Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My Musician's Life - Need Help With Some Details

Wikiposts

My Musician's Life - Need Help With Some Details

Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:41 am
Just Joined

simeonasmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Musician's Life - Need Help With Some Details

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm Simeon, I'm 19 years old from a reasonably well-off family in Surrey.

I'm a talented classical musician, started the piano aged three, and currently sitting on a pile of successful music exams including Grade 8 Oboe, 2 Piano Diplomas and Grade 8 Theory.

My life for the next two years will be devoted to completing my degree at Oxford University in Music which, with any luck, will result in my acquisition of one of the most highly prestigious music degrees in Europe.

---

Now, this is where reality ends and dreams begin.

First of all, I don't want to stay in this grotty country a minute longer than I have to. (I'm sure I'm in good company saying this on a website called British Expats).

My ultimate goal is to get employment as a composer/orchestrator in the Los Angeles area writing primarily for film and TV.

I have several plans that potentially get me where I want to be: The first is further education. There are several fantastic courses in film composition in LA based institutions - USC and UCLA spring immediately to mind.

My trouble with this is the F-1 student visa. This is a temporary, non-imigration visa and several sources (such as this one on solutionsinlaw.co.uk) say "The Visa officer will require evidence showing that the prospective student has strong ties to their home country as assurance of temporary intent to stay within the United States."

This is a problem - because once enrolled in the course of my choice, I would not intend to return to Britain - I would seek employment in Los Angeles. There must be a way round this - I thought of perhaps receiving a job offer whilst the visa is still valid, but this seems problematic as I have no legal right to work in the US.

Another thing I thought of was, after completing all studies in the UK and US, applying for the EB2 visa, but I don't know how practical this is, or how quickly it can be implemented.

Any help will be immensely appreciated - can't wait to hear from you all!

Simeon.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:54 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Musician's Life - Need Help With Some Details

Hi Simeon and welcome to BE.

Have you read the guide here to they options for moving to the US?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

That should lay your options out pretty clearly - then you can come back and ask specific questions.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:56 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simeonasmith
First off, let me introduce myself. I'm Simeon, I'm 19 years old from a reasonably well-off family in Surrey.

I'm a talented classical musician, started the piano aged three, and currently sitting on a pile of successful music exams including Grade 8 Oboe, 2 Piano Diplomas and Grade 8 Theory.

My life for the next two years will be devoted to completing my degree at Oxford University in Music which, with any luck, will result in my acquisition of one of the most highly prestigious music degrees in Europe.

---

Now, this is where reality ends and dreams begin.

First of all, I don't want to stay in this grotty country a minute longer than I have to. (I'm sure I'm in good company saying this on a website called British Expats).

My ultimate goal is to get employment as a composer/orchestrator in the Los Angeles area writing primarily for film and TV.

I have several plans that potentially get me where I want to be: The first is further education. There are several fantastic courses in film composition in LA based institutions - USC and UCLA spring immediately to mind.

My trouble with this is the F-1 student visa. This is a temporary, non-imigration visa and several sources (such as this one on solutionsinlaw.co.uk) say "The Visa officer will require evidence showing that the prospective student has strong ties to their home country as assurance of temporary intent to stay within the United States."

This is a problem - because once enrolled in the course of my choice, I would not intend to return to Britain - I would seek employment in Los Angeles. There must be a way round this - I thought of perhaps receiving a job offer whilst the visa is still valid, but this seems problematic as I have no legal right to work in the US.

Another thing I thought of was, after completing all studies in the UK and US, applying for the EB2 visa, but I don't know how practical this is, or how quickly it can be implemented.

Any help will be immensely appreciated - can't wait to hear from you all!

Simeon.
I'm sure others will be along with good comments shortly, but I thought reading the wiki below would be a good place for you to start to get your head around everything.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:58 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

There, now you have the short and the long version.

I hope your talents extend to reading!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:10 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbj1000
There, now you have the short and the long version.

I hope your talents extend to reading!
HA!!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simeon and welcome to BE.
FYI there is no standardised testing like the Associated Board over here in the states. In the classical music world in the US they are more interested in pieces performed, recitals given etc. etc. so keep any programmes that have your name in them for future reference.
Having been to a rehearsal of a major orchestra with John Williams conducting, only yesterday, I envy you your youth. Composing for movies has always been fascinating to me, and I wish you the best of luck
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simeon. I majored in music composition and theory at university (many years ago), and composed the music for a Canadian stage version of "Out of Our Father's House". Quite an intersting undertaking. I always wished I could write like Basil Poledouris (his score for Conan the Barbarian remains one of my favorites... very sad that he died a few years ago!)... but I was realistic enough to know that my best talent lay in teaching music, and that orchestral composition would have to remain a hobby - even to this day... some 35 years later. I very much envy your current position. Were I your age again, I dare say I would have trotted off to Hollywood if I had the chance.

May I offer an interim alternative - both Toronto and Vancouver have large and thriving film industries. As a UKC it would likely be easier to get into school in Canada than the US, and after a while living there, become a landed immigrant and eventually a Canadian citizen (which offers more US visa opportunities). Remember, you're still relatively young and in the music industry, experience is most important. Pay your dues in Canada and then consider a move to the US from there. You'll get as good a graduate education as you would in the US, and likely have more opportunity to pursue professional composition before breaking into the industry south of the border. Consider the US a long-term goal... I believe it will yield better results.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

F
I don't think you will win too many friends saying that, you may even shoot yourself in the foot and not get many helpful replies.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies! It's nice to feel welcome and to have some quick responses!

Toronto is a beautiful city, Ian, spent several weeks there - Canada is an idea, but life is short - I might look into it as a back up, but I want to be quite direct in my intentions. I've had this life plan for many years now, but only twice have I looked into the less exciting practicalities.. this is my second time around.

I have had a look at some of these Pulaski pages and the H-1B visa looks like my friend. How does this work in terms of the sponsor? And how can one go about getting employers interested when you only have the F-1 visa?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a look at some of these Pulaski pages and the H-1B visa looks like my friend. How does this work in terms of the sponsor?
I believe you have to have a degree, and the job position has to require a degree. The employer has to petition for you, so it's really up to them and their lawyers to get the paperwork all done on your behalf.

And how can one go about getting employers interested when you only have the F-1 visa?
While you are in school on an F-1 in the USA, you will make connections in the music industry, and hopefully make a connection to an employer who will want to hire you when your F-1 is finished.

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought most people in this sector were self employed?

Become famous and apply for an O1 would seem to be the best bet.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
While you are in school on an F-1 in the USA, you will make connections in the music industry, and hopefully make a connection to an employer who will want to hire you when your F-1 is finished.
I'd second that. I'd say the F-1 is your best bet right now. I'm sure if you work at it and with your talent, you'll get picked out of the crowd eventually. Out of interest, my dad now semi-retired was a pianist quite often for the LSO, NPO and some of the other major UK orchestras and wrote music scores for TV and film. Good luck.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought most people in this sector were self employed?

Become famous and apply for an O1 would seem to be the best bet.
I've always been slightly worried about that, Boiler, but if it's this difficult for successful people to get into the US (and seemingly so easy for thousands of Spanish speaking Mexican handymen/freeloaders to flood in) then they can kiss their economy goodbye altogether..
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:10 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been slightly worried about that, Boiler, but if it's this difficult for successful people to get into the US (and seemingly so easy for thousands of Spanish speaking Mexican handymen/freeloaders to flood in) then they can kiss their economy goodbye altogether..
And here we go... popcorn anyone?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
And here we go... popcorn anyone?
Do you need to be documented to be a freelance composer?

Just move and wait for amnesty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.