Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to the US & need help...

Looking to move to the US & need help...

Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to the US & need help...

Originally Posted by Ray
Specialized knowledge of the company's products or procedures
would be a better description....

Definitely. My knowledge is mainly to do with the company itself...in fact, some of the letter that was used to justify my move didnt even make sense! They got some of the technical terms totally wrong. I doubt anyone even bothered reading it.

I suppose in this global economy there arent that many jobs where a company could reasonably claim that it was impossible to find a local to do it.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:46 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I suppose in this global economy there arent that many jobs where a company could reasonably claim that it was impossible to find a local to do it.
It's a game.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:29 am
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Looking to move to the US & need help...

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I moved over here with the company I work for on an L1B, the whole process took just a few months. Green card sponsorship would be tricky for me though as my visa is the 'skilled worker' category, hence the 'b', so it will take YEARS. If you are an exec or manager they might be able to move you on an L1A, then the process to get a green card is a lot smoother and quicker. Getting sponsored by your brothers company sounds like a bit of a non-starter to be honest. It's extremely competitive. That class of visa would be an H1B, its very over-subscribed.
PEJPM1, Do you know of anyone who came on a L1B visa and married a US citizen? What was the process for their Adjustment of status?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alix
PEJPM1, Do you know of anyone who came on a L1B visa and married a US citizen? What was the process for their Adjustment of status?
I do, there's one posting here now (well, he might be L-1A).
It's the same process for everyone except Ks, really.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:01 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I did it from an L1B. Just sent all the AOS paperwork off after marriage. Same as any marriage based adjustment. The basis of my L1B was the knowledge of the programming language used by the company which was developed by the company over the last 30 years.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:55 am
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil
I did it from an L1B. Just sent all the AOS paperwork off after marriage. Same as any marriage based adjustment. The basis of my L1B was the knowledge of the programming language used by the company which was developed by the company over the last 30 years.
Neil, Thanks for replying. Can you please confirm what all documents did you need to send? And should all of them be sent together?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:23 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Neil, Thanks for replying. Can you please confirm what all documents did you need to send? And should all of them be sent together?
Yep, everything together - the standard list. I'm sure someone's posted a complete list somewhere on the forum - I paid a lawyer to do it all because I'm lazy when it comes to that sort of thing so I have no real memory of what was included, just remember checking details and signing forms. It actually worked out well doing it this way as for some reason they received some notices that I did not and vice-versa.

Might be worth starting here:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD