Moving to New York from England

Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:24 am
Just Joined

AshikaVadher is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to New York from England

Hi guys & gals,

I am currently in my first year of university in England studying Psychology with Criminology. I am going to be completing a Masters degree in it too. However, my ultimate goal is to move to New York and work there but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have experimce working for my mum in a law firm during a couple of summer holidays but that's it - obviously I'm hoping to find a job here whilst I am studying. Can anyone help me? Like how much money would I need, how to apply for jobs there while I'm over here and typical living costs. I'm aiming towards Staten Island out of all the boroughs but any information of NY in general will be appreciated. Is there a way to talk to people over there?

Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New York from England

Originally Posted by AshikaVadher
Hi guys & gals,

I am currently in my first year of university in England studying Psychology with Criminology. I am going to be completing a Masters degree in it too. However, my ultimate goal is to move to New York and work there but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have experimce working for my mum in a law firm during a couple of summer holidays but that's it - obviously I'm hoping to find a job here whilst I am studying. Can anyone help me? Like how much money would I need, how to apply for jobs there while I'm over here and typical living costs. I'm aiming towards Staten Island out of all the boroughs but any information of NY in general will be appreciated. Is there a way to talk to people over there?

Thanks
Your post is confusing in that I can't decide if you meant to tell us that you will be going for your master's degree in a US school or if you will be continuing your education in the UK?

You cannot just come to the US and look for and accept a job without the proper visa.

Please go to the wiki linked in the header above and look at Pulaski's Way To The US and see where you might fit in.

As for Staten Island. Nice little island off the southern end of Manhattan but not a place for you to find employment in your chosen field.

Whatever do you mean by "Is there a way to talk to people over there?". Not to be rude but is English your first language? Americans speak their version of the Queen's English with their own nuances. We usually can understand British English but might have a bit of a difficulty with slang.

No clue how much money you will need as I don't know how long you will be in the US on your vacation<?>. You can look for jobs but you can't accept any without the proper visa. Work visas are applied for by the employer not by the employee.

Do think you need to sort out quite a bit on the visa end of things before you let that dream overtake you.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 9th 2016 at 9:05 am.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:04 am
Just Joined

I will be continuing my education in the UK. I won't be moving to NY unless I get a job offer from someone there.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I will be continuing my education in the UK. I won't be moving to NY unless I get a job offer from someone there.
Then realistically you will not be coming to the US within the next 5 or more years. Your profession is not one in high demand and you won't qualify for just any job in a law firm in NYC. Even as a paralegal you will need to attend school here in the US to earn a certificate to become a paralegal.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Lol, English is my first language, I meant like is there a way to be able to ask people about their experiences and how they moved over, etc. And so do I have to apply for a job there, then they apply for a visa? Or do they have to apply for it before I can put in an application? By the way, when I said I did experience with my mum, it was just for experience with customers and skills - I don't actually want to do law. At first I wanted to work with inmates on death row to rehabilitate them etc. but my family have said that is a long shot, so I'm more interested in working with bigger companies in Human Resources or something like that.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Finish your Masters degree first. Then get a job with a company in the UK that also has offices in the USA. After 1 year of working for them, look into a transfer.

Make this an 8 to 10 year plan.

Yes, there's a way of talking to them...you're doing it now.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:24 am
Concierge

At first I wanted to work with inmates on death row to rehabilitate them etc. but my family have said that is a long shot, so I'm more interested in working with bigger companies in Human Resources or something like that.
Errr, what is the point of rehabilitating someone who is on dead row? It's not like they are going to be getting out anything soon, other than on a gurney or in a coffin.

There is a thread from last week from someone in HR who wanted to come and live and work in NYC. Guess what? HR is not the type of employment that will get you a visa.

Since you are still in school please do a lot more research on what categories/professions are in demand for work visas and what a work visa is and which one might be the right one for you.

There is an H visa and an L visa. Someone else will be along to help you but you can google these two visas and read up on them.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you studying Psychology and Criminology if your goal is to work in Human Resources? That doesn't add up.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:32 am
Just Joined

But isn't there a chance that they would be able to 'get out' of death row? But it was also to talk to them about why they did what they did etc. it's very vague I know but I never knew of a specific job that actually did this other than a psychotherapist. And of course I'll do more research, I still have 3 and a half years to go until I finish university...that is if my parents don't mind me not getting a PhD. But I am taking into account that demand for jobs can change within this time.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:35 am
Just Joined

it wasn't my original goal and I can't change the degree now. This was a compromise degree because my parents didn't want me to open a restaurant that I have been wanting to do for ages. They proposed I did something with finance or law but we met in the middle with this degree (it is still a degree as they wanted me to have something under my belt but it wasn't something that I would not enjoy)
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:35 am

You're currently only in your first year of school. You have 3 more years to get your Bachelors, and then another 2 or 3 to get your Masters. I count at least 5 more years of school.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Well I guess it just gives me more time to research
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:37 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't there a chance that they would be able to 'get out' of death row? But it was also to talk to them about why they did what they did etc. it's very vague I know but I never knew of a specific job that actually did this other than a psychotherapist. And of course I'll do more research, I still have 3 and a half years to go until I finish university...that is if my parents don't mind me not getting a PhD. But I am taking into account that demand for jobs can change within this time.
What on earth do you think death row is? If the sentence were to be commuted, the only alternative is life without parole.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:38 am

it wasn't my original goal and I can't change the degree now. This was a compromise degree because my parents didn't want me to open a restaurant that I have been wanting to do for ages. They proposed I did something with finance or law but we met in the middle with this degree (it is still a degree as they wanted me to have something under my belt but it wasn't something that I would not enjoy)
I assume they are paying your tuition, that's why you have to consider their wants?

The problem is, if you want an H-1B visa in the future, the job must require a degree, and you must have the relevant degree that the job requires.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Well the government are paying for the fees but obviously I have to repay this after I have finished and have a job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.