Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 denial- difficult to believe

N-400 denial- difficult to believe

Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

topi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N-400 denial- difficult to believe

Interesting question . I don`t know the answer.
I was given N-652, Naturalization interview results.
The officer marked A, which is" Congratulations!Your application has been recommended for approval."
I don`t know if that is a standard for everyone or what.At the interview I assumed that it was.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by topi
The officer marked A, which is" Congratulations!Your application has been recommended for approval."
I don`t know if that is a standard for everyone or what.At the interview I assumed that it was.

Phew, yes that is standard. I know it was used back in 2003 when my DH had his interview for naturalization. All it means is that adjudicating officer has approved your petition and is just waiting for his supervisor to sign off on it. Apparently it appears that supervisors have to sign off on all approvals before the oath date is given out.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Rete. My wife was given the same notice last year at the conclusion of her interview. A notice with the date and place for taking the oath of citizenship came in the mail a few months later.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Phew, yes that is standard. I know it was used back in 2003 when my DH had his interview for naturalization. All it means is that adjudicating officer has approved your petition and is just waiting for his supervisor to sign off on it. Apparently it appears that supervisors have to sign off on all approvals before the oath date is given out.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

All decisions, by IO, have to be approved by, someone higher up. Mostly a formality. Checks and balances. I was lucky in NYC, the IO, ask me if I wanted to wait around for 20 minutes, secondary approval & Oath date. Ceremony, was 1 week later.
Some people wait, a week to months for the letter. Hopefully yours will be soon.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

It should be a formality. The one thing the officer wanted was the police certificates since " FBI failed to clear my fingerprints twice". I gave them what they wanted. The officer said "that should work".
I asked why my fingerprints failed , is it the new technology? The officer said that this is my fingers. But I have been successfully fingerprinted before for my first and second green card...
Anyway...
My daughter and I will be checking the mail box every afternoon.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Got the Oath Ceremony letter.
Form N-445 question:The part " You must bring the fallowing " all the boxes are checked including "Any immigration documents you may have".
what do they mean by" immigration documents"?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Form N-445 question:The part " You must bring the fallowing " all the boxes are checked including "Any immigration documents you may have".
Green card is all you'll need along with the form you were sent. Others/visitors attending will need some form of ID - usually a state driving license.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived at my Oath Ceremony, they asked for Green Card & all immigration docs. I said only have GC, they said its if you have any Re-entry Permits.
Go get em!
Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Being a "Belt & Braces" person, I brought my entire immigration (GC - Citizenship) file. My wife held on to it. I'm anal, so just in case person.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Green card is all you'll need along with the form you were sent. Others/visitors attending will need some form of ID - usually a state driving license.

If you have your passport I would suggest bringing it. Why? Because you will be asked if you traveled outside of the US since the interview and the Passport will show whether you did or didn't (as long it wasn't to Mexico or Canada).

I would also bring my green card as they will take it back from you and any active immigration documents you still have, i.e. advance parole.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
When I arrived at my Oath Ceremony, they asked for Green Card & all immigration docs. I said only have GC, they said its if you have any Re-entry Permits.
Go get em!
Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Being a "Belt & Braces" person, I brought my entire immigration (GC - Citizenship) file. My wife held on to it. I'm anal, so just in case person.
Agreed - any AP document(s)(s) would probably be surrendered easily. I was asked for nothing other than the appointment letter and had simply to paperclip my GC to it...
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

They also ask for updated information on trips and arrests (if applicable) since the interview and there are tick boxes and spaces to complete on the appointment form. I'd had a 3-week trip out of the US since interview and had indicated the fact. No comment was made. One lady did get turned away - had got married since her N-400 interview...
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Well , it`s over. At the ceremony they did asked for nothing but the GC.
It was 8 years ago when we started the process for AOS. We got older and smarter meanwhile.
Thanks everyone for the help.
For future readers I want share these couple of things:

Google. Tha chances are that the same things have happenned before and will happen again.

Post in forums like this. You may get some good hints. I got a great hint many years ago from Folinsky... Do read the immigration law, even if we are not lawyers gives us some basic information. It`s just like going to a doctor. It`s nice to read and get ready before that apt.

Call The USCIS 800 number numerous times. The chances are that every time will hear different info. Eventually some of it may be helpful. For me it was once in 8 years.

Write or call you representatives(congress).IF they don`t respond ,take your kids( if you have) and go in person. They could and will make miracles for you if you could get them on you side.USCIS listens to them .

At the end my biggest mistake was ,that I got upset and frustrated so many times during the process. Don`t do that , you wll get there at the end.
Good Luck.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Excellant news.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well , it`s over. At the ceremony they did asked for nothing but the GC.
It was 8 years ago when we started the process for AOS. We got older and smarter meanwhile.
Thanks everyone for the help.
For future readers I want share these couple of things:

Google. Tha chances are that the same things have happenned before and will happen again.

Post in forums like this. You may get some good hints. I got a great hint many years ago from Folinsky... Do read the immigration law, even if we are not lawyers gives us some basic information. It`s just like going to a doctor. It`s nice to read and get ready before that apt.

Call The USCIS 800 number numerous times. The chances are that every time will hear different info. Eventually some of it may be helpful. For me it was once in 8 years.

Write or call you representatives(congress).IF they don`t respond ,take your kids( if you have) and go in person. They could and will make miracles for you if you could get them on you side.USCIS listens to them .

At the end my biggest mistake was ,that I got upset and frustrated so many times during the process. Don`t do that , you wll get there at the end.
Good Luck.
Well done. You got there in the end.
Reg. Frank R.