London Interview

Old Dec 5th 2002, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London Interview

Well, as Julie promised on my behalf (why doesnt that surprise me???) here is the scoop. I am a previously married Brit aged 61, Julie is american and is not aged 61. We met via the net over 2 years ago and have spent a total of about 5 months together since.

Timeline:
27 June K1 Petition, 1st NOA
8 November Approval given
18 November London Embassy give Interview date
5 December Medical and Interview...Visa granted.

Having read so many posts about the day, everything seemd so familiar!
But here goes:
4 December
Travel down to London King's Cross. Attempt to read Private Eye on the train, but constantly distracted by mobile maniacs.(maybe I was otherwise distracted too, in fairness.) Why do some people stay permanently on their cellphone during a long train journey? What on earth used they to do before cell phones became so common? (end of RANT)
Take the Tube to Oxford Circus and walk to my hotel, the Radisson Savoy that (I think) Patrick recommended. (Hope the commisssion reached him). Treat myself to an Indian meal before turning in. Obsessively check my documents, though what the hell I could do about it at this stage is a moot point! Julie phones. Encouraging words, gloss over the endearments. Turn in.

5 December
6.30 a.m. Phone rings, hotel alarm call.....alarm clock goes off.........one minute later, Julie rings. How careful is that? Julie says "Get your ass out of bed, man" (Dont you just love the courtly language?) More encouragement (and a few more endearments as well). Then."Remember, just answer the damn questions...no ranting!" (For example of "Rant" see cellphones on trains above)
Decide a cup of coffee is in order since a stiff brandy is out of the question. Walk down Oxford Street. KFC......closed: Pret a porter..........closed: Macdonalds.......CLOSED (Lazy buggers these Londoners). Find a grocery store, make do with a fruit juice and a newspaper. (Yes, it WAS the Daily Telegraph....i am 61 after all)

Stroll down to Dr Phelan's. Patrick was quite right, only 10 minutes or less from the hotel. Its 7.15 and, unsurprisingly, I am first there. (Have you noticed that is a common theme from all who post here? Obsessive?.............us?) Doors open at 8, line of about 16. Give name at the desk and wait where directed. Pretend to read the newspaper, cool huh? Receptionist comes in and asks for medical record, passport and MONEY. Wait again. Name called, go downstairs clucching green folder from receptionist. Fail to put the folder in the holder provided precisely for this purpose. Previous arrival points this out, and I watch with a certain relief as everyone else arrives and also fails to find the correct slot.
Nurse calls me in. Very pleasant, takes some blood, painlessly i am happy to report. Checks name on vial and off to the shabby waiting room again. (the theme of the day is WAITING) Jolly xray man comes to fetch 3 of us. I know its the xray man because of the descriptions on this site..lol. Strip to the waist in a tiny cubicle, then called by Irish Lady doctor who checks medical record, heart,stomach, tests for hernia then gives eye test. "What is the lowest line you can read?"...."Well, actually,.............NONE!" Smiles a trifle wearily and ushers me out. X ray next, very quick. Get dressed and xray man gives me a rolled up xray. "you will need this for entry to the USA".

Interview
scamper off to the Embassy. Takes just over 10 minutes. Show my appointment letter to the guard outside the Embassy together with passport. Go to the back of the Embassy and enter the Immigrant Visa door. Cheery security guard takes my cell phone and gives me a tag. Go throught the security screening and up to the famous door on the right. Hand my appointment letter in at cubicle 1. Wait.

After about 15 minutes called up to a cubicle and asked for documentation. Receipt, birth cert, passport, police cert, marriage cert and divorce cert. Copies and originals taken. Officer says, "Oh by the way we have had the Police cert from Hongkong direct, so dont worry".

Sit down and wait.

