Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My Recent Snag With US Imigration. Can you help?

My Recent Snag With US Imigration. Can you help?

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

ej pennypacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Recent Snag With US Imigration. Can you help?

My back story... I met a US girl, been travelling over nearly every month to see her for the last year and a half. On my last two trips though, I've spent 3 months each time, versus a simple weekend trip, like in the past.

On my recent trip over though (Jan 2nd) I was called aside for an 'interview'. Expecting this, I was surprised not to be called aside for Q's pertaining to terrorism, but that I have been coming 'in and out' the country too much for a temp VISA (tourist stand-alone VISA). The guy there said something about only allowing someone like myself a total of six months time 'in' the US before the temp VISA starts getting shaky. He advised me that if I planned on coming back to the US for another trip anytime soon, I may be denied entry into the US.

Anyone have any advice on this issue, as I would like to be back sometime in the future. And does anyone know how long it takes for my name to slip off the list and allow me a normal VISA status again?

Thanks in advance.

EJ
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Recent Snag With US Imigration. Can you help?

With the time you spent there..you obviously are not a tourist ..
which is what the visa waiver was intended ..you could apply for a B-2 Visa ..which would allow you as much as 6 months in any one year.. but if that is refused, in most cases you cannot go back to using the VW..I would suggest a minimum stay out would be 6 months ..but preferably one year ..

Last edited by ray6; Jan 7th 2004 at 9:33 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

suiram is an unknown quantity at this point

My back story... I met a US girl, been travelling over nearly every month to see her for the last year and a half. On my last two trips though, I've spent 3 months each time, versus a simple weekend trip, like in the past.
Your options:
1. Get B2. If consular officer learns of your girlfriend, you won't get it. S/He will question reasons behind the frequent visits.
2. Consider a work visa, but you must be qualified and need a employer.
3. Pop the question - normally you would try to get K1 ( fiancee ) visa to come to US and get married within 90 days.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

ej pennypacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Ray and Suiram.

It may make matters easier if I just popped the big Q.

Thanks again,

EJ
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

gazmix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ej pennypacker
Thanks for the advice Ray and Suiram.

It may make matters easier if I just popped the big Q.

Thanks again,

EJ
Dear Pennypacker
If you apply for a B2 & get denied under 214b or 221g ( that you proved insufficient home ties or your application needs further review), you can still use the waiver.

Although you do face additional problems proving non-immigrant intent! & face interrogation at immigration.

You are not allowed to use the VWP if you are denied but were not legible in the first place, e.g. a criminal record or some other reason that you shouldn't have applied.

There are a couple of people on here who have used the waiver successfully after a B2 denial. I have a denial for stupidly applying in the first place & have researched this extensively as well as speaking to the embassy! A short trip & plenty of funds & evidence i have been advised to do!

Good Luck

Last edited by gazmix; Jan 7th 2004 at 11:07 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

this is what you do. Since Bush himself is supporting illegals and going to give them special easier rights:

come to the US. Stay here.

Go downtown to little mexico and get your fake GC.

Go use a friends SSN and go work wherever you want. When asked, flash your fake gc. No one knows the difference.

When the Bush plan is announced. Head down to INS with a smile on your face and go get your work visa.

Go get a real SSN now and a real DL.

Go marry your gf, since you are legal now and can adjust.

Get your GC.

Have a nice day.

-= nav =-