Moving to New York from England

Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New York from England

Originally Posted by AshikaVadher
Thanks, I've just read the page and I saw that it said employers don't take you seriously if you're outside the US. Does this include the larger companies like Google, Microsoft, etc.
Yes. I had absolutely no interest, none whatsoever, from US employers despite not needing visa sponsorship and having a degree, professional qualifications and a number of years experience working for well known businesses, until I found a recruitment agent willing to help me and traveling to the US at my own expense for interviews.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

AshikaVadher is an unknown quantity at this point

so when you went to the interviews, I assume you told them you didn't live there? - what was their response?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I've just read the page and I saw that it said employers don't take you seriously if you're outside the US. Does this include the larger companies like Google, Microsoft, etc.
Yes, if you're applying directly to the USA. If there is a branch in the UK that you can get hired into and then transfer, that might be an option. Don't know if there is such a thing with those companies you mentioned, though.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

so when you went to the interviews, I assume you told them you didn't libe there? - what was their response?
Well they knew I was relocating, but once I got my foot in the door my CV spoke for itself - five interviews in three days, well two-and-a-half days really, and three job offers.

On the third day, after the fifth interview, I went to the top of the World Trade Center with my wife - it was August 22, 2001.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

I'm sure there are some in the UK, mainly London though - I know Google has, but I'm still to find out if they transfer
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Oh so you were already moving before you had a job?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

so when you went to the interviews, I assume you told them you didn't live there? - what was their response?
It would be helpful if you could use the Quote feature, so we know who you're responding to. Thanks.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:28 pm

Me? Maybe, I really wanted to know I was coming to a job though.

I am not sure what I would have done if I didn't get a job offer from my first visit - probably another visit for more interviews.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 9th 2016 at 10:30 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:28 pm

Pulaski's wife is a USC. He immigrated that way.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:29 pm

I'm sure there are some in the UK, mainly London though - I know Google has, but I'm still to find out if they transfer
But will you be able to get a job at Google with a degree in Psychology/Criminology?

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Before finding out if you can move to the US (why, is another question that is beyond me!), you need to a) concentrate on getting your qualifications, b) get some experience under your belt and/or find a position with a company that has a US-based office and c) get to a position of value where the company will actually transfer you!

You seem to be looking too far ahead and at something you have little chance of achieving. Read the wiki and get down to some serious studying nd working, THEN come back and see if it could be done. Right now, it's a pipe dream.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you are going to move to the USA on anything other than a marriage visa or by coming into some serious dosh. It takes serious thinking and serious planning then a serious amount of work. The flavour of the posts indicate the need to take the whole idea to a new level of seriousness.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There is a great call for people to rehabilitate prisoners on death row in Oregon ever since the current and last Governors decided to no longer allow death sentences to be carried out. I'm sure the snowflakes in Oregon, especially those in Portland, would be happy to have such people rehabilitated and released back into society to perform useful employment. Quite a shortage of decent Indian restaurants in Oregon as well.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:11 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

At first I wanted to work with inmates on death row to rehabilitate them etc.
Good thing you gave that idea up since New York's death row is currently empty.

People who work with death row or LWOP inmates usually take on their cases pro bono. It's usually charities that do that work.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

This has got to be a wind up! You can't decide between working with death rowers, HR or opening a restaurant...........maybe you should study 'knowing what you want'

Sorry there is no way you are serious.

I thought I was indecisive, well I am, I think, maybe I should ask someone, no,no I know I am...............thinking about it maybe not.

Anyhow welcome to BE, people here have amazing knowledge of the processes, get your thoughts together, decide what you want, and then ask specific questions.
I'm afraid airy fairy, vague questions get short shrift.

Good luck with your plans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.