Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Marc Received Package from Consulate - Question???

Marc Received Package from Consulate - Question???

Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jana is on a distinguished road
Default Marc Received Package from Consulate - Question???

Hi everyone! Marc received his package from the Montreal Consulate. I was under the impression he would get one letter requesting proof of Canadian Citizenship then another letter with the checklist. But he got the checklist and everything. Is this normal?

Jana
Old Apr 1st 2003, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Marc Received Package from Consulate - Question???

Originally posted by Jana
Hi everyone! Marc received his package from the Montreal Consulate. I was under the impression he would get one letter requesting proof of Canadian Citizenship then another letter with the checklist. But he got the checklist and everything. Is this normal?

Jana
Can anyone help me with this?

The letter asks him to return the DS-230 immediately. And then complete his checklist and return that once it is complete.

FYI it is an I-129F Petition for a K1 Visa.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Jana but I don't have a clue about this. Isn't a birth certificate proof of citizenship?

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Apr 1st 2003, 1:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marc Received Package from Consulate - Question???

Can anyone help me with this?

The letter asks him to return the DS-230 immediately. And then complete his checklist and return that once it is complete.

FYI it is an I-129F Petition for a K1 Visa.
I'm afraid I don't see what the problem is. If he has the "bio" (DS-230) completed then return it. If he has both the bio and the checklist completed then return them at the same time ;0) This part of the consulate procedures has not changed since 1998. My Canadian husband returned both at the same time.

You have to remember that in the "olden" days before interneting, people did not have access to government websites where they could d/l the forms and get a jump start on the process. And Montreal would not send out the packet until they received the paperwork from the SC. The procedure was to complete the "bio" first and return it. Then the Consulate would run the FBI name search. While they were doing that, you were running around getting the medical, police clearance, long form birth certificate, etc. so that you could tick off the boxes on the checklist. Once completed, you returned that and waited for your interview. Actually, what am I saying.

As for proof of Canadian citizenship, wasn't aware that you had to do this upfront before anything else. This was accomplished at the time of the interview when you brought your passport and long form birth certificate.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe you are assigned an interview date when you return the checklist, is this right?
Old Apr 1st 2003, 1:51 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jana,

One of the sheets in the packet Cory received from Vancouver lists what items to take to the interview (it's just a short paragraph, I think). I can't remember which sheet it is, as my copy of Cory's items are at home. During Cory's interview, they asked to see his birth certificate. I dont think they would need any proof of his citizenship at this point...that takes place during the interview.

Hope that helps

Juliet
Old Apr 1st 2003, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jcapulet
Hi Jana,

One of the sheets in the packet Cory received from Vancouver lists what items to take to the interview (it's just a short paragraph, I think). I can't remember which sheet it is, as my copy of Cory's items are at home. During Cory's interview, they asked to see his birth certificate. I dont think they would need any proof of his citizenship at this point...that takes place during the interview.

Hope that helps

Juliet

OK...I was unclear. For whatever reason I THOUGHT we had to return proof of Canadian citizenship before they sent out the checklist at all. Obviously I misunderstood what someone had posted before or I got that stuck in my head but can't recall that I read it anywhere.

Anyway, it appears things are moving on as normal. We have everything except the medical done. And Marc has his appointment for the medical on Thursday. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get results back for the medical?

Thanks for the information everyone! I knew I could count on you to straighten my brain out. I am just a bundle of nerves wanting everything to go smoothly.

Jana
Old Apr 1st 2003, 2:22 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the medical examiner Marc goes to. For example, the one in Vancouver gives same day results, but the one Cory went to in Edmonton took a few weeks (and he had to keep calling them). If you or Marc can call the office he has the medical appointment at, they can tell you the turnaround time for the medical results.

I remember going bananas waiting for everything to be done for Cory's visa, it can get stressful at times. Cory got his visa a few weeks ago, and he is flying home to me tomorrow!!!

Juliet
Old Apr 1st 2003, 5:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jcapulet
It depends on the medical examiner Marc goes to.
heheheh, I hope it doesn't come to that...
Old Apr 1st 2003, 6:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

OK...I was unclear. For whatever reason I THOUGHT we had to return proof of Canadian citizenship before they sent out the checklist at all. Obviously I misunderstood what someone had posted before or I got that stuck in my head but can't recall that I read it anywhere.

Anyway, it appears things are moving on as normal. We have everything except the medical done. And Marc has his appointment for the medical on Thursday. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get results back for the medical?

Thanks for the information everyone! I knew I could count on you to straighten my brain out. I am just a bundle of nerves wanting everything to go smoothly.

Jana

If Marc is using Dr. Stewart's office in Ottawa, it takes from 3 to 5 days for the results. Unless, of course, her office has changed in the last year.

Rete

PS be sure that Marc gets a copy of the vaccination report/supplement of the one that is placed in the envelope for the US Consulate. He will require this later for his AOS. At least it will be invaluable if he has to go for another I-693 supplement.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
If Marc is using Dr. Stewart's office in Ottawa, it takes from 3 to 5 days for the results. Unless, of course, her office has changed in the last year.

Rete

PS be sure that Marc gets a copy of the vaccination report/supplement of the one that is placed in the envelope for the US Consulate. He will require this later for his AOS. At least it will be invaluable if he has to go for another I-693 supplement.

He lives in Montreal now so he is going to to one of those doctors. I just called the office and she said it is usually returned within 48 hours. So he will probably get his results Monday. Thanks for the note though on the vaccine record.

Jana