letter or intent ?

Old Feb 18th 2001, 11:34 am
mike muncy

I sent in my I-129f package with only a cover sheet. In it I explained how we met and our
intentions to marry. I didn't know or see in the instructions anything mentioning a letter
of intent from both of us. Is this a new requirement ? or one that I missed and will have
to deal with later ? Our first NOA is December 13.

thanks y'all ! mike

Old Feb 18th 2001, 9:19 pm
Randy & Laura

Hi, Mike. I was asked about a letter of intent at the visa interview, but not before.
Actually I don't think it's a requirement, but it's better to have more than you need than
not enough. I wouldn't have even known that I might have needed the letter of intent if
not for Alvena in this newsgroup. Thanks Alvena. I just had Laura fax a letter of intent
to me (it wasn't notarized or anything like that), and it seemed to be what the consulate
wanted (Vancouver, BC, Canada). I was in Canada at the time. Best wishes.

Randy

mike muncy wrote:

> I sent in my I-129f package with only a cover sheet. In it I explained how we met and
> our intentions to marry. I didn't know or see in the instructions anything mentioning a
> letter of intent from both of us. Is this a new requirement ? or one that I missed and
> will have to deal with later ? Our first NOA is December 13.
>
> thanks y'all ! mike

Old Feb 18th 2001, 9:52 pm
Onigiri

> I sent in my I-129f package with only a cover sheet. In it I explained how we met and
> our intentions to marry. I didn't know or see in the
Why do you now suspect something had changed ? Did you learn about the revised new form
for I-129F petition? If you have not seen and read the K1-Frequently Asked Questions, go
to www.k1faq.com

> instructions anything mentioning a letter of intent from both of us. Is this a new
> requirement ? or one that I missed and will have to deal with later ? Our first NOA is
> December 13.

From which INS center ?

> thanks y'all ! mike

Old Feb 19th 2001, 2:51 am
James McCartney

in message

> >
> > I sent in my I-129f package with only a cover sheet. In it I explained how we met and
> > our intentions to marry. I didn't know or see in the
> Why do you now suspect something had changed ? Did you learn about the revised new form
> for I-129F petition? If you have not seen and read the K1-Frequently Asked Questions, go
> to www.k1faq.com

There does seem to be some new requirement. I have two copies of the 129F form which I
downloaded several months apart. Under the section entitled "What documents do you need to
prove you can legally marry." the old form had two subheads A and B which state the age
requirement and proof of termination of previous marriage. The newer I-129F has C and D
sub heads. C says you must submit proof of the relationship. That was just saying
explicitly what everyone who has read the FAQ knows. The D section says you and the
fiancee must submit evidence intent to marry.

"D. Original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days
of his/her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your
mutual intent."

Now several people interpret this as meaning you need letters of intent. But if I read
this literally it seems you only need evidence of intent. Which means that perhaps copies
of letters or emails to each other discussing marriage may be sufficient. Those are
original statements are they not? Anyone know for sure??

Old Feb 19th 2001, 1:00 pm
Rete

My interpretation would be to include copies of any contracts you have signed that pertain
to the wedding itself. This would be contracts for the rental of the reception hall, the
church, photographer, etc.

Personal letters and/or emails would be included under establishment of relationship, at
least IMHO.

Rita

> "D. Original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90
> days of his/her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish
> your mutual intent."
>
> Now several people interpret this as meaning you need letters of intent. But if I read
> this literally it seems you only need evidence of intent. Which means that perhaps
> copies of letters or emails to each other discussing marriage may be sufficient. Those
> are original statements are they not? Anyone know for sure??

Old Feb 19th 2001, 1:23 pm
James McCartney

in message

> > "D. Original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90
> > days of his/her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish
> > your mutual intent."

Old Feb 19th 2001, 5:06 pm
Rita Not Hank\s Wife Wilson

> > > "D. Original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90
> > > days of his/her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to
> > > establish your mutual intent."

They are asking for original statements ans copies of evidence. They are two different
things. One is a statement from the individuals involved and the other is evidence that
the marriage ceremony is being planned. One assumes that both members of the wedding party
are making these plans and not just one.

And yes you can plan a wedding while doing the I-129F. We did, as have several other
people, without a problem. We started the process on March 23, 1998 knowing we had all the
documentation required, completed the applications diligently and with forethought to
possible RFE's, and had the K-1 by mid-June. Our wedding was booked, contracts signed,
flowers ordered, judge assigned, hotel rooms set aside for our guests by the end of April
for a September 26, 1998 wedding.

Rita

----------
This message was composed at http://www.editnews.com

Old Feb 19th 2001, 9:04 pm
Diane M

We're having a "home" wedding, so we didn't have contracts yet, but I included a copy of
our wedding invitation, pictures of him giving me my engagement ring, a printout from Deja
News of his proposal (he formally proposed on the newsgroup on which we met) and my
acceptance, as well as a letter from each of us stating that we intend to marry within 90
days of getting the visa. I figure that if all that doesn't convince them, nothing will.

Diane M.

Rete wrote:

> My interpretation would be to include copies of any contracts you have signed that
> pertain to the wedding itself. This would be contracts for the rental of the reception
> hall, the church, photographer, etc.
>
> Personal letters and/or emails would be included under establishment of relationship, at
> least IMHO.
>
> Rita

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 7:50 am
Parag Mehta

I have send my fiance application which got accepted lately (not approved) containing the
following:

I-129 Biographic Info x 2 Photos x 2 (personal only not together) $95 fees

Just wondering if the following items are needed and when and what does it mean by the
form being accepted (will they ask for more documents).

The application does not have letter of intents, neither does it have the proofs, because
I am under the impression that the I-134, engagement photos together and letters, phone
bills etc, the letter of intent are required to be taken by the fiance at the interview
directly and are not required initially, IS THIS RIGHT?

Thanks.

Regards, Parag [email protected]

Old Feb 24th 2001, 6:14 pm
Grinch

sort out the date on your computer. The post you wrote shows 5/21/01

Grinch

> I have send my fiance application which got accepted lately (not approved) containing
> the following:
>
> I-129 Biographic Info x 2 Photos x 2 (personal only not together) $95 fees
>
> Just wondering if the following items are needed and when and what does it mean by the
> form being accepted (will they ask for more documents).
>
> The application does not have letter of intents, neither does it have the proofs,
> because I am under the impression that the I-134, engagement
photos
> together and letters, phone bills etc, the letter of intent are required
to
> be taken by the fiance at the interview directly and are not required initially, IS
> THIS RIGHT?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards, Parag [email protected]
>