Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

London Us Embassy for J-1 Trainee - what to expect ?

London Us Embassy for J-1 Trainee - what to expect ?

Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

KLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London Us Embassy for J-1 Trainee - what to expect ?

Hi,

I'm currently waiting for my interview at the US Embassy in London and wondered if anyone had been through the process recently ?

I am attending for an 18 month J-1 trainee visa.

I just wondered what the entire process was like from arriving, queueing, security etc...

What sort of wait times can I expect ? (I've had a look around on here and noted some people saying they'd waited 4+ hours others said the whole process took less than 30 minutes.

How long does the interview take ? I think I'm as prepared as I can be for this part, but suppose I just wondered if anyone had any questions they weren't expecting.

Can I take food in ? What food is available in side the embassy ? I don't have a major issue with this but do find in stressful situations my sugar levels drop a little and so I like to carry something like a sandwich or biscuits with me just in case (hence this question)

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone that has been through the embassy for the same or similar visa could explain the process.

Many Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Us Embassy for J-1 Trainee - what to expect ?

Hi There

In regards to waiting times inside the embassy, you said you have researched it and seen some response times given. Well then, you know what sort of wait times to expect, because you have all ready mentioned the best case and possibly the worst case scenario. One would therefore hope for the best but prepare for the worst. It all depends on the day, the only guarantee is that if you arrive on time you will be seen on that day.

There is a snack bar in the corner that sells drinks and well snacks this should be sufficient for your sugar levels, maybe not your wallet though.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I understand that regarding wait times... I was looking more for someone who'd been through the process recently to understand what is expected etc.

I know there are reviews, posts, blogs etc online but many date back to 2008... I'm assuming things change and so was looking for a more updated review/guide.

p.s. thanks for info re snack bar
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

evil-homer is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a interview 4 weeks ago for a b2 visa , not the same visa as you but the process to get in and be seen is the same

You can not take in any phones, keys large bags and you must have all the required paper work in order to enter the building

You will join a line outside of people waiting to go into the security check area ,people will be checking you have the required paperwork before letting you into the security check area this can take 5 to 15 mins , while i was there the vast majority people in this line had paper work missing and were therfore holding people up,

so make sure you have your paper work and have it in a quick to flick through order along with your passport and you could be through this line much quicker then the others

Same when into the security check area , this is like going through security at a airport , again people where trying to bring in things that cant be brought in and so where holding up people behind

My advice is take in with you only the paper work that you need, have it in a quick to flick through folder and you should be fine to be asked past many of the faffing around people in line

once past the security you enter the building and will be given a number and you are then in the sytem waiting so the faster you get past the people faffing around outside and get a number the faster you will be seen , each person you pass is another number up the waiting list when inside , i literally went past 10 or more people outside becasue i was organized so it it well worth it as that is 10 places in front when you have a number

they sell food and drink inside so take some change and some money in with you

once inside all people not matter which visa you are appliying for first wait to be called to the first window , here they will take your paper work and pass it onto the relevant booth for your interview this wait can be around 15 to 20 mins

then depending on which visa you are applying for you wait for your number to be called to the second window , as i was a b2 visa they seem to take the longest of all so i saw a lot of people come and go , some people were in and out in under an hour , student visas seem to be very quick to process

allow yourself plenty of time just in case

There is a pharmacy across the road that will store your phone for £3 , this place is used a lot and gets very busy as all the people that forget paperwork are sent here to use the internet and print stuff
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, that's really helpful