Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

legal binding document? I-134 affidavit

legal binding document? I-134 affidavit

Old Oct 17th 2003, 12:38 am
Just Joined

seattle_coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default legal binding document? I-134 affidavit

Last edited by seattle_coffee; Dec 17th 2003 at 5:32 am.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: legal binding document? I-134 affidavit

Originally posted by seattle_coffee
I have read on the internet and saw a post here on this forum that the I-134 is not enforceable.

It states on the I-134 that the person signing is liable for three years. Does anyone know the reason why the I-134 is not enforceable?

And.. doesn't the I-864 replace the I-134 anyways when it is filed after marriage?

I am preparing to send forms to my co-sponsor and would like some answers, because he is going to read this three year clause on the form. I had told him that he was at a slim risk.

The way that I understand the welfare system, a single adult isnt eligible for most welfare anyways. It is adults with children, and especially single parents with children who are eligible. A single alien without children isnt eligible for the public charge benefits they are talking about, not for awhile anyway.

but that is off the point... Can anyone give the legal reasons why the I-134 is not enforceable.???

If this is true, I would think the embassy would look upon it as the co-sponsor not carrying as much weight.

thank you for your reply
Hi:

The I-134 is now an old form. It is NOT enforceable against the affiant. The "three years" is about how long the affiant's income will be considered available to the beneficiary in calculating their eligibilty for benefits. Now, since the K-1 immigrant can't get benefits in ANY case, the calculation appears to be meaningless.

The I-864 IS enforceable.