londonboy450's E-2 Questions

Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa/green card/work permit questions.

Originally Posted by londonboy450
My parents want to buy another business so it will still be valid.
The E2 is tied to a particular business, is this a new subsidiary?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So my parents have now got their work permits but I am still on E2 Visa. ....
What do you mean by "work permit"? Do you mean green card?

Given that you can't get from an E-2 to a green card without some other significant factor making it possible, if your parents got green cards, it would be interesting to know how.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Usual route would be by the other half getting a job and then being sponsored by that Employer.

Or EB5

Or a child that was born in the US

Or one that married a USC and obtained Citizenship
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So my parents have now got their work permits...
Can you be more specific about what your parents actually have in hand? If they have a valid E-2 visa, they don't need a "work permit" (Employment Authorization Document, or EAD).

Can you provide the exact name of the document you are calling a "work permit"?

Will I be able to apply for a marriage based green card even if I am on an E2.
Yes.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Can you be more specific about what your parents actually have in hand? If they have a valid E-2 visa, they don't need a "work permit" (Employment Authorization Document, or EAD).

Can you provide the exact name of the document you are calling a "work permit"?

Rene
According to CBP, a EAD is requried for my mother to work elsewhere
Old Sep 17th 2013, 4:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So my parents have now got their work permits but I am still on E2 Visa.
According to CBP, a EAD is requried for my mother to work elsewhere
OK, so your mother has an EAD, as she is the dependent E-2 visa holder, correct? So she is allowed to work anywhere she wants. That's fine.

In your post, you mention that BOTH parents have work permits. What is it that your father has in hand?

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2013, 4:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So my parents have now got their work permits...
Please use specific language. I see that your mom has an EAD, what does your dad have? If he has an E2 visa, he doesn't need a "work permit".

My SSN is restricted and my parents think that I can work on an E2 despite telling them I need a work permit or green card
If you have an E2 visa, you can indeed work... as long as you work solely for the E2 company.

Will I be able to apply for a marriage based green card even if I am on an E2.
A moment ago you said marriage wasn't an option.

My parents want to buy another business so it will still be valid.
What is "it"? Please don't use pronouns when you write, because it's never clear what you're referring to!

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: londonboy450's E-2 Questions

My mother has a EAD which as stated allows her to work for any employer and my father is the Principle applicant of the E2 Visa
I am on the E2 as an employee of the company but if my prospective employer petition the USCIS I can work for them.
When i refereed to "it" i meant the current E2 Treaty Investor visa.

Marriage is not an option because my parents want me to find a job first and foremost.

Sorry for any confusion caused by my previous postings.

Last edited by londonboy450; Sep 17th 2013 at 10:35 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:06 am
Account Closed

You have a job, that is how you obtained the E2 visa.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:16 am

My mother has a EAD which as stated allows her to work for any employer and my father is the Principle applicant of the E2 Visa
Your father's visa and your mother's EAD have no bearing on your own visa, except that your father having the business means you can be employed there on your E-2.

I am on the E2 as an employee of the company but if my prospective employer petition the USCIS I can work for them.
Correct.

Marriage is not an option because my parents want me to find a job first and foremost.
Then you need to keep job-hunting.

I'm not sure what you're looking for regarding advice here. You can work for the E-2 business right now. If the E-2 business shuts down, you have no right to stay in the USA and must return home. If you find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work visa, you can go down that route. What else can we say?

Rene