Called up to another cubicle. Different officer hefts the package of information, presumably the one that was supplied by Julie, and grins..."We charge by the pound you know" Asks:
How did you meet................Internet chat room
Who made the first move?........Nonplussed Brit.....surely he cant mean.......................
Adds hastily "I mean did you go over there or did she come here?...
I went to the usa and have been back a few times since.
Has she been to UK?.....Yes, in June.
So you have met all her friends etc then?..........Yes
"OK, take a seat or go get get a coffee somewhere if you like. Should be able to finalise at 12.30 ish."

Slip outside and puff furiously on two cigarettes...(successively that is, not simultaneously)

Go back in. Speak to another K1 who tells me his plan is to honeymoon in Jamaica and bring his new wife back to the UK for a visit next year. "Where are you applying for Advance Parole?" "Whats that then?" Watch as horror spreads across his face. Good deed for the day, huh? Spoil a guy's honeymoon plans!

Called up at 12.20. Here is your visa, here is a sealed envelope that you will need at the POE. Good luck for the future. OMG

Exit left
hurtle out of the Embassy, find a telephone box and ring Julie (its 6.30 am there). Julie perforates my other eardrum, the one she didnt perforate when I told her I had an interview date. So now the good old USA has a new addition.......a semi blind semi deaf pensioner.
Realise I havent collected my cellphone. (add memory loss to above frailties) Go back and collect. "Am I the first one today"........"Yup..so far"
And that was it!

For all of you waiting still out there, you will breeze it. I didnt believe it either, but for such a potentially fraught day it was almost pleasant. And that is due to the humorous, courteous and understanding treatment afforded to all of by everyone at the Embassy (and even at the Doc's too).

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes..............17 December, here I come. Too late now Julie...............lol
Old Dec 5th 2002, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsstrickland is an unknown quantity at this point

congratulations, and good luck to you and your pending wife, have a very happy christmas
Old Dec 5th 2002, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

hmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations to both of you! What wonderful news right before Christmas.

Best luck in your future.

Heather
Old Dec 5th 2002, 4:12 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London Interview

Originally posted by abba48uk

Yeah, baby!!!!!! Knew you'd do it!!!! I'll read your post in detail a little later, abba. I can't concentrate right now, as I just found out we were approved yesterday!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just wanted to see that you got it, and to offer my congrats!!!
Kate. xxxxxx
Old Dec 5th 2002, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hi there,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! and thank you for the humorous account of the day. Best wishes to you both and welcome to the states

Kat
Old Dec 5th 2002, 4:59 pm
Ronald Austin

Congrats! What a grand Christmas present!!

Ron

Old Dec 5th 2002, 5:56 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another good write up, this NG is becoming a bastion of exquisite writing! Isn't the lift terrific in the Savoy Court? That was my favourite bit of the hotel (except the big breakfast).

Well done and best of luck

Patrick
Old Dec 5th 2002, 6:52 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read it!! With all the great accounts you'll all given for dealings with London, I'm almost dizzy with excitement now that the worst part's out the way!!!! Where's my Union Jack, I feel so patriotic!! (Wipes away a small tear, although technically, the consulate has more to do with the US!!! )
Here's hoping everyone gets what they want for Christmas too!
Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Dec 5th 2002, 9:14 pm
Scarlett

great read, thanks for posting. i really enjoyed hearing your story.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Dec 5th 2002, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

lil_tone76 will become famous soon enough

Congratulations!!!! It must feel like heaven.
My interview is next wednesday(dec 11) and I have my final exam the following day. I live in Toronto and the interview is in Montreal(5-6 hours away from TO)....aurgh!!!! :P

Originally posted by abba48uk
Well, as Julie promised on my behalf (why doesnt that surprise me???) here is the scoop. I am a previously married Brit aged 61, Julie is american and is not aged 61. We met via the net over 2 years ago and have spent a total of about 5 months together since.

