Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Lottery & applying for tourist visa

Lottery & applying for tourist visa

Old Sep 24th 2001, 2:08 am
R

If I apply to greencard lottery, will that affect my chances for getting a
tourist visa?

Old Sep 24th 2001, 2:32 am
Melinda Mackenzie

>
    >

No.

Old Sep 24th 2001, 11:05 am
Alexander

BTW, OF-156 has a question: "Did you ever apply for Visa Lottery?" If to say "Yes" -
you'll get refusal of Tourist Visa. If to say "No" - you'll get refusal of "DV" visa
if you win a lottery, because you lied before. Maybe I'm wrong? Tell, please, who
have experience.

[usenetquote2]> > If I apply to greencard lottery, will that affect my chances for getting a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > tourist visa?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 2:29 pm
Mark Carroll

>
(snip)

When and where was this? It's not on any OF-156 I've ever seen.

-- Mark

Old Sep 24th 2001, 3:24 pm
Joachim Feise

Melinda Mackenzie wrote:
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If I apply to greencard lottery, will that affect my chances for getting a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > tourist visa?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

It may. AFAIK, there is a question on the form for non-immigrant visas which asks if
you have participated in the GC lottery.

-Joe

Old Sep 25th 2001, 3:07 am
A. A.

well, not on the forms here in hong kong. but it does asks did you even intend to
immigrate to usa. but the participation in GC lottery does not include in this.

--
--
Please note that my e-mail address [email protected] would be discontinued. You
are requested to send e-mails at my new address [email protected]

Please update your addressbooks, thanks.

>
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If I apply to greencard lottery, will that affect my chances for getting a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > tourist visa?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > No.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 6:33 am
Alexander

This question is absent in old OF-156 in most national languages (E.g. in Russian is
really absent), but it's present in newest OF-156 in English. You can download it
from www.travel.state.gov or other official WEB-sites. It's question 26a. Read it
attentively.

IMHO "Green Card" lottery is specially to find all people with immigration intentions
and then to refuse all their non-immigrant visas.

Alexander

[usenetquote2]> >BTW, OF-156 has a question: "Did you ever apply for Visa Lottery?" If to[/usenetquote2]
say
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 7:55 am
Melinda Mackenzie

>
    >

That's not true. I have applied for the green card lottery twice in the past, didn't
win, and have had no problems whatsoever getting a B2, a 6 month extention on the B2,
and an L2B visa.

Old Sep 25th 2001, 10:29 am
Mattias Larsson

[usenetquote2]> > > If I apply to greencard lottery, will that affect my chances for getting a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > tourist visa?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > No.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

I applied for a non-immigrant visa just two weeks ago. There is a question on the
OF-156 that asks if you have ever expressed intention to immigrate to the US, or if
you have entered a visa lottery. I responded Yes to this question, but I wrote
"visa lottery" next to the answer, to make sure they knew it was visa lottery..
Visa was granted.

So, answering yes to that question does not automatically disqualify you, I'm not
sure wether or not it might have an impact in the overall evaluation though.

/dml

Old Sep 25th 2001, 11:10 am
Alexander

What country do you live in? And what country did you apply for your non-immigrant
visa? In the Ukraine the answer "Yes" for this question automatically leads to
refusal. Moreover we have more than 90% refusals of non-immigrant visa by p.214b
without any explanations. The consular officer gives a standard refusal letter from
thick package of such letters made as photocopies. Any questions such as: "Why?"
are declined.

Alexander Ukraine

[usenetquote2]> > It may. AFAIK, there is a question on the form for non-immigrant visas which asks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > if you have participated in the GC lottery. I applied for a non-immigrant visa[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > just two weeks ago. There is a[/usenetquote2]
question
    >
to
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 1:13 pm
Mark Carroll

>
    >
    >
(snip)

Where? I don't see a link to it - www.travel.state.gov says "Please check back" when
I get to it!

>

The English one at http://www.amembassy.lu/of156e.pdf doesn't have a question 26a. It
does have an "Additional Question" after the photo, about if you're a terrorist or
not, which I don't think I've seen before.

I'm tempted to believe you, but I would indeed be interested to be referred to one of
these official WEB-sites that you know of that shows the newest OF-156 so I can see
what it looks like.

-- Mark

Old Sep 25th 2001, 2:43 pm
Mattias Larsson

Look at this one:

http://www.visalaw.com/forms/of-156.pdf

Even though they layout is not exactly the same, the formulation is the same as on
the OF-156 I received from the Embassy in London just a few weeks ago.

/dml

>
[usenetquote2]> >This question is absent in old OF-156 in most national languages (E.g. in Russian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >is really absent), but it's present in newest OF-156 in English.[/usenetquote2]
You
[usenetquote2]> >can download it from www.travel.state.gov or other official WEB-sites.[/usenetquote2]
It's
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >question 26a. Read it attentively.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 3:09 pm
Mattias Larsson

I'm a a swedish citizen, but have been living in the UK for the last 2 years. Visa
was applied for at the London embassy. Since the OF-156 clearly asks if you have
entered a visa lottery, I would assume that you would be giving the embassy false
information if you do not mention that you have entered the visa lottery. In the
past, it was a matter of definition wether or not the visa lottery was immigration
intention.

I think it would be prudent to advice anyone that has an interest in ever going to
the US as non-immigrant not to enter the visa lottery (if this question had existed 5
years ago when I entered the DV lottery, I would never have entered). I do think that
the damage made by lying on the OF-156 is greater than the damage done by entering
the visa lottery though (if they found out that is.. which might not be very likely).

I have to admit that I thought long and hard before answering Yes to that
question though.

/dml

>
    >
    >
    >
officer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > It may. AFAIK, there is a question on the form for non-immigrant visas which[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > asks if you have participated in the GC lottery. I applied for a non-immigrant[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > visa just two weeks ago. There is a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > on the OF-156 that asks if you have ever expressed intention to[/usenetquote2]
immigrate
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the US, or if you have entered a visa lottery. I responded Yes to this question,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but I wrote "visa lottery" next to the answer, to make sure[/usenetquote2]
they
[usenetquote2]> > knew it was visa lottery.. Visa was granted.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 3:22 pm
Mark Carroll

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Gosh, yes! Not exactly an "official" site, but I believe you!! Wonder why there are
so many different versions floating around. (-:

-- Mark