Moving to USA - H1b/sponsorship

Old Dec 26th 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Matthew-Colthup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to USA - H1b/sponsorship

I am currently in the UK with a British passport. I am researching the ins and outs of sponsorship and the H1b visa.
I was recently in New York and by chance met and auditioned (guitar)with a reasonably famous singer,with fairly extensive contacts. My artist management agency Manhattan Music Ltd in the UK are sending a follow up letter.
I know that is very difficult to obtain sponsorship and an H1b visa. I have sent a questionaire to a US migration attorney, though have yet to receive a reply.
I would be grateful for any information and advise about this, such as how long the process can take and actual accounts from people who have done it.

Matthew
Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA - H1b/sponsorship

Hi Matthew, I've moved your post to the Immigration forum where it belongs.

There are some other visas that might be more applicable for you; you might want to read about the O and P visas here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...niv/index.html

It would behoove you to find a US immigration attorney who specializes in your industry... a lot of this stuff is very specific and not everyone practices the same sort of immigration law. Someone who works with the entertainment industry will be more familiar with the ways to get you over.

Nice Strat. If you get it refinished when you're here, I'll bet I'll see it!

edit: I see 'university' mentioned in your profile now; there may be other ways for you to get to the US other than through playing specifically.

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 26th 2009 at 8:04 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew-Colthup
I was recently in New York and by chance met and auditioned (guitar)with a reasonably famous singer,with fairly extensive contacts.
Unfortunately, that really doesn't help you a whole lot with respect to immigration.

I know that is very difficult to obtain sponsorship and an H1b visa.
At this point in time, the best you can hope for is that the company applies for an H-1B visa for you on April 1, 2010 for work starting October 1, 2010.

I would be grateful for any information...
You might have better luck with a P-1 visa or an O-1 visa if you tour with this person.

Ian
Old Dec 26th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Can your company investigate for you? They are your agents.

As I am sure you know from your research, you would have to be one hellva a guitar player.

The Stage newspaper runs articles about this on a semi recent basis. You might want to check their website, but to save you a job my friend, heres some to start off with you but do research at your own leisure.

http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/gradsclu...s-bad-accents/

older and more pertinent article here:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/connect/eagle/0905.php

Last edited by Ginblossom; Dec 26th 2009 at 10:33 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Having difficulty navigating this - am trying to upload photo for profile - can you help?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hi Matthew, I've moved your post to the Immigration forum where it belongs.

There are some other visas that might be more applicable for you; you might want to read about the O and P visas here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...niv/index.html

It would behoove you to find a US immigration attorney who specializes in your industry... a lot of this stuff is very specific and not everyone practices the same sort of immigration law. Someone who works with the entertainment industry will be more familiar with the ways to get you over.

Nice Strat. If you get it refinished when you're here, I'll bet I'll see it!

edit: I see 'university' mentioned in your profile now; there may be other ways for you to get to the US other than through playing specifically.
Am having difficulty uploading photo onto my profile. I have reduced its size, but still not being accepted. Can you help? Im a novice on discussion forums!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Am having difficulty uploading photo onto my profile. I have reduced its size, but still not being accepted. Can you help? Im a novice on discussion forums!
You can post that type of question in the "Site Feedback" forum, since it's a technical question.

Rene
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, you've perfectly uploaded the photo to your profile, but I'll be you want one for your "avatar".

From the yellow bar at the top of the page, select 'my profile', then from the left of that page, select 'edit avatar'. You can upload a smaller one there from your own computer, or link to a website picture.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Actually, you've perfectly uploaded the photo to your profile, but I'll be you want one for your "avatar".

From the yellow bar at the top of the page, select 'my profile', then from the left of that page, select 'edit avatar'. You can upload a smaller one there from your own computer, or link to a website picture.
Thanks - have uploaded same one to my 'avatar'.