Medical - Blood Pressure

Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:21 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical - Blood Pressure

Hi all- I've been hunting around in the CDC panel physicians website for any guidance relating to blood pressure and what will be considered abnormal and be referred back to the GP. Has anyone seen any guidance on this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical - Blood Pressure

I can't help with a definitive answer on this but anything I've read (i.e. INA 212(a)) about inadmissibility relates only to communicable diseases/mental illness/drug abuse. What makes you think that high/low blood pressure is relevant to immigration law (other than perhaps as a symptom of another condition)?

I'm about to head to my medical exam now, so I'll let you know if the doc says anything about it.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Feb 20th 2013 at 7:29 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
I'm about to head to my medical exam now, so I'll let you know if the doc says anything about it.
When I attended my medical here in London, I was having a conversation with the doctor who was carrying out the examination. She said she was surprised that my blood pressure was so normal. When I asked why that would be surprising, she explained that people attending the medical are more anxious because of the tests being undertaken, their fear of medical issues being identified, the importance in relation to their visa application, their fear of needles, nakedness, etc. For that reason, she explained, most people she examines have high blood pressure.

Obviously, I do not have the limits to provide you with, or the impact of high blood pressure on a visa application, but the conversation I had with the doctor in London would serve to suggest it's very common. Common sense would suggest then, that it's a non-issue.

Regards, Rich.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:05 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that it was checked, an I abnormal would be referred back to your GP for treatment. This would require a letter from your GP before they would send the results to the Embassy. I defiantly read it somewhere!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:30 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
I can't help with a definitive answer on this but anything I've read (i.e. INA 212(a)) about inadmissibility relates only to communicable diseases/mental illness/drug abuse. What makes you think that high/low blood pressure is relevant to immigration law (other than perhaps as a symptom of another condition)?

Or even better, you could overtly ask what they are looking for
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Hi all- I've been hunting around in the CDC panel physicians website for any guidance relating to blood pressure and what will be considered abnormal and be referred back to the GP. Has anyone seen any guidance on this?

Thanks in advance.

In the US, they frown on anything over 140/90.

I'm rerminded about it each year, when I go for my DOT Physical,

Jim
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richbogle84
When I attended my medical here in London, I was having a conversation with the doctor who was carrying out the examination. She said she was surprised that my blood pressure was so normal. When I asked why that would be surprising, she explained that people attending the medical are more anxious because of the tests being undertaken, their fear of medical issues being identified, the importance in relation to their visa application, their fear of needles, nakedness, etc. For that reason, she explained, most people she examines have high blood pressure.
Oh good. Mine is usually about 110/75 but today it was 130/80. I thought I had just been eating too many pies but now I have an excuse .

I was under the impression that it was checked, an I abnormal would be referred back to your GP for treatment. This would require a letter from your GP before they would send the results to the Embassy. I defiantly read it somewhere!
Perhaps if you have abnormal blood pressure and associated conditions you could get your GP to write a letter of explanation before you go to the medical. Might save some time.

Or even better, you could overtly ask what they are looking for
Sorry, I did mean to but the nurse was chatting away to me while she was taking it and I got distracted. I would guess that if you're under 140/90 it won't raise any eyebrows.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:42 pm
Often not so civil...

I don't, I just tested my BP and its in the mid 130s/90s. Looks like ill be ok. Thanks all!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't, I just tested my BP and its in the mid 130s/90s. Looks like ill be ok. Thanks all!
Plus, at the rate they are processing your I-130 you probably have a few years to work on getting it down .
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:57 pm
Often not so civil...

This is true...
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richbogle84
When I asked why that would be surprising, she explained that people attending the medical are more anxious because of the tests being undertaken, their fear of medical issues being identified, the importance in relation to their visa application, their fear of needles, nakedness, etc. For that reason, she explained, most people she examines have high blood pressure.
It's called "white coat syndrome". Anybody working in the transport industries often get it. When your job is on the line every 6 months or a year it's not that surprising. One of our pilots gets it every time yet he sails through everything else. I don't get it but I have enough trouble elsewhere, enough to keep the Medical Feds at OKC in business (bastards!)
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you "read it somewhere" it must be true. Especially if that 'somewhere' was the internet.

But you really should chill out and be less defiant.

Regards, JEff