Timeline:
27 June K1 Petition, 1st NOA
8 November Approval given
18 November London Embassy give Interview date

Having read so many posts about the day, everything seemd so familiar!
But here goes:
4 December
Travel down to London King's Cross. Attempt to read Private Eye on the train, but constantly distracted by mobile maniacs.(maybe I was otherwise distracted too, in fairness.) Why do some people stay permanently on their cellphone during a long train journey? What on earth used they to do before cell phones became so common? (end of RANT)
Take the Tube to Oxford Circus and walk to my hotel, the Radisson Savoy that (I think) Patrick recommended. (Hope the commisssion reached him). Treat myself to an Indian meal before turning in. Obsessively check my documents, though what the hell I could do about it at this stage is a moot point! Julie phones. Encouraging words, gloss over the endearments. Turn in.

5 December
6.30 a.m. Phone rings, hotel alarm call.....alarm clock goes off.........one minute later, Julie rings. How careful is that? Julie says "Get your ass out of bed, man" (Dont you just love the courtly language?) More encouragement (and a few more endearments as well). Then."Remember, just answer the damn questions...no ranting!" (For example of "Rant" see cellphones on trains above)
Decide a cup of coffee is in order since a stiff brandy is out of the question. Walk down Oxford Street. KFC......closed: Pret a porter..........closed: Macdonalds.......CLOSED (Lazy buggers these Londoners). Find a grocery store, make do with a fruit juice and a newspaper. (Yes, it WAS the Daily Telegraph....i am 61 after all)

Stroll down to Dr Phelan's. Patrick was quite right, only 10 minutes or less from the hotel. Its 7.15 and, unsurprisingly, I am first there. (Have you noticed that is a common theme from all who post here? Obsessive?.............us?) Doors open at 8, line of about 16. Give name at the desk and wait where directed. Pretend to read the newspaper, cool huh? Receptionist comes in and asks for medical record, passport and MONEY. Wait again. Name called, go downstairs clucching green folder from receptionist. Fail to put the folder in the holder provided precisely for this purpose. Previous arrival points this out, and I watch with a certain relief as everyone else arrives and also fails to find the correct slot.
Nurse calls me in. Very pleasant, takes some blood, painlessly i am happy to report. Checks name on vial and off to the shabby waiting room again. (the theme of the day is WAITING) Jolly xray man comes to fetch 3 of us. I know its the xray man because of the descriptions on this site..lol. Strip to the waist in a tiny cubicle, then called by Irish Lady doctor who checks medical record, heart,stomach, tests for hernia then gives eye test. "What is the lowest line you can read?"...."Well, actually,.............NONE!" Smiles a trifle wearily and ushers me out. X ray next, very quick. Get dressed and xray man gives me a rolled up xray. "you will need this for entry to the USA".

Interview
scamper off to the Embassy. Takes just over 10 minutes. Show my appointment letter to the guard outside the Embassy together with passport. Go to the back of the Embassy and enter the Immigrant Visa door. Cheery security guard takes my cell phone and gives me a tag. Go throught the security screening and up to the famous door on the right. Hand my appointment letter in at cubicle 1. Wait.

After about 15 minutes called up to a cubicle and asked for documentation. Receipt, birth cert, passport, police cert, marriage cert and divorce cert. Copies and originals taken. Officer says, "Oh by the way we have had the Police cert from Hongkong direct, so dont worry".

Sit down and wait.

Called up to another cubicle. Different officer hefts the package of information, presumably the one that was supplied by Julie, and grins..."We charge by the pound you know" Asks:
How did you meet................Internet chat room
Who made the first move?........Nonplussed Brit.....surely he cant mean.......................
Adds hastily "I mean did you go over there or did she come here?...
I went to the usa and have been back a few times since.
Has she been to UK?.....Yes, in June.
So you have met all her friends etc then?..........Yes
"OK, take a seat or go get get a coffee somewhere if you like. Should be able to finalise at 12.30 ish."

Slip outside and puff furiously on two cigarettes...(successively that is, not simultaneously)

Go back in. Speak to another K1 who tells me his plan is to honeymoon in Jamaica and bring his new wife back to the UK for a visit next year. "Where are you applying for Advance Parole?" "Whats that then?" Watch as horror spreads across his face. Good deed for the day, huh? Spoil a guy's honeymoon plans!

