Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My Musician's Life - Need Help With Some Details

Wikiposts

My Musician's Life - Need Help With Some Details

Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Musician's Life - Need Help With Some Details

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It's not what you could bring, it's what you have already brought that is important. Believe it or not but there are probably thousands of people with the same or similar paper qualifications, many will already be in the country and eligible to work. You will need to have a track record of practical experience to put yourself on par or above those people to even give yourself a chance.
"My ultimate goal is to get employment as a composer/orchestrator in the Los Angeles area writing primarily for film and TV."

That's a great goal but one shared by many thousands or even millions of Americans also.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

simeonasmith is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's competitive, but I've got to start somewhere - no-one's born with the experience, and the main point is not my career - (I'm hardly anticipating writing the music for the next Avatar as soon as I graduate) but my desire to change where my career will unfold.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:15 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simeonasmith
I know it's competitive, but I've got to start somewhere - no-one's born with the experience, and the main point is not my career - (I'm hardly anticipating writing the music for the next Avatar as soon as I graduate) but my desire to change where my career will unfold.
I don't think anyone is trying to say you shouldn't reach for the stars - of course you should!! It's just that adding US immigration into the mix of that means things may not work out exactly as you're hoping. Sometimes its better to know that from the get go so that you don't have the rug pulled completely from underneath your feet later.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Yeah, well, frankly leaving where I am is more important to me than making a massive success of myself. That can happen if and when - my main focus is making a comfortable life for myself, doing the thing I love most, and starting fresh in a new place that I've chosen myself.

Sounds naiive - too good to come true, I know.. but I refuse to believe it's as difficult as it seems.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, well, frankly leaving where I am is more important to me than making a massive success of myself. That can happen if and when - my main focus is making a comfortable life for myself, doing the thing I love most, and starting fresh in a new place that I've chosen myself.

Sounds naiive - too good to come true, I know.. but I refuse to believe it's as difficult as it seems.
It sounds really flowery and pretty when you put it that way.

The point is, if you want to move to the US to accomplish that, you DO need to make a long-range plan. It really can be as difficult as it seems right now.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:02 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been slightly worried about that, Boiler, but if it's this difficult for successful people to get into the US (and seemingly so easy for thousands of Spanish speaking Mexican handymen/freeloaders to flood in) then they can kiss their economy goodbye altogether..
Do try your hardest not to be a tosser, young man.

Yes, it is difficult even for successful people to get into the US. You do not fall into that category yet.

But by falling back on the tired, trite, bitter little line about illegal immigrants you have exhibited the greatest degree of hypocrisy that any prospective immigrant can manage. You're the one who wants to come to America for a better live, remember?

Right now you bring far less to the table than an undocumented fruit picker - after all, the fruit picker plays an important role in this country's economy. You, by contrast, are looking for a job, and have little current prospect of getting one.

So take everyone's good advice here about making a long term plan involving study and hard work, and perhaps this country will finally let you in to compete with so many other home-grown, talented musicians... for day jobs in Starbucks and the odd recital or gig here and there.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this actually a possibility?
If you have no other options it is certainly something to think about.

The Dems want to do it to shore up their base for the next election, the issue is how much middle ground support they would lose. More complicated by the flack generated by Obamacare. A year ago I thought it would happen, now not so sure.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

What kind of employer would be willing to sponsor an H-1B visa?

Another interest of mine is teaching, would, say, a private high school sponsor the visa whilst I work as a music teacher?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Another interest of mine is teaching, would, say, a private high school sponsor the visa whilst I work as a music teacher?
Depends. You would have to convince a prospective employer that it would be worth their while to go through the added time and expense of hiring and sponsoring you over hiring someone here who is already qualified and work authorized. For teaching, there are local licensing requirements that need to be met on top of the immigration issues also.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The school my daughter went to sent several board members far and wide interviewing prospective teachers. If they can afford to do that I don't think the cost of a visa would put them off. Although due to the current economic climate I don't know whether this is still the case.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:40 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by discoviking
Depends. You would have to convince a prospective employer that it would be worth their while to go through the added time and expense of hiring and sponsoring you over hiring someone here who is already qualified and work authorized. For teaching, there are local licensing requirements that need to be met on top of the immigration issues also.
That, and one with quasi deep pockets. My employer (one of the 'big four' accounting firms) sent all our IT staff that were here on H1Bs back to their home countries late last year (once their time was up) because they didn't want to pay for their visas any longer.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:05 am
Just Joined

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-JIUO0OY...er&scode=43578

This is the very kind of thing I'd need as a foothold. This seems quite uncomplicated. I found this within about thirty seconds of searching.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-JIUO0OY...er&scode=43578

This is the very kind of thing I'd need as a foothold. This seems quite uncomplicated. I found this within about thirty seconds of searching.
You can find many jobs but getting the visa is the thing. The employer still has to prove that they can not employ a USC or someone already with PR and you still have to meet local state requirements for teacher.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
You can find many jobs but getting the visa is the thing. The employer still has to prove that they can not employ a USC or someone already with PR and you still have to meet local state requirements for teacher.
The italicized part is not true for an application for an H1-B visa, the petitioner 'only' has to prove that the position is a speciality occupation and that the prospective employee has the necessary qualifications. If the position is in a private institution the state licensing may not be an issue.

That said, the OP doesn't come anywhere near qualifying for an H1-B visa right now.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newXgate
The italicized part is not true for an application for an H1-B visa, the petitioner 'only' has to prove that the position is a speciality occupation and that the prospective employee has the necessary qualifications. If the position is in a private institution the state licensing may not be an issue.

That said, the OP doesn't come anywhere near qualifying for an H1-B visa right now.
My husband was employed on H1-B and his job description was pinned up on the wall in his workplace to see if anyone else was interested/qualified...I don't know what would have happened if that someone had appeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.