Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400: Please help! Could some tell me if I am missing anything?

N-400: Please help! Could some tell me if I am missing anything?

Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation N-400: Please help! Could some tell me if I am missing anything?

Hi,

Please help! Could some tell me if I am missing anything?

I am planning on sending my N-400 application by first week of September 07. I am a Kentucky Resident, so I am sending it to Texas Service Center:

1. N-400 Application filled out and signed
2. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card
2. Two identical color passport style photographs, with your name and "A-number" written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo
3. Money order of $675.00 payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
4. Birth certificate (both of ours)
5. The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport (both of ours)
6. Marriage license
7. An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years
8. Mortgages - With both our names on it
9. A copy of the speeding ticket I got 5 yrs ago
10. Proof of Selective Service registration

Thanks!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400: Please help! Could some tell me if I am missing anything?

Originally Posted by abir007
Could some tell me if I am missing anything?
Looks good to me! Good luck.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

When you say:

5. The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport (both of ours)

do you mean your foreign passport? This one isn't quite clear to me.

Also did you mean marriage certificate instead of marriage license?

Do you have any other bills/bank accounts/credit cards/car ownership or insurance/etc. in both your names? If so I'd add a few of those, because right now all you have is the mortgage and tax documents in both your names. Not saying it's required, just to add a little more evidence if it would make you comfortable.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
When you say:

do you mean your foreign passport? This one isn't quite clear to me.

Also did you mean marriage certificate instead of marriage license?

Do you have any other bills/bank accounts/credit cards/car ownership or insurance/etc. in both your names? If so I'd add a few of those, because right now all you have is the mortgage and tax documents in both your names. Not saying it's required, just to add a little more evidence if it would make you comfortable.
Additional viable proof of marriage documentation is not required for the N-400. He/she will be asked to bring all this to the interview itself.

As for the US Passport, it is only needed as proof they are a USC. I believe a driver's license will do as well and their US birth certification.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Additional viable proof of marriage documentation is not required for the N-400. He/she will be asked to bring all this to the interview itself.
Okay, sorry

As for the US Passport, it is only needed as proof they are a USC. I believe a driver's license will do as well and their US birth certification.
He/she said 'both of ours'. As I said I don't understand that part.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, sorry

He/she said 'both of ours'. As I said I don't understand that part.

What is not to understand? Both Jim and I included our driver's licenses, passport copies and his green card when applying for his naturalization.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
What is not to understand? Both Jim and I included our driver's licenses, passport copies and his green card when applying for his naturalization.
That is what I asked him/her, if that was what's meant.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:58 pm
Concierge

That is what I asked him/her, if that was what's meant.
You can always d/l the guide to naturalization and the N-400 and read the form and see for yourself what is required.

As you did in the past, many of us do as well, and that is include more than what is asked for. They ask for photo identification for both and birth certificate and proof of US citizenship.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you so much!

I am planning to send a copy of my passport as well as my USC spouse's passport. It may be a little bit redundant but also plan do the same with our Driver's Licenses and Birth Certificate. I think, most people in the US calls it Marriage License instead of Marraige Certificate. I think they are the same.

One other question I had:

If I study the old 96 questons and the new 142 questions for the civics exam, will that be enough?
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing in the current instructions about driver's licences, the immigrant's foreign passport, or immigrant's foreign birth certificate. In my application, I sent the absolute bare minimum of required documents. Application, fee, photos, copy of green card, copy of marriage certificate, copy of US spouse's birth certificate, and IRS-issued tax transcripts. Nothing else. No bank statements, driver's licences, passports, etc. My application was processed normally and I'm now a US citizen. You really only need to send them what they ask for.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abir007
I think, most people in the US calls it Marriage License instead of Marraige Certificate. I think they are the same.
They aren't the same. Here in the USA, the marriage license is what you apply for before getting married. The marriage certificate is what you receive after getting married. The certified copy of your marriage certificate is the official record of your marriage.

If I study the old 96 questons and the new 142 questions for the civics exam, will that be enough?
Yes, that should cover everything.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They aren't the same. Here in the USA, the marriage license is what you apply for before getting married. The marriage certificate is what you receive after getting married. The certified copy of your marriage certificate is the official record of your marriage.

Exactly, hence my question.