be landlocked. Your H-4 will not be valid for travel unless you leave the US and get the visa stamped on re-entry.

Ian
Thank you again, Ian.
But the International Student Office told me that I cannot change my status inside the US as I am out of status.
Besides, my husband's H-1B will take effect on Oct.1.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But the International Student Office told me that I cannot change my status inside the US as I am out of status.
In an earlier post, you mentioned you were trying to get reinstated.

Besides, my husband's H-1B will take effect on Oct.1.
At which point in time, your prior status won't matter.

For future reference, please keep all your posts in a single thread... it's hard enough keeping track of what people are doing without having to hunt around for information on what happened before.

Ian
Old May 9th 2009, 1:02 am
Just Joined

In an earlier post, you mentioned you were trying to get reinstated.
It seems I cannot reinstate due to lack of financial guarantee, as you mentioned.

At which point in time, your prior status won't matter.
So I can apply for H4 now, even on the condition that my husband's H-1B does not take effect until Oct. 1?

For future reference, please keep all your posts in a single thread... it's hard enough keeping track of what people are doing without having to hunt around for information on what happened before.
I sorry for the inconvenience. I will do that in the future.
Old May 9th 2009, 1:08 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

What status does the spouse have right now?
Old May 9th 2009, 1:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So I can apply for H4 now, even on the condition that my husband's H-1B does not take effect until Oct. 1?
No! Your husband is not an H-1B until Oct 1 2009.

Today, he's whatever he is today. Including outside the US?
Why don't you just leave for a little bit and come back in the fall?
Old May 9th 2009, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by crg14624
What status does the spouse have right now?
She's an out of status F1, and her husband is currently on OPT.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 9th 2009 at 2:01 am.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
No! Your husband is not an H-1B until Oct 1 2009.

Today, he's whatever he is today. Including outside the US?
Why don't you just leave for a little bit and come back in the fall?
Thank you for the clarification.
My husband wants me to have the status changed inside the US to avoid troubles as we have a 2-year-old son.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:40 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the clarification.
My husband wants me to have the status changed inside the US to avoid troubles as we have a 2-year-old son.
Well, you can't change status when you have no status to change from. You either get reinstated or you depart and apply for an F-2 or H-4 visa prior to returning. I wouldn't dawdle. You're subject to arrest until one of those things happen.