Is marriage my only option?

Old Oct 10th 2019, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

BenC123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is marriage my only option?

Hello everyone, any help would be great.

I an a UK citizen and hold a British passport. I studied in the US for 4.5 years and completed OPT for one year, I achieved my Bachelor's degree from a US university in 2016. I want to relocate to the US long term but everywhere I have looked points towards getting married. My degree is in Education and I have previously been an English teacher in China. During my time in the US, I never got into any trouble and always stayed on top of visa's, etc. I do have a partner currently, who is a US citizen, who wants me to relocate, but marriage is not an option at this time. In the next year, I will be studying for my Master's degree, not in the US, does this improve my chances?

Any tips or advice would be great.

Thank you.

Last edited by BenC123; Oct 10th 2019 at 11:30 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is marriage my only option?

Marriage is your easiest option.

You are otherwise likely confined to hoping to get a job that'll sponsor you for an H1-B (possible if you go further into research academia rather than teaching?), or joining a multi-national with U.S. offices in the UK, and hoping for an international transfer that gives you an L visa. Neither are easy paths.

I would recommend you read through Pulaski's Ways: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

The advice you will get here is almost certainly going to be: get married, save yourself a headache.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 11:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above.

Your profession is not one that generally means an easy path to a visa to live and work in the US. While I understand not wanting to get married, it is by the easiest (and perhaps only) route for you to be able to live on the same continent as your other half.

You could of course pursue a US based Masters and get an F1, but this is going to cost $$$ and will land you back in the same situation at the end of it.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies guys, that is what I expected. It's frustrating as I spent so many years in the US and was educated in the US and never did any wrong. If only it was as easy as other countries for UK citizens I know my profession is not the most desired so it will be difficult for me.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenC123
Thank you for the replies guys, that is what I expected. It's frustrating as I spent so many years in the US and was educated in the US and never did any wrong. If only it was as easy as other countries for UK citizens I know my profession is not the most desired so it will be difficult for me.

Thanks again.
I would consider changing your attitude towards this effort as you continue to work towards some form of legal residency. UKCs have it pretty good as far as it goes when it comes to US Immigration. We do not get the same relentless scrutiny that some nations get, and our timelines for greencard allocations are much shorter than many other nations. The only aspect where we lose out is the Diversity Visa, which represents an extraordinarily low chance of success anyway, and we do not really satisfy the spirit of what the DV is about. Any form of entitlement, or expectation, or feeling of right to be in the U.S. is fundamentally against how most of the visa processes work, and essentially everyone who goes through residency acquisition outside of marriage has a pretty mentally taxing experience, and probably the majority of those who marry do too. You'd be helping yourself by accepting the mindset that it's hard work and a right that has to be earned rather than something that ought to be owed.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 5:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

probably the majority of those who marry do too.
You're not kidding. About $5k, three separate applications, 3 sets of fingerprints, 2 interviews and a medical later.

Oh and a divorce. Don't forget that one too.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I would consider changing your attitude towards this effort as you continue to work towards some form of legal residency. UKCs have it pretty good as far as it goes when it comes to US Immigration. We do not get the same relentless scrutiny that some nations get, and our timelines for greencard allocations are much shorter than many other nations. The only aspect where we lose out is the Diversity Visa, which represents an extraordinarily low chance of success anyway, and we do not really satisfy the spirit of what the DV is about. Any form of entitlement, or expectation, or feeling of right to be in the U.S. is fundamentally against how most of the visa processes work, and essentially everyone who goes through residency acquisition outside of marriage has a pretty mentally taxing experience, and probably the majority of those who marry do too. You'd be helping yourself by accepting the mindset that it's hard work and a right that has to be earned rather than something that ought to be owed.
Wow, that is really what you got from my post? Your judgement is very wrong. I am in shock at your response.

Thank you for the comments.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage, when you are ready.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Marriage, when you are ready.
I appreciate the advice. Thank you very much.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 1:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Marrying for the sake of a visa is not recommended.
why is it an issue?
Old Oct 12th 2019, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow, that is really what you got from my post? Your judgement is very wrong. I am in shock at your response.

Thank you for the comments.
I would apologise for ruffling your feathers but I think it's pretty obvious where I interpreted that from. My advice was an effort to help you prepare for the actual process of applying - approaching it with the following in mind is going to make it a harder experience, and possibly quite a risky attitude to go into consular interviews with etc:

It's frustrating as I spent so many years in the US and was educated in the US and never did any wrong.
If only it was as easy as other countries for UK citizens
My thoughts on these statements aren't appropriate for this forum, but hopefully that sheds some light on the perspective I've taken from your choice of words.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Marrying for the sake of a visa is not recommended.
why is it an issue?
It is the recommended - only - option if you are in a bona fide relationship and love that person.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I would apologise for ruffling your feathers but I think it's pretty obvious where I interpreted that from. My advice was an effort to help you prepare for the actual process of applying - approaching it with the following in mind is going to make it a harder experience, and possibly quite a risky attitude to go into consular interviews with etc:

My thoughts on these statements aren't appropriate for this forum, but hopefully that sheds some light on the perspective I've taken from your choice of words.
Thank you, I appreciate your truthful advice, I really do.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
It is the recommended - only - option if you are in a bona fide relationship and love that person.
Not for this OP though....he has already said it is NOT an option......
Old Oct 12th 2019, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a partner currently, who is a US citizen, who wants me to relocate, but marriage is not an option at this time. In the next year, I will be studying for my Master's degree, not in the US, does this improve my chances?
In general, having a Masters degree improves your chances of being sponsored by a US company. However, if it's in the field of teaching, not so much.

My guess is that you'll probably have to continue living separately until marriage becomes an option.

Rene