Medical Exam Question...

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

kelly2377 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Exam Question...

I submitted AOS based upon marriage to USC July, 2004. I had my medical exam right away but held on to it because I thought they would ask me for it at my interview. My application was transferred from VT to Baltimore and I received a letter saying I needed to come in for fingerprinting. The next day I received a letter saying my medical examination records were needed by April, 2005 or my case would be deemed abandoned.

To kill two birds with one stone I decided to hand deliver my medical exam papers when I went in for fingerprinting. When I went up to the counter I gave the INS officer the sealed envelope and the letter i had received in the mail (my only record). She then stapled the letter to the envelope and said she would send it over the appropriate place the next day. This was about 2 weeks ago. I have since received an email from USCIS saying my case has resumed because my fingerprints were received and teh background check is done. I didn't receive any sort of email regarding the medical exam.

If I call the 1-800 number will they be able to tell me whether the medical exam papers ended up where they were supposed to end up? If not, will I receive an email notification or do I need to make an infopass appt to go to Baltimore to talk to an Officer to make sure my application is complete and they have the medical report... I just stress out because I've heard so many stories about things being lost.. HELP....
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Exam Question...

Try not to worry. You got an e-mail re the fingerprinting and telling you that your caseword was resuming. They would not have done that if they hadn't received the medical. Would have been better to mail it return receipt requested so you have proof of delivery but that is neither here nor there at this point.

If you have the time and the worry is great, you can make the Infopass appt and go in person to be sure it was received.

Rete
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:31 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
They would not have done that if they hadn't received the medical. Would have been better to mail it return receipt requested so you have proof of delivery but that is neither here nor there at this point.
Rete
Perhaps (they would not have done that if....) [and let's hope so]. And I agree with the point that it would have been better to follow their instructions.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Feb 3rd 2005 at 1:43 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

kelly2377 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only advice I received from them was to make sure my medical examination records were delivered to the Baltimore INS office. The letter did not say it had to be mailed or how it need to be delivered.

As I see it, the fingerprinting and medical exam records are separate. The letter said if the records were not received in Baltimore before April 10 (?) my application would be considered abandoned. This doesn't mean that they would stop processing my application in the interim (i.e. fingerprinting). True I should have probably sent it return receipt requested but I thought it would be easier and save time to deliver it to a live person when I was at the office. I'm sure it was received and I will probably make an Infopass appt before April if I don't receive an interview letter before that. I can't take the chance. Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:46 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelly2377
The only advice I received from them was to make sure my medical examination records were delivered to the Baltimore INS office. The letter did not say it had to be mailed or how it need to be delivered.

As I see it, the fingerprinting and medical exam records are separate. The letter said if the records were not received in Baltimore before April 10 (?) my application would be considered abandoned. This doesn't mean that they would stop processing my application in the interim (i.e. fingerprinting). True I should have probably sent it return receipt requested but I thought it would be easier and save time to deliver it to a live person when I was at the office. I'm sure it was received and I will probably make an Infopass appt before April if I don't receive an interview letter before that. I can't take the chance. Thanks.
I hope the ASC gets it to Baltimore for you. That might work, but I would not have relied on someone else to get it to them for me (but what's done is done). I hope it works out (and my guess is that it likely will).
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:17 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

Rete wrote:
    >>I submitted AOS based upon marriage to USC July, 2004. I had my
    >>medical exam right away but held on to it because I thought they would
    >>ask me for it at my interview. My application was transferred from VT
    >>to Baltimore and I received a letter saying I needed to come in for
    >>fingerprinting. The next day I received a letter saying my medical
    >>examination records were needed by April, 2005 or my case would be
    >>deemed abandoned.
    >>To kill two birds with one stone I decided to hand deliver my medical
    >>exam papers when I went in for fingerprinting. When I went up to the
    >>counter I gave the INS officer the sealed envelope and the letter i
    >>had received in the mail (my only record). She then stapled the
    >>letter to the envelope and said she would send it over the appropriate
    >>place the next day. This was about 2 weeks ago. I have since received
    >>an email from USCIS saying my case has resumed because my fingerprints
    >>were received and teh background check is done. I didn't receive any
    >>sort of email regarding the medical exam.
    >>If I call the 1-800 number will they be able to tell me whether the
    >>medical exam papers ended up where they were supposed to end up? If
    >>not, will I receive an email notification or do I need to make an
    >>infopass appt to go to Baltimore to talk to an Officer to make sure my
    >>application is complete and they have the medical report... I just
    >>stress out because I've heard so many stories about things being
    >>lost.. HELP....
    >
    >
    > Try not to worry. You got an e-mail re the fingerprinting and telling
    > you that your caseword was resuming. They would not have done that if
    > they hadn't received the medical. Would have been better to mail it
    > return receipt requested so you have proof of delivery but that is
    > neither here nor there at this point.
    >
    > If you have the time and the worry is great, you can make the Infopass
    > appt and go in person to be sure it was received.
    >
    > Rete
    >

Another thing the OP could have done was make a copy of the sealed
medical exam envelope and ask the IIO to stamp it as received.

Finally: all goverment employees, including CIS employees, are required
to give you a name or identifier number upon demand. So you could
always ask for that information.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue, Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]
================================================== =============