n400- confused

Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default n400- confused

Hi all!

It's been a while since I last had to deal with immigration!! I finally decided to apply for the n400, and I am sort of confused about the process after reading some other threads.

- Documents: do I really just join Copy of marriage, husband's passport (US Citizen), copy of green card, last 3 years tax return, and that's it?? Should I include home deed, bank statements, 401k stating beneficiary, health plan...?

- How long is the process?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: n400- confused

Originally Posted by sunnyla
I am sort of confused about the process after reading some other threads.
Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Natura...ship_Resources.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Read the guide as well.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

It seems daunting to start with but once you get to grips with things it will be fairly straightforward I'm sure.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

It's been a while since I last had to deal with immigration!! I finally decided to apply for the n400, and I am sort of confused about the process after reading some other threads.

- Documents: do I really just join Copy of marriage, husband's passport (US Citizen), copy of green card, last 3 years tax return, and that's it?? Should I include home deed, bank statements, 401k stating beneficiary, health plan...?

- How long is the process?

Thanks!!
Depends on whether you are filing on the 3 year basis due to marriage to a USC or 5 years.

The N-400 tells you what to include.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

hi all,

thanks for the links for further info. I am not confused about how to fill up but just the documents I need to join. When I wanted to remove my conditional status of permanent resident, I remember sending lots of proofs. I just wanted to know how much evidence of relationship I should send? Would 3 years of tax returns and joint accounts statements be enough?

Thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

thanks for the links for further info. I am not confused about how to fill up but just the documents I need to join. When I wanted to remove my conditional status of permanent resident, I remember sending lots of proofs. I just wanted to know how much evidence of relationship I should send? Would 3 years of tax returns and joint accounts statements be enough?

Thanks!
My husband just got his US Citizenship based on 3 years of marriage to a USC. In his application, as proof that he has an ongoing valid marriage to me, he included:

IRS tax transcripts (3 years)
Deed from joint ownership of condo
Recent mortgage statements showing joint account
Recent bank statements showing joint accounts
Printout from my employer showing him as a dependent on my health and dental insurance, a beneficiary of my life insurance, stock ownership, and 401K.

He also included all the other required items such as prior marriage dissolutions, current marriage certifiate, passport photos, my birth certificate, etc.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: n400- confused

hey thanks, I guess I will just add as much as you did then. Can't really hurt... Thanks for confirming.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:51 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sla,

That's all my wife sent (plus a few divorce decrees since we'd both been married previously).

Regards, JEff

Hi all!

- Documents: do I really just join Copy of marriage, husband's passport (US Citizen), copy of green card, last 3 years tax return, and that's it??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:12 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

geez, now I am confused too. I was only going to include the fees and copy of my permanent resident card. I didn't see anything about evidence of ongoing relationship. Does it ask for that? Or is that something you take for Biometrics or the interview?

thanks
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by souls canuck
geez, now I am confused too. I was only going to include the fees and copy of my permanent resident card. I didn't see anything about evidence of ongoing relationship. Does it ask for that? Or is that something you take for Biometrics or the interview?

thanks
I don't think the instructions asked for it, but I gleaned from reading on here that others sent proof of current marital bliss, so I figured it couldn't hurt. We also took that information to the interview, but the officer didn't ask to see any of it.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:27 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

gotcha. Well easy to enough to print that off, I have it right here. Better to have too much then not enough.

can I tell you how much I am already freaking out about the test? Hah. I have them all printed out here at work and getting one question quiz a day until I go!

Thanking you as always
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

R,

I didn't know that you were a 'kitchen sink'er!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think the instructions asked for it, but I gleaned from reading on here that others sent proof of current marital bliss, so I figured it couldn't hurt. We also took that information to the interview, but the officer didn't ask to see any of it.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
R,

I didn't know that you were a 'kitchen sink'er!

Regards, JEff
Oh, yes, indeed! As a long-time member of high standing in the "AR Club", being a kitchen sink'er is a requirement! LOL
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by souls canuck

thanks
Review the Document Checklist in the Guide to Naturalization.

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:
1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:
• Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or
• Naturalization certificate, or
• Certificate of Citizenship, or
• The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, or
• Form FS-240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America,” and
2. Your current marriage certificate; and
3. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse-divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and
4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
• Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
• An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
• Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
• An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.
Aha, so I DID read it somewhere! lol

Rene