Called up at 12.20. Here is your visa, here is a sealed envelope that you will need at the POE. Good luck for the future. OMG

Exit left
hurtle out of the Embassy, find a telephone box and ring Julie (its 6.30 am there). Julie perforates my other eardrum, the one she didnt perforate when I told her I had an interview date. So now the good old USA has a new addition.......a semi blind semi deaf pensioner.
Realise I havent collected my cellphone. (add memory loss to above frailties) Go back and collect. "Am I the first one today"........"Yup..so far"
And that was it!

For all of you waiting still out there, you will breeze it. I didnt believe it either, but for such a potentially fraught day it was almost pleasant. And that is due to the humorous, courteous and understanding treatment afforded to all of by everyone at the Embassy (and even at the Doc's too).

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes..............17 December, here I come. Too late now Julie...............lol
Old Dec 5th 2002, 11:50 pm
Nic
Forum Regular

Nic is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats and best wishes on your impending nuptials and life together!
Old Dec 6th 2002, 1:33 am
Denis Barlow

Congratulations and thanks for an entertaining account.

It's amazing how everyone stresses out about the Visa interview in
London and then have a relatively enjoyable day. I had my interview at
the end of October 2001 and today is the first anniversary of my
arrival here in Phoenix, AZ.

There are things I miss about the UK but even taking those into
account moving to Arizona was the best thing I ever did. I love the
way of life here and even more I love the weather!

Denis

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:00:51 +0000, abba48uk
wrote:

