Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 denial- difficult to believe

N-400 denial- difficult to believe

Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

topi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N-400 denial- difficult to believe

My story:
Married for an american citizen for 8 years, permenent resident for 7years.
Application for N-400 sent almost 2 years ago.Fingerprinted twice meanwhile.
Received a letter for an interview earlier this year that was later cancelled by the local office -no reason given.
After not hearing anything for while, I called the 800 number and was informed that my case was closed- no reason given.
After many letters to the local office and contacting my representatives the only thing I got so far from the local office is to " submit certified copies of police clearence for every city you have lived in for the past 5 years".I should bring those to the interview, however there is no interview scheduled .
It looks like a dead end street for me. I am just the average stay at home mom of a beautiful 5 year old american girl, never broken any law, never even been stopped by the police. Yet my husband and I have been punished by this beaurocratic mashine.
What do I do?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:14 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 denial- difficult to believe

Originally Posted by topi
My story:
Received a letter for an interview earlier this year that was later cancelled by the local office -no reason given.
After not hearing anything for while, I called the 800 number and was informed that my case was closed- no reason given.
After many letters to the local office and contacting my representatives the only thing I got so far from the local office is to " submit certified copies of police clearence for every city you have lived in for the past 5 years".I should bring those to the interview, however there is no interview scheduled .
It looks like a dead end street for me. I am just the average stay at home mom of a beautiful 5 year old american girl, never broken any law, never even been stopped by the police. Yet my husband and I have been punished by this beaurocratic mashine.
What do I do?

When you say representatives are you saying the local congressmans office and a lawyer!!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to say what has happened to your case. What district office are you dealing with? Did you not make an infopass appointment and go in person to ascertain what the problem was and when the next interview would be scheduled.

As a guess it would appear that perhaps the security check came up with some hits on your name but then again that would have happened during your AOS petition as well. Assuming that you have not been moving around a lot in the last five years, I would just contact the police department in each of the cities you have lived in and obtain clearance certificates. It doesn't seem lot a very difficult thing to do.

Why do you say your husband is being punished? Is he not a USC? Is he here illegally or on another type of visa and waiting for your naturalization so you can file for him?

If I were in the same situation, I would first make an infopass appointment and go in person and try to determine what is the problem. Then if it cannot be worked out at the infopass appointment, I would bring all this information to an immigration attorney and ask for their assistance in straightening out the problem.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

" submit certified copies of police clearence for every city you have lived in for the past 5 years".I should bring those to the interview, however there is no interview scheduled .
?
Well thats nonsense ...

Time to maybe go for a face to face chat
via infopass
http://infopass.uscis.gov/

and call to senators.. congressman ..

time to kick ass
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For future readers of this thread, it's not a bad idea to actually GO to a cancelled interview. You never know, maybe someone else can interview you that day after all, or at least you would not be a "no show" if that cancellation letter was sent by mistake or something.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My story:
What do I do?
Topi,

Just wanted to say sorry to hear about all this confusion. My alien husband just applied for citizenship, I would be upset if this happened to us as well. Go in person via Infopass appointment and talk to someone in person.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Well thats nonsense ...

Time to maybe go for a face to face chat
via infopass
http://infopass.uscis.gov/

and call to senators.. congressman ..

time to kick ass
Totally agree. Is there any such thing as a police clearance certificate from a city?? I've not heard of it.

Isn't doing a background check on the applicant part of the cost and process for the N-400? Why should the onus be put on the OP for it? Highly unusual request imo.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like a dead end street for me.
Why don't you simply reapply?

Ian
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much everyone,
I do remember some of you from 8 years ago when we started dealing with what it was then INS.
ABSOLUTELY: IF YOU DO EVER READ THIS AND HAVE AN INTERVIEW SCHEDULED AND CANCELLED- GO,GO , GO!
At least that the lady from the 800 number thought might `ve happenned.I didn`t show up and they FORGOT that they have cancelled it.I didn`t know what happened , these are just speculations but makes sense .
My husbund is an american, secound generation. He was punished because he is a good citizen of his country and what should have been a formality turns into a nightmare for us. Plus alot of money and time.
By representatives I mean a congessman and a senator. Both of them have been very fast in their response and I`m grateful, very grateful for that .I would certainly keep working with them.
I know about the infopass but it`s a long way and expensive stay. I do feel that the money would be better spend for our child education for example.
About the issue with the police clearence certificate, any more information would be very useful for me. We moved once .Who do I call and what do I do?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much everyone,
I do remember some of you from 8 years ago when we started dealing with what it was then INS.
ABSOLUTELY: IF YOU DO EVER READ THIS AND HAVE AN INTERVIEW SCHEDULED AND CANCELLED- GO,GO , GO!
At least that the lady from the 800 number thought might `ve happenned.I didn`t show up and they FORGOT that they have cancelled it.I didn`t know what happened , these are just speculations but makes sense .
My husbund is an american, secound generation. He was punished because he is a good citizen of his country and what should have been a formality turns into a nightmare for us. Plus alot of money and time.
By representatives I mean a congessman and a senator. Both of them have been very fast in their response and I`m grateful, very grateful for that .I would certainly keep working with them.
I know about the infopass but it`s a long way and expensive stay. I do feel that the money would be better spend for our child education for example.
About the issue with the police clearence certificate, any more information would be very useful for me. We moved once .Who do I call and what do I do?
You can make an Infopass Appt at your local district office. Typically, there are at least one or two in your state. How could that be that long of a distance, and that expensive to stay somewhere, even overnight? I would imagine you wouldn't need to drive more than a few hours to get to your nearest one. What state do you live in and we can help you find your local one.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the police certificates until you go to the InfoPass and find out why you received the denial notice.

Topi, this is not any kind of punishment. These things happen, it's not like USCIS singled you out for this.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

No it not that far - 2 hours and around 200 $ in total cost.
I know these things happenned and of course it`s not a punishment.
I did feel a little emotonal at first.
I didn`t received a denial notice. I know about it from the uscis 800 number
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:50 pm

No it not that far - 2 hours and around 200 $ in total cost.
I know these things happenned and of course it`s not a punishment.
I did feel a little emotonal at first.
I didn`t received a denial notice. I know about it from the uscis 800 number
I would not really trust the 800 number 100%. It's really best to go in person and talk to someone. If you can fix it by going to an Infopass appointment, that's cheaper than having to re-apply later.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

I woudn`t trust the 800 number most of the time. However in this case they have been helpful and much more prompt and serious in their resonse and actions than usual.
About the infopass I know that this is the best way to deal. I want to make sure that If I go there I leave with a solution. During my long hisrory with USCIS I have had around 10 infopasses and maybe only 1 or 2 ended with some kind of solution.
I have a good faith in my representatives .
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Well, my husband and I did it again.
I had my naturalization interview and I passed the test.
To make the long story short after an intense but short exchange of letters btn us and one of the congresspeople aides ,USCIS sent an interview appointment.
I never made an infopass. I have never had a lawyer.
I have my husband to thank for. He wrote all this long , touching letters.He did it.
Hope that my case will be appproved and hope to have an oath ceremony soon.
Hope my post will be helpful for many others.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, topi. I'm so pleased that your husband and the congressperson's staff were able to assist you.

I'm curious though why you were not approved at the time of the interview? Is something amiss that you were put on hold for approval?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.