London Medical Examination

Old May 9th 2007, 12:22 am
Just Joined

XXXopherXXX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London Medical Examination

Hi, I've searched through the forums, but don't seem to be able to find a conclusive answer.., so sorry if it's been asked a million times already...

My wife and son are already in the usa and the petition has been approved.

I'm off to London next week for my medical exam, what are they testing for exactly as I had a toke on a small cannabis joint whiilst on a weekend in Amsterdam last weekend, am i stuffed now or is that something they dont test for? any help greatly appreciated,

Chris
Old May 9th 2007, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Medical Examination

I'm surprised you weren't able to find anything, all the stuff as been listed before, loads.

Anyway, they don't do a drug test. They test for AIDS, TB, Hep, that kind of stuff.
Old May 9th 2007, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks a million Bob, that really puts my mind at rest, it's been 8 months waiting so far, be a real shame to have spooged it at the final hurdle
I was sure I'd find it in the forums here, but perhaps it's buried under a different thread title, sorry to have repeated and old chestnut

All the best,

Chris
Old May 9th 2007, 1:48 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XXXopherXXX
Hi, I've searched through the forums, but don't seem to be able to find a conclusive answer.., so sorry if it's been asked a million times already...

My wife and son are already in the usa and the petition has been approved.

I'm off to London next week for my medical exam, what are they testing for exactly as I had a toke on a small cannabis joint whiilst on a weekend in Amsterdam last weekend, am i stuffed now or is that something they dont test for? any help greatly appreciated,

Chris
>I'm off to London next week for my medical exam, what are they testing for exactly as I had a toke on a small cannabis joint whiilst on a weekend in Amsterdam last weekend, am i stuffed now or is that something they dont test for? any help greatly appreciated,

Chris

Why would someone post incriminating things about themselves in a public forum (and by doing so, perhaps archiving it forever on Google)?

Admitted drug use is a potential problem. They also have questions on some of the consular forms relating to drug use (whether or not the Dr. asks about it or finds out about it via a medical exam or test). Are you going to lie if asked about this (whether asked by the Dr. or asked about it on a form)?

Note that I’m not coming at this from some sort of moral high ground. I could care less if anybody in particular smokes pot. But when it comes to those going through the U.S. immigration process, it may likely be relevant to that person’s eligibility to receive a visa.
Old May 9th 2007, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Why would someone post incriminating things about themselves in a public forum (and by doing so, perhaps archiving it forever on Google)?

Admitted drug use is a potential problem. They also have questions on some of the consular forms relating to drug use (whether or not the Dr. asks about it or finds out about it via a medical exam or test). Are you going to lie if asked about this (whether asked by the Dr. or asked about it on a form)?

Note that I’m not coming at this from some sort of moral high ground. I could care less if anybody in particular smokes pot. But when it comes to those going through the U.S. immigration process, it may likely be relevant to that person’s eligibility to receive a visa.
Even when it's legal in Amsterdam, that's hardly a crime.....as to the rest, well yeah, your right if asked, it's a dilemma only the OP can answer.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
>I'm off to London next week for my medical exam, what are they testing for exactly as I had a toke on a small cannabis joint whiilst on a weekend in Amsterdam last weekend, am i stuffed now or is that something they dont test for? any help greatly appreciated,

Chris

Reasonably fair points, but I'm of a persausion and mindsent of 'when in Rome'., for example, Tobacco products freely available in the states are illegal here in the UK, should we stop visas on that basis? Saudi oil production would cease if the law of the country was taken into consideration bearing in mind that alcohol, and any religion other than the Muslim religion is effectively a jailable offence, they would have few, if any qualified engineers.
I'm more than happy to abide by the rules of the country I'm living in, as I said, 'when in Rome' , perhaps with the relaxation of the laws involving pot in the UK, and the legalisation in the NL it may be time for the INS to rethink the cannabis angle... , as for the form, it asks about drug and alcohol dependancy, I don't consider a spliff in Amsterdam would warrant dependancy, so I can truthfully and without guilt answer no to that.
Don't want to turn this into a pro/anti cannabis thread, but at the same time a one off smoke shouldnt be a basis for refusal.

Chris
Old May 9th 2007, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want to turn this into a pro/anti cannabis thread, but at the same time a one off smoke shouldnt be a basis for refusal.
Whether it's legal in Amsterdam really isn't the point... and that you think it "shouldnt be a basis for refusal" also really isn't the point. USCIS will make that determination... and they may or may not give you a hard time because of it. MaryJane stays in your body for up to 6 months, so if the doctor does a blood work up, it will probably show up... and he is then obligated to present those findings in his medical report.

Do *I* think you did anything wrong? No - but that really isn't the point!

Ian
Old May 9th 2007, 5:01 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Reasonably fair points, but I'm of a persausion and mindsent of 'when in Rome'.
Just because it's legal in the NL doesn't mean you have to do it. Cigarettes, cigars and dip are all legal in the US, but I have never used any of those, not even once. It's a personal choice, not an obligation or even an expectation.

I also don't care if you choose to do drugs or not, but you might want to can it until you're done with US immigration, because you just never know what kind of consequences your choice to do drugs might be -- regardless of whether those drugs are legal or not. Just a friendly suggestion.

~ Jenney
Old May 9th 2007, 11:29 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Reasonably fair points, but I'm of a persausion and mindsent of 'when in Rome'.,

I'm more than happy to abide by the rules of the country I'm living in, as I said, 'when in Rome' , perhaps with the relaxation of the laws involving pot in the UK, and the legalisation in the NL it may be time for the INS to rethink the cannabis angle... , as for the form, it asks about drug and alcohol dependancy, I don't consider a spliff in Amsterdam would warrant dependancy, so I can truthfully and without guilt answer no to that.

Chris
I’m not familiar with the laws in the UK concerning marijuana, but if you say they have been relaxed, does that metaphorically make the UK a neighboring village of Rome :-).

Also note that one can have this same sort of problem for alcohol abuse, something that is legally available in most countries.

When you say this is a one off situation, does that mean this was the first and only time you have consumed (just food for thought, no need to reply in public… or privately for that matter). If not, you may have problems (and might be classified as having a drug dependency… and actually, the DS-230 Part 2 form uses the language, “Drug Abuser”).

I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you won’t lie just to get what you want. Good luck.

[The truth is the truth, the truth just is… the truth is “not” a lie that one gets away with].