Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to the US & need help...

Looking to move to the US & need help...

Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Blackley74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to the US & need help...

I have a brother who is a US citizen living near San Francisco. I have just applied for permanent residency and filed the I-130 form in Chicago. I have just got the acknowledgement back and checked the waiting times for the Calfiornia fegion for my type of application. It says it could take 7 years.

Does it really take this long? Is there any way of fast tracking the application?

Does anybody know somebody who has moved to the States through a brother or sister?

Alternatively, I work for a multinational company who have an office in SF. I have not asked them yet for a transfer, but was wondering if anybody has gone down this particular route and wondered about the cost and timescales etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to the US & need help...

Originally Posted by Blackley74
a) I have just applied for permanent residency and filed the I-130 form in Chicago.

b) I have just got the acknowledgement back and checked the waiting times for the Calfiornia fegion for my type of application. It says it could take 7 years. Does it really take this long?

c) Is there any way of fast tracking the application?

d) Alternatively, I work for a multinational company who have an office in SF. I have not asked them yet for a transfer, but was wondering if anybody has gone down this particular route and wondered about the cost and timescales etc.
a) I presume you meant that your brother filed the I-130. You can't file one for anyone as you aren't a US Citizen or LPR.

b) Yes

c) No

d) That could potentially be a lot faster. If you seriously want to get into the USA as soon as poss, I'd forget about your brother sponsoring you and look at the company transfer idea. Lots of people do it, it's discussed on this forum all the time, do a search and you'll find threads on it.

If you do go down this route, you'd want to specify as part of the transfer that the company sponsors you for your green card, otherwise when you lose your job, you're outa there.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It says it could take 7 years.
Could take any length of time. But they're currently processing from 01SEP97 in this category (unless you were born in China, India, Mexico or the Philippines).
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have a brother who is a US citizen living near San Francisco. I have just applied for permanent residency and filed the I-130 form in Chicago. I have just got the acknowledgement back and checked the waiting times for the Calfiornia fegion for my type of application. It says it could take 7 years.

Does it really take this long? Is there any way of fast tracking the application?

Does anybody know somebody who has moved to the States through a brother or sister?

Alternatively, I work for a multinational company who have an office in SF. I have not asked them yet for a transfer, but was wondering if anybody has gone down this particular route and wondered about the cost and timescales etc.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, Friends of ours from UK who have their US citizenship and have two daughters here in AZ have sponsered their son and his wife and two kids.It has taken nearly nine years and they have just been accepted.They are moving over shortly.This might give you an insight as to what to expect.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Do a search in this forum for L1 visa. That should give you lots of information about the intracompany transfer option.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to my taking the route to a GC that I'm on now, my sister filed a petition for us, it's 10 years and counting so far!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes. It took about that long.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

A friends brother arrived in the US last year....
13 years to the day after the application was made
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

There is also a possibility of my brother's company sponsoring me. I take it I need the E3 visa. I've had a browse through the other threads, but can anybody tell me:

What are the chances of success going down this route?

How long would it take approximately?

I have no experience in the particular industry where the job offer would come from, although i have a degree, will this affect my chances?

I don't really want to have the company sponsor me and the visa not come through for years, so I could do with as much info as possible.

Also does anybody know what the process and how long the E3 lasts for?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There is also a possibility of my brother's company sponsoring me. I take it I need the E3 visa. I've had a browse through the other threads, but can anybody tell me:

Are you an Australian citizen.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Are you an Australian citizen.
British.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:09 pm
Ray

British.
E-3 is for Dingoes only

For a posting thru your existing employer
Look at L-1 visas

For you brothers company to sponsor look at H1 visa ...
a hard one to get
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over here with the company I work for on an L1B, the whole process took just a few months. Green card sponsorship would be tricky for me though as my visa is the 'skilled worker' category, hence the 'b', so it will take YEARS. If you are an exec or manager they might be able to move you on an L1A, then the process to get a green card is a lot smoother and quicker. Getting sponsored by your brothers company sounds like a bit of a non-starter to be honest. It's extremely competitive. That class of visa would be an H1B, its very over-subscribed.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I moved over here with the company I work for on an L1B, the whole process took just a few months. Green card sponsorship would be tricky for me though as my visa is the 'skilled worker' category, hence the 'b', so it will take YEARS. If you are an exec or manager they might be able to move you on an L1A, then the process to get a green card is a lot smoother and quicker. Getting sponsored by your brothers company sounds like a bit of a non-starter to be honest. It's extremely competitive. That class of visa would be an H1B, its very over-subscribed.
I've read about the L1B visa being workers sith 'specialized knowledge.' Is this simply refering to a skilled worker or something a little more?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:03 pm
Ray

I've read about the L1B visa being workers sith 'specialized knowledge.' Is this simply refering to a skilled worker or something a little more?
Specialized knowledge of the company's products or procedures
would be a better description....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.