Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical / Mental Health Questions.

Medical / Mental Health Questions.

Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical / Mental Health Questions.

As my medical is on Tuesday, I'm all prepared for it other than one thing.

Bit of background - I had recurrent depression and was diagnosed with an emotionally unstable personality disorder in 2006, where I was under a psychiatrist and on medication for it at that time. It was life circumstantial as I was going through a traumatic divorce and was separated from my children at that time. Since then, I have come off of the medication and have not had any further lapses for that particular problem since. However, earlier this year I was signed off with work-related anxiety, from which I fairly quickly recovered from without the need of medication or psychiatric/psychological intervention.

I was clued up enough (thanks to this site and the good people on it) to obtain a letter from my doctor over this, however he has lumped all of my mental health history together so it does not read as two separate events. It reads as my diagnosis in 2006 and the anxiety I had this year are related and that I refused treatment this year, when in reality the two events were unrelated and the treatment I was offered, I found to be unnecessary as it did not relate to the problem I had at the time, and I felt I could cope with it by cutting my hours at work, which I did do.

Now, how are they likely to view all this at the medical? I have a separate letter regarding my vaccination history (pulled off from "Child Health Surveillance" records) which gives a list of "Significant Medical History" and lists in this about the diagnosis in 2006, and does not mention the slight and very short lived work-related anxiety I had at the beginning of this year. Should I present that and not the letter? I have requested another letter from the doctor, with very specific wording that I suggested to him, but I may not have that letter in time, and it is a little late to reschedule my medical now.

Would they, based on the information I have given here, send me for a psychiatric evaluation due to nothing more than a reaction to a life situation 6 years ago, and a little anxiety this year?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical / Mental Health Questions.

Originally Posted by Emma M
... how are they likely to view all this at the medical?
There's really no way to know. They might think it's okay if your doctor has pretty much said that you're fine now... or they might want clarification from him... or they might want you to see one of their own doctors.

Should I present that and not the letter?
No.

I have requested another letter from the doctor, with very specific wording that I suggested to him, but I may not have that letter in time, and it is a little late to reschedule my medical now.
Ah... well then, if it doesn't arrive in time then all you can do is take what you have.

Would they, based on the information I have given here, send me for a psychiatric evaluation due to nothing more than a reaction to a life situation 6 years ago, and a little anxiety this year?
Yes, they could.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma,

I remember reading a few things about mental illness here and I found these threads which may be of use to you.

To find more, go to the 'Search' facility (below the blue menu bar, above) and then select 'advanced search'.

Good luck!

Note: Some of these threads are a few years old; you will need to verify that any procedures / requirements mentioned in them are still correct.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665408

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644086

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628470

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627432

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611708

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605996

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596991

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601041

(Hi Ian! )

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Jul 20th 2012 at 4:45 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi Emma,

I remember reading a few things about mental illness here and I found these threads which may be of use to you.

To find more, go to the 'Search' facility (below the blue menu bar, above) and then select 'advanced search'.

Good luck!

Note: Some of these threads are a few years old; you will need to verify that any procedures / requirements mentioned in them are still correct.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665408

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644086

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628470

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627432

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611708

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605996

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596991

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601041

(Hi Ian! )
You are a star! Thank you so much for all of that very useful information!
One more question -(if I was to go for a psychiatric evaluation) how long would it then take for my medical reports with the psychiatric evaluation in them to then reach the embassy? Just trying to work out a rough estimated timeline for the whole process.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma,

I'm really not sure about that, probably best to press that question from your doctors / care providers.

I think that time frames can vary wildly case by case, doctor by doctor.

I would say as a general rule do not fear your medical in any way nor be afraid of answering questions honestly.

I was afraid, but not because of mental issues, but I had no need to worry. Wosrt case normally is that the panel physcian will seek further clarification form another doctor.

Be confident and don't worry!! Let us know how you get on!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi Emma,

I'm really not sure about that, probably best to press that question from your doctors / care providers.

I think that time frames can vary wildly case by case, doctor by doctor.

I would say as a general rule do not fear your medical in any way nor be afraid of answering questions honestly.

I was afraid, but not because of mental issues, but I had no need to worry. Wosrt case normally is that the panel physcian will seek further clarification form another doctor.

Be confident and don't worry!! Let us know how you get on!
Will do, and thanks once again!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

AliciaPhil79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question on the medical, would being overweight, high blood pressure (but never high enough to take med's) BMI of 34 and eczema would that be an issue on the medical or are they looking for stuff which could infect other people or metal health issues?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliciaPhil79
I have a question on the medical, would being overweight, high blood pressure (but never high enough to take med's) BMI of 34 and eczema would that be an issue on the medical or are they looking for stuff which could infect other people or metal health issues?
I don't think your health problems will prevent you getting your visa.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

AliciaPhil79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea what I keep telling my hubby, but he thiinks overweight and high blood pressure is an issue.

He has his medical on tuesday 24th, just hope all goes well.

Then Ill put him on a diet lol
Old Jul 21st 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just 34? Pretty good going compared to what I was at time of my medical?

My BP was way over 140/80 but it wasn't a problem as I was treated for it and that is the key - they want to see that a condition is being managed.

And, don't forget, there are rumours that that they going to start insisting that people have to be over a BMI of 30 just to get into the USA!!

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Jul 21st 2012 at 11:48 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

and eczema
I'm surprised you mentioned this; why do you think that would be an issue?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

See the Technical Instructions For Panel Physicians on the CDC web site.

Regards, JEff

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
See the Technical Instructions For Panel Physicians on the CDC web site.
Nothing "technical" about them... they're actual instructions!

Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:46 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The CDC is using the word correctly in this context:
1. Of, relating to, or derived from technique. 2. a. Having special skill or practical knowledge especially in a mechanical or scientific field: a technical adviser.

But, I know where you're coming from!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Nothing "technical" about them... they're actual instructions!

Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I have my new and improved doctor's letter I'm happier with that one, it gives a more detailed description of my history.
MEDICAL TOMORROW!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.