>Well, as Julie promised on my behalf (why doesnt that surprise me???)
    >here is the scoop. I am a previously married Brit aged 61, Julie is
    >american and is not aged 61. We met via the net over 2 years ago and
    >have spent a total of about 5 months together since.
    >Timeline:
    >27 June K1 Petition, 1st NOA
    >8 November Approval given
    >18 November London Embassy give Interview date
    >5 December Medical and Interview...Visa granted.
    >Having read so many posts about the day, everything seemd so familiar!
    >But here goes:
    >4 December
    > Travel down to London King's Cross. Attempt to read Private Eye
    > on the train, but constantly distracted by mobile maniacs.(maybe I
    > was otherwise distracted too, in fairness.) Why do some people
    > stay permanently on their cellphone during a long train journey?
    > What on earth used they to do before cell phones became so common?
    > (end of RANT)
    >Take the Tube to Oxford Circus and walk to my hotel, the Radisson Savoy
    >that (I think) Patrick recommended. (Hope the commisssion reached
    >him). Treat myself to an Indian meal before turning in. Obsessively
    >check my documents, though what the hell I could do about it at this
    >stage is a moot point! Julie phones. Encouraging words, gloss over
    >the endearments. Turn in.
    >5 December
    >6.30 a.m. Phone rings, hotel alarm call.....alarm clock goes
    > off.........one minute later, Julie rings. How careful is that?
    > Julie says "Get your ass out of bed, man" (Dont you just love the
    > courtly language?) More encouragement (and a few more endearments as
    > well). Then."Remember, just answer the damn questions...no ranting!"
    > (For example of "Rant" see cellphones on trains above)
    >Decide a cup of coffee is in order since a stiff brandy is out of the
    >question. Walk down Oxford Street. KFC......closed: Pret a
    >porter..........closed: Macdonalds.......CLOSED (Lazy buggers these
    >Londoners). Find a grocery store, make do with a fruit juice and a
    >newspaper. (Yes, it WAS the Daily Telegraph....i am 61 after all)
    >Stroll down to Dr Phelan's. Patrick was quite right, only 10 minutes
    >or less from the hotel. Its 7.15 and, unsurprisingly, I am first
    >there. (Have you noticed that is a common theme from all who post
    >here? Obsessive?.............us?) Doors open at 8, line of about 16.
    >Give name at the desk and wait where directed. Pretend to read the
    >newspaper, cool huh? Receptionist comes in and asks for medical
    >record, passport and MONEY. Wait again. Name called, go downstairs
    >clucching green folder from receptionist. Fail to put the folder in
    >the holder provided precisely for this purpose. Previous arrival
    >points this out, and I watch with a certain relief as everyone else
    >arrives and also fails to find the correct slot.
    >Nurse calls me in. Very pleasant, takes some blood, painlessly i am
    >happy to report. Checks name on vial and off to the shabby waiting
    >room again. (the theme of the day is WAITING) Jolly xray man comes
    >to fetch 3 of us. I know its the xray man because of the descriptions
    >on this site..lol. Strip to the waist in a tiny cubicle, then called
    >by Irish Lady doctor who checks medical record, heart,stomach, tests for
    >hernia then gives eye test. "What is the lowest line you can
    >read?"...."Well, actually,.............NONE!" Smiles a trifle wearily
    >and ushers me out. X ray next, very quick. Get dressed and xray man
    >gives me a rolled up xray. "you will need this for entry to the USA".
    >Interview
    >scamper off to the Embassy. Takes just over 10 minutes. Show my
    >appointment letter to the guard outside the Embassy together with
    >passport. Go to the back of the Embassy and enter the Immigrant Visa
    >door. Cheery security guard takes my cell phone and gives me a tag.
    >Go throught the security screening and up to the famous door on the
    >right. Hand my appointment letter in at cubicle 1. Wait.
    >After about 15 minutes called up to a cubicle and asked for
    >documentation. Receipt, birth cert, passport, police cert, marriage
    >cert and divorce cert. Copies and originals taken. Officer says,
    >"Oh by the way we have had the Police cert from Hongkong direct, so
    >dont worry".
    >Sit down and wait.
    >Called up to another cubicle. Different officer hefts the package of
    >information, presumably the one that was supplied by Julie, and
    >grins..."We charge by the pound you know" Asks:
    >How did you meet................Internet chat room
    >Who made the first move?........Nonplussed Brit.....surely he cant
    >mean.......................
    >Adds hastily "I mean did you go over there or did she come here?...
    >I went to the usa and have been back a few times since.
    >Has she been to UK?.....Yes, in June.
    >So you have met all her friends etc then?..........Yes
    >"OK, take a seat or go get get a coffee somewhere if you like. Should
    >be able to finalise at 12.30 ish."
    >Slip outside and puff furiously on two cigarettes...(successively that
    >is, not simultaneously)
    >Go back in. Speak to another K1 who tells me his plan is to honeymoon
    >in Jamaica and bring his new wife back to the UK for a visit next year.
    >"Where are you applying for Advance Parole?" "Whats that then?"
    >Watch as horror spreads across his face. Good deed for the day, huh?
    >Spoil a guy's honeymoon plans!
    >Called up at 12.20. Here is your visa, here is a sealed envelope that
    >you will need at the POE. Good luck for the future. OMG
    >Exit left
    >hurtle out of the Embassy, find a telephone box and ring Julie (its 6.30
    >am there). Julie perforates my other eardrum, the one she didnt
    >perforate when I told her I had an interview date. So now the good old
    >USA has a new addition.......a semi blind semi deaf pensioner.
    >Realise I havent collected my cellphone. (add memory loss to above
    >frailties) Go back and collect. "Am I the first one
    >today"........"Yup..so far"
    > And that was it!
    >For all of you waiting still out there, you will breeze it. I didnt
    >believe it either, but for such a potentially fraught day it was almost
    >pleasant. And that is due to the humorous, courteous and understanding
    >treatment afforded to all of by everyone at the Embassy (and even at the
    >Doc's too).
    >Thanks to everyone for their good wishes..............17 December, here
    >I come. Too late now Julie...............lol

Denis

I thought that I could see the light at the end of the
tunnel - But it was just some asshole with a flashlight
bringing me more work!

Old Dec 6th 2002, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.......may you all have little ones.....(waits that is)
Old Dec 6th 2002, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, congratulations on the success at the Interview, I am now actually looking forward to going now.

Have a wonderful Christmas and keep us posted on the next episode of the move,

Rob