L1A and EB1C

Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

owiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1A and EB1C

Hi,

I am working in a senior IT role in the UK at the moment. However, I don't have any people directly reporting to me. I do assign work to our offshore team members (contractors). I have a potential opportunity to move into a managerial role in the US. Would I be eligible for L1A. My employer is likely to apply for GC one year after my relocation. Would I be eligible for GC in EB1C category after one year (Assuming that the employer is willing apply).

I am keen to pursue this opportunity only if L1A/EB1C is a feasible option for me at this point of time. Not very keen on pursuing it, if the only option is L1B/EB2. I have a couple of Masters and industry certifications. Any input is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A and EB1C

Originally Posted by owiz
However, I don't have any people directly reporting to me.
Not necessarily required for an L-1A visa. Research the phrase "functional manager".

Would I be eligible for L1A.
Very likely, yes.

Would I be eligible for GC in EB1C category after one year (Assuming that the employer is willing apply).
Very likely, yes.

Ian
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: L1A and EB1C

Originally Posted by owiz
I am working in a senior IT role in the UK at the moment. However, I don't have any people directly reporting to me. I do assign work to our offshore team members (contractors). I have a potential opportunity to move into a managerial role in the US. Would I be eligible for L1A.
As Ian says, if you will qualify as a functional manager in the US - managing a significant function of the company - you should meet the L-1A requirements, assuming you also worked for the UK company for at least a year.

My employer is likely to apply for GC one year after my relocation. Would I be eligible for GC in EB1C category after one year (Assuming that the employer is willing apply).
If the employer can show that you were a manager in the UK for at least a year, and that you are a manager in the US, you may be eligible as EB-1. It is more difficult to get functional managers approved than managers of people, but not